THR Yeahhh I'm Finally Here On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try sleeping on your side but you must put a pillow between your legs to keep your leg from falling forward onto the bed.
 
I doubt at this early stage you will be able to sleep on your op side. At least I couldn't for many months. You can try it but you may not stay for too long. But always put a pillow between your legs - keeps them level and avoids crossing that midline.
 
Thanks Jaycey, good job I asked I thought it was operated side........I would have struggled then:rotfl:.
 
@catwoman55
Want to hear strange? When I started sleeping on my side (about 10 days post-op), I found sleeping on the op side more comfortable than the non-op side! However, I had the anterior approach and my incision is on the front of my hip, so this may have be why. Now both sides are quite comfortable to sleep on at 30 days.
 
@Josephine. @Jaycey I am 10½ weeks post op and for some reason I have started with bad knee pain in my operated leg which is causing me to walk with a pretty bad limp. Up to the last couple of days I was walking pretty good with hardly any limp after my initial first couple of steps, so for some reason now I seem to be getting worse not better.

I also every now and again get a bit of groin pain, but nothing as bad as the knee. Has anyone got any ideas what it could be and any ideas about how I can get back on track please? ☹️☹️
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @catwoman55
Just wanted to let you know that I, too, had knee issues following my THR. I ended up getting a knee brace from my local drug store and wore it whenever I did any extensive walking. It did help take the pressure off. I also took some Motrin. But eventually the knee pain went away. I woke up one day and, voila!, it was gone. And hasn't bothered me, since. It started about 8-10 weeks after surgery and disappeared about a month later. Hope your knee pain does the same disappearing act, sooner rather than later.
 
Thank you @Nana757, hope mine is the same then.......thanks for putting my mind at rest. :roseshwr:
 
From what I have seen on BS, knee pain preceding and following THR is quite normal and is mostly due to the strain of walking with a limp and then learning a new gait, afterwards. :)
 
@catwoman55 I see Nana has already given you some good input. You are walking totally differently now. It's not unusual to get some aches and pains as your body adjusts to this. Use a cane or crutch to avoid developing a habit of limping. A bit of over the counter pain relief might also help.

One question, are you wearing shoes that you wore pre-op? We always recommend replacing your shoes as they will have an old wearing pattern. This can also cause pain in multiple areas.

You may notice I merged your two recovery threads. Please keep all your posts about recovery on this thread so that we have a history all in one place and can advise you accordingly. Thanks!
 
@Jaycey Thanks for your advice, I've got to admit that there are a couple of pairs of shoes that I'm wearing that were pre-op!! I've got a cane so I will start using it again until the limp goes. I'm still using the painkillers I was prescribed after the op, i had cut them down to one a day with a view to coming off them, but it coincided with the knee pain which made me wonder if that was what had caused the pain and so I have gone back to 2 a day. Should i go down to 1 again and take paracetamol?

Thanks for merging threads.:)
 
It's not unusual to have to take pain meds for an extended period post op. It often depends on how long you limped around pre-op. I would take your meds as prescribed until you start forgetting a dose. Sounds like you need them to keep building on your mobility.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom