TKR Wrong Sized Implant?

Day 14

Just got back from seeing the Physio. My ROM was a very disappointing (to me) 45 degrees. On leaving hospital I got to 75 degrees, but admittedly that was with a bit of forcing as I needed to achieve this for them to send me home.

My leg is still log-like, I can’t lift it myself, need to use a strap to get it from reclining position to the floor. After completing even simple heel slides it swells up again.

The Physio said that I needed better pain management, which would enable me to push myself further. She tried forcing my leg but I told her to stop. I have an appointment with her again next week.
She was very nice, very young, but didn’t fill me with confidence. Here in the UK, there is no choice of NHS Physios, it’s pot luck who you see on the day within the hospital department.

Feeling rather down in the dumps.
:sad:

Last edited:
After fourteen days it probably feels like you have been in pain your whole life. It will get easier. I am now approaching five weeks, can now walk around the house with no stick or crutches but do like to keep them near me. Knee still stiff, like it is wrapped in bandages. Have hope, it will get easier.

@Badbone Thank you, I think I’m just a bit impatient.

I know it’s ridiculous to regret having the surgery as it was very much needed and I ended up waiting 6 years to have it, but I can’t help thinking that the pain was much more manageable before!

The Physio said that I needed better pain management, which would enable me to push myself further. She tried forcing my leg but I told her to stop.
It is not a good idea to use pain medication so you can push yourself further in PT. Pain is an important signal which tells you stop because you have done more than your knee is ready for.

It is not necessary to force your knee to bend to a painful place, that is counterproductive and will increase your pain, swelling, and inflammation, all of which will reduce the ROM they want you to achieve. :doh:I fail to understand why anyone would think this is a good idea. You don’t have to allow this.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Instead of doing painful things, spend more time resting, icing and elevating, and give your knee time to sort itself out and heal.

but I can’t help thinking that the pain was much more manageable before!
The pain was more manageable before surgery because you didn’t have the trauma inside your leg that the surgery caused.

That pre-op knee pain may have been manageable before but would have been lifelong. This recovery can be much more intense at times but it does get better and, more important, it ends. Two weeks is super early. I like to think of stubbing my toe, it might take 2-3 weeks for those bruised soft tissues to feel better. Now remember that we've had every structure of our knee - bone, muscles, tendons, ligaments AND soft tissue traumatized - it's no wonder our recovery timeline is closer to a full year.

Be kind to yourself and be patient. As my great Caribbean auntie used to say "soon come now!" (translated: it will happen shortly).

Feeling rather down in the dumps.

I was feeling exactly the same at the two-week mark, @DogTiredKnees. In fact, I just looked at my own post from day 14 and it says I didn't even want to get out of bed!

Weeks 2-3 were a real roller-coaster ride for me, but I finally started to notice improvement at the 4-week mark and have been feeling much better the past couple of days (it will be 5 weeks for me tomorrow).

Hang in there. It does get better.:hugzz:

Thanks, @Jockette. I know, you’re right. I DID ask the Physio if she had had a knee replacement herself, as someone here suggested :wink: She got a bit flustered. I’m not sure why so many Physios are obsessed with forcing a joint to pain.

Thanks @hawk2go, I love your Auntie’s saying :) Guess I just have to have more patience!

@benne68 Thanks for your kind encouragement. I look forward to feeling better, and hope I can look back too at these early posts of mine in a couple of weeks, and feel a sense of progress.

Unfortunately that’s how they were taught, which boggles my mind. And many people believe it and allow it and/or force their knee themselves. I did both because I thought they knew better than I did. After finding Bonesmart, at 4 weeks post op, I took charge of my recovery and now I’ll never let that happen again, unless it sneaks up on me, which did happen twice during my ”therapy” at less than 2 weeks post op.

@Jockette Thank you, I am so grateful for all the advice and guidance available here on Bonesmart.

I always thought that doctors etc. knew best and have only begun to question treatment in the past few years as I thought I had a better understanding of my other ongoing medical conditions than they did!

I DID ask the Physio if she had had a knee replacement herself, as someone here suggested :wink: She got a bit flustered.

I asked my PT if she'd ever watched a TRK surgery and she said yes! She had the opportunity to go into her uncle's surgery which he was awake for! :flabber: He obviously had a spinal but he kept asking her what was happening and so she'd tell him. Not sure I could do that! She's going to be helping her mother in law the last week of Oct for a week after she has a TKR. I will be curious to see if that experience brings about any changes in her rehab protocols.....:chinstroke:

Day 17

Time seems to be racing by, yet I am doing very little and the days are all blending into one.

I run my own small business, as well as having a part time “proper” job. I closed my online outlets temporarily to give me a couple of weeks rest. I need to open them again to earn some money before Christmas, but am not feeling very inspired. My partner can do the leg work, going to the Post Office to fulfil orders etc., but is not able to assist otherwise. I think I’ll wait and see how I feel on Monday.

I am signed off from my “proper” job until January, so that’s a relief!

My leg feels a bit less heavy, and I can lift it myself without using a strap. The dressing will be removed on Monday, not looking forward to actually being able to see the wound all the time!

Saw a friend of a friend who is a physio in a non official capacity yesterday and that cheered me up a bit. He suggested weight bearing a bit more (still on 2 crutches) and increasing my daily walking, but not to pain. He was not a fan of the handbook with exercises given to me by the hospital, saying that a “one size fits all” approach was wrong.

Spoke to my GP yesterday who said I was on the right track, not wanting to increase pain management as suggested by the hospital physio on Tuesday.

All in all, feeling a bit more chipper today.

Glad to hear that! Your physio friend is right - one size never fits all. You have to do whatever is right for YOUR knee. Walks around the house are good at this point, but don’t neglect to ice and elevate throughout the day.
This is a long and often tedious recovery, but so worth it! Hang in there.

Time seems to be racing by, yet I am doing very little and the days are all blending into one.

It feels like Groundhog Day most of the time, doesn't it?

What kind of online business do you have?

A friend who is about 5 years older than I am, suggested what retirement is: "every day is Saturday except when it's Sunday". I love that and found it to be quite true when I wasn't working last month. I had to look at my med-minder to know the day of the week - lol. I just considered it practice.

Yes, Groundhog Day, indeed @Susie-Q!

I design prints, cards, small gifts etc., and sell wholesale to shops and also via online platforms :) Started as more of a hobby, I suppose, and then became another stream of income. It’s good to have a creative outlet, I think.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom