THR Yeahhh I'm Finally Here On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning @catwoman55 - how are you feeling and how was your night? Did you ask for ice and are they managing your meds okay so they join up the gaps and keep things under control pairwise? Keep in touch - we all care :flwrysmile: x
 
Well I'm home now........ditched the co-codamol as it was making me feel sick......so now on Nefopam, lets see how these go. Think I need some kind of recliner because this chair that NHS have delivered as got to be the most uncomfy thing ever:loll: There was no mention of elevating or icing in my hospital so not done any of that maybe I should start to look into that.
 
There was no mention of elevating or icing in my hospital so not done any of that maybe I should start to look into that.
Nope - nurses look at you as if you are an alien being when you ask for ice. But the physios know all about it! Icing and elevating reduces post op swelling. And swelling = pain. Give it a try. It really does work!
 
@catwoman55

My post-op instructions say to ice and elevate for inflammation. I know it's helped so many on bonesmart. In fact, many say the ice helps as much, if not more than the pain meds. What a bummer about the chair! Im anticipating feeling disoriented when I first get home because I won't be used to my new sleeping arrangements etc. I'm praying you will feel comfortable in your bed. Use lots of pillows to find that comfy spot (experiment until it feels right). @Nana757 acually posted a pic of herself in her comfy lady lair. I'm sure she'll drop by and give you the link to her photo. In the meantime, I'll try and find it. Prayers and hugs!

EDITED: Here is the link for Nana757's "Lady Lair" photos...
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/yahoo-i-made-it.31856/page-13
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Nana757 - I enjoyed seeing you in your lair! I think if I had a wedge pillow like that for my head, I may have stayed in bed sleeping. But additionally interesting was (as I was reading down the page) about how you had tight thigh muscles / knee muscles even 6 weeks after the surgery, with PT working on stretches.

So how long did it take to work out the muscle tightness? Do you feel any of that now?
 
Well it's now 4am in England on my first night back home........I'm sooooo tired:mcoffee::yawn: I can't get to sleep in bed I'm soooo uncomfortable my back feels like it's broke........and the chair that's downstairs is soooooo not comfy......how am I ever going to get any sleep????:tiredwheel:
 
Oh no! I bought a used electric hospital bed for $200 (I'm sure I can resell it after my 2nd surgery for what I paid for it) and I bought a new mattress on Amazon for $79. Is it possible for you to either purchase a nice used bed or possibly rent one for a month? I feel so bad for you! I just (less than five minutes ago) told my hubby there's nothing lonlier in the world than being awake at 3:00 a.m. and no one to talk to. I'm sending up prayers for you. :prayer:
 
@catwoman55, soo sorry about your bad night. I think practically everyone has similar problems in the first couple of weeks. Things that worked for me were wedge pillow to make it easier to sleep almost sitting up in bed, and lift-recline electric chair - we already had one for my elderly aunt but you can hire them, or buy on ebay (which is how we got aunties in the first place). I agree totally that the standard nhs chairs are uncomfy, ours has been relegated to the kitchen.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@bettifloss.
I've been trying to find somewhere that would rent out a chair but can't seem to find anywhere, would definitely have gone downstairs last night if there had been a comfy chair!!'x
 
Dont know where you are - I can give you a number in Manchester - but the way we got that number when we needed to hire a chair for my Mum was by asking in the local mobility aids shop - they didn't hire chairs themselves but knew someone who did. Wonder if the OT team who delivered your uncomfy chair would know any hire places?


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
We are actually near to Manchester so that would be good if you had a number please.
 
@catwoman55 - so sorry about the sleeping (or lack of it) not being able to move around and get comfy in order to get to sleep must be such a nuisance! I'm tempted to get a wedge (Amazon sell them) as others on here seem to recommend them. How's the pain and are you going to get icing now? Am so surprised they didn't mention elevating. It seems to be an essential component of recovery according to one of our professional Angels on here (@Jaycey ) :angel:. Thinking of you x
 
Thanks so much for that I will try to get in touch with them.x
 
Good morning- have you had any improvement on sleep lat night? How lovely to get that help from @bettifloss. Shows yet again what a great sisterhood there is on here. I read an article in here about sleep deprivation which I found interesting. Are you icing and elevating despite strange lack of advice from hospital? Every day is a step nearer to being whole again! Keep us posted x
 
@catwoman55 A couple of things that might help on the sleep issues - be sure you are not under medicated. The discomfort is usually just post op pain. You said you ditched the co-codamol - way too early out to cut out meds. If they are making you sick please contact your GP and get something else for pain control. You could also request anti-nausea medication.

Try putting a small pillow under your knees. This eases the stress on your lower back.

Finally, take an ice pack (always wrapped in a tea towel) to bed. I did this for weeks post RTHR. I really does ease the swelling and may help you sleep more comfortably.
 
@Jaycey
They put me on a tablet called Nefopam......which I've never heard of which they said wouldn't make me feel sick.....it did, or at least that's what I'm putting it down to, and cyclising anti-sickness tablets that don't appear to be doing any good at all!!! Sleep no better don't think I got much more than about 30mins last night.........am sooooooo tired.:yawn::yawn:
 
Catwoman55. I hope you can at least nod off now and then. I know that if I don't get my pain controlled I do not sleep either. A double dose of Tylenol helps me somewhat, have you tried that too?


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom