Guest viewing is limited

TKR Yorkimom is ready to go...LTKR

@Yorkimom Anne no two knees are the same, that sure is true. Hope your new knee is stays good! Steve is doing good, trying to slowly get off the Norco. Only a week left of PT. You have a good night and get some sleep.
 
Sounds like you are doing okay Anne. The first couple days are the toughest - trying to find a balance. Hope you sleep better once you get home! It does wonders!
 
@gr82cu2 , @tiredwife I got home this afternoon. It's so good to be home, but today was a painful day. I didn't get sick today, but at times I wish I had. The nausea and the lightheadedness just won't go away. I'm not eating much because of this and with taking my meds, it's a vicious circle. My knee was very stiff and doing PT was painful. They did't do anything to me to hurt me, it was just trying to do anything that hurt. My upper thigh isn't bruised, but it it is so sore and I'm sure it's because of the tourniquet. Just getting out of the recliner is so painful. I'm sorry to complain so much, and I know it will get better, but I just needed to vent.
One good thing is that I just woke up from a two hour nap. Yeahhhh. I haven't been able to sleep that long in one stretch but one time in the hospital. Well I better get off, my eyes are drooping and I can hardly type this. Thanks for listening, Anne
 
Bad, bad nausea.....GO AWAY!!! If being in pain and barely able to move isn't bad enough let's just throw in some nausea for good measure why don't we? Blah! I'm so sorry Anne. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. At least if you can eat a few crackers or something before you take your meds that will help. You could try ginger tea or peppermint tea. Ginger tea helps with nausea really well, or has for me at times. Or send someone to get you some ginger ale. If you have any tea bags at home just make (have someone do it for you :) ) the hot tea and sprinkle in some ginger spice if you have any.

Your bruising from the tourniquet may still come about. It took mine several days and then my leg was black! It still hurts on the inside of my thigh sometimes. I wonder how tight they crank those things?

Here's hoping you are able to get some decent sleep and rest tonight. Sweet dreams! :sleep:
 
Glad you're home and getting some well needed rest. Warmest wishes for a steady recovery.
 
So glad you are home. I hope the nausea goes away, but if it hasn't, did they give you zofran?
 
@Yorkimom Sorry you are still nauseated. Glad you are home. It will get better. On knee number 1 hubby had a lot of thigh pain from the tourniquet, it does go away. His had a big knot in the muscle and rubbing it helped.
 
@Yorkimom Glad that you are home. Sorry about the pain and nausea. Hopefully the nausea will resolve soon and meds control your pain. Wishing you a restful night.
 
@gr82cu2 Hi Janet and everyone else. Yes I'm okay. It's just been hard to get online. My eyes are always droopy and with the dizziness it hurts my eyes to be on the IPad. I'm am forcing myself to eat more and the nausea is subsiding. Today was my first day of PT. I told the therapist I will push but I don't want to be pushed to pain. I really liked the PT and her assistant (a college intern). This is the PT clinic at the University of Delaware so it is a teaching clinic. There are pros and cons to this, but I think that with them teaching, they are more on top of things. I knew my numbers would be worse than at the hospital and they were. My extension with just me using my muscle to push down was 9. Then he pushed slowly and I immediately told him to stop the pain was so bad. He did stop but it seemed like it took a couple of seconds. He got it down to a 6. My flexion with me doing it was 77. Then they gave me a strap to help pull it in and I got it to 82. So I am happy with those numbers. With my first knee they were 17 and 78. So this knee seems to be doing better. They gave me exercises to do and I go back on Thursday.
I see there have been lots of posts of those that I have been following and I will try to catch up, it right now I need to stop. My eye are so heavy. Everyone please know that I am thinking of you all and wish you the best. Anne
 
Glad you're feeling a little better with the nausea. As you know, the overwhelming tiredness will be around a few weeks especially while you're on the heavy meds. And this initial healing phase is not for wimps. Your body is telling you to rest so it's ok. Your rom seems good to me! :sleep:
 
I sure hope your nausea goes. That just makes everything else more diddicult.

Glad to hear you are sleeping. D
 
@Yorkimom - Anne, I'm glad to hear that you are done. Now to get the nausea to go away! I get nauseated, too, adn I am taking both Zofran and Maxalon. I hope one of those works for you.

Best wishes. Remember, Rest, Ice, Elevate, Medicate! We'll do fine.
 
@Celle it is so good to hear from you!!! How are you doing?????
 
@Josephine or anyone else. Please help. Right now I am in severe pain and in tears. I just two 5mg of oxycodone can I also take extra strength Tylenol? Thanks, Anne
 
Yorkimom - if your bottle only says oxycodone 5 mg - not percoset and not anything that says 5/325 which indicates 325 Tylenol in it then you can add Tylenol. If you have any questions you call the pharmacy!
 
Yes, as long as it doesn't say anything about acetaminophen on the label you can take some Tylenol. I'm sorry it hurts so bad. My doctor gave me oxycodone specifically because there was no Tylenol in it. That way I could also take Tramadol with it, if needed. Hang in there!
 
@jozillz, @gr82cu2 thanks so much for the fast replies. I was in tears as I was writing it. This afternoon I had called my OS office to ask a question about blood clots as I have a painful knot in back of my knee and she returned my call right after I wrote the post. She said yes, I can take the extra strength Tylenol. I felt embarrassed as I had been crying when she called but I pulled myself together long enough to talk to her. I told her they I had just taken my oxycodone even though it was 30 minutes before the four hours and that I had worked myself up to taking them every five hours but the pain was just too intense. I told her a out PT today and she said they worked me too hard and to go tomorrow but just do gentle stretches, etc. Within a half hour of taking the meds I am now beginning to feel comfortable again.

Now for PT. I know the Bonesmart mantra and intend to follow it. This is a new rehab facility at the university and they are top rated so I thought I would try them this time. When I got to Pt today I told her again I will not allow them to hurt me. She agreed and told me that I am in charge. It's turning out that the numbers are important to them and they are measuring each time In go!

During PT today I knew I was doing a lot. It it didn't hurt, so I kept on doing it. Man have I learned from this mistake. I told them that I will not allow them to hurt me and they said at I am in charge. The only time I am really in pain is when they push down to get a reading on my extension and pushing to bend. Once they start pushing, I immediately say stop and they do stop. It may be a second or two afterward, which feels like hours, but they do stop.

Today I had PT and they worked for me for an entire hour and a half. They had me sit on a recumbent cross trainer and I worked on that for about 9 minutes. Then they had me do a walking test. They hooked me up to a harness that was hanging from the ceiling on pulleys. I had to walk with my walker all around the perimeter of the facility continuously for six minutes. I ended up walking 693 or so feet. They had me do leg raises, side leg raises, etc. They brought me over to the parallel bars and asked me to walk sideways the length of the bar and to do the same coming back. They asked if it hurt and I said no and I could do it without holding the bar. Then they had me stand putting all my weight on the operated leg and could hold on for support. I said I didn't need to hold on. They made me stand on the one leg unsupported for 30 seconds three times. The one thing they wanted me to do that I could not do was get up from a seated position without using my arms for support and then sit back down. I tried, but just couldn't do it. So I used my arms. There were a few other exercises that I can't remember right now. Anyway, I have a feeling this is just too much. I am one to push myself, but I don't want to kill myself
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom