TKR Wrong Sized Implant?

@jaspa Yes, I’m definitely loosing track of days! Don’t know what I’d do without my phone :)
 
Day 23

Nothing much to report, just updating this. Going out for one short walk at day, around 20 mins or so. It’s really good to get outside. Continuing with short walks around our flat too, of course, every hour or so. Reaching about 3000 steps per day, according to my FitBit. Icing and elevating the rest of the time. I’ve noticed that my knee no longer feels red hot to me, so I am less tolerant of the ice. That’s a sign of less internal inflammation, I hope. Still having trouble sleeping, as it’s hard to get comfortable and I’m only able to lie on my side with a pillow between my knees for 10 minutes or so, before it becomes intolerable.

I must admit that I’m not doing the exercises given by my physio. They still cause pain, rather than discomfort. I figure that the walking and weight bearing that I’m doing daily must be enough. The swelling is greatly reduced and my knee feels a lot less tight. Still using two crutches inside and out, but mainly to steady myself, and as a reminder not to push myself too far, rather than lean on.

I didn’t take the usual dose of 300mg Gabapentin last night, for the first time, and it seems ok without it, so far. Glad to have a few left though, just in case I need it. Still taking 30mg dihydrocodeine every 6 hours and 1000mg Paracetamol every 6 hours.

Over and out :)
 
Thanks for the update. Sounds like your progressing well. It's early times, be patient with yourself.
 
I must admit that I’m not doing the exercises given by my physio. They still cause pain, rather than discomfort. I figure that the walking and weight bearing that I’m doing daily must be enough.
This is plenty. We’ll done!
 
Day 27

I’ve been having an awful few days and feeling very low. The codeine based drugs I was taking caused the worst constipation ever. To offset this, I took some laxatives, firstly to no avail, so I took more, but now the floodgates are open. I think I may have inadvertently caused an issue with my rear end. Probably too much information, but perhaps this will help someone in the future, reading this post.

I have stopped all medication today to try and sort myself out. The paracetamol was giving me terrible heartburn. I’m currently eating the BRAT diet and hoping for the best.

My knee is still very rigid with virtually no bend, but at the moment I feel that this is the least of my worries!
 
Sorry you're going through this dip. I hope the diet and pain are sorted soon.
 
5 weeks:

I can’t believe the surgery was 5 weeks today.

I’m going to try and focus on some positives, as I’m aware I only seem to complain on here!

1. I can now lift my leg myself, without using a strap.
2. No longer having stomach or bathroom issues :wink:
3. Am able to walk outside for up to 30 mins at a time, still using both crutches, but more to steady myself, rather than lean on.
4. Off all pain medication (to stop stomach and bathroom issues) and it is bearable.
5. Sleeping a little better, but only on my back.
6. Incision is not too gruesome to look at, and I’m told is healing well.
7. Swelling is down, even compared to last week.
8. Feeling less miserable!

I’ve cancelled physiotherapy again this week, as I know that they will be disappointed in my ROM and I don’t really fancy arguing about it again. I hardly have any bend at all, it is still very tight and rigid. But I’m feeling more optimistic that it’s all a matter of time and I’ll get there in the end

:)
 
Congrats on all those accomplishments quietly happening in the background while you focus on bending. :)
 
:goodpost:

That is a great list of positives! You are coming along well.

I agree with you, the bend will come and there’s no point in arguing with those who want it to happen faster than it will. Well done on taking charge of your recovery!
 
6 weeks:

The weeks are drifting by so fast, but I’m feeling a bit more positive today.

My knee is still very rigid, but now at about 75 degrees ROM, compared to 45 degrees last week. Haven’t really done much different other than walk for periods of up to 30 mins, which seems to be my limit, and the usual ADL and heel slides/stretches. Standing without moving is tricky, I can do it for about 10 minutes at a time.

My FitBit tells me I’m walking on average 3500 steps per day now, a definite improvement from the past couple of weeks.

I feel that, hopefully, the worst part of this year long recovery is over, and although there will be challenges ahead, I am better equipped to deal with them. Thank you for your support :)
 
6.5 weeks:

Had a bit of a set back, as now have a UTI and a tooth infection. I have an allergy to penicillin, so have been prescribed Nitrofurantoin, which I don’t think I’ve had before.

I suppose the UTI explains the ongoing retching, nausea, vomiting and general malaise. But strangely I didn’t have any of the usual UTI symptoms, only chills and nausea. I only took in a urine sample as a precaution, but now I’m so glad that I did.

My knee has almost become incidental this week, as I’ve been struggling with the other symptoms. I managed to walk 5000 steps yesterday, without any discomfort, even though my ROM is still only 75 degrees.
 
Sorry to hear you have a UTI, that will leave you a bit uncomfortable but at least it is being treated.
Good progress on the knee, 5000 steps is excellent.
The ROM will eventually get better too, I rarely worried about mine, and 2 years on its fine.
Wishing you a good weekend and I hope that you feel better soon xx
 
I'm sorry you have a UTI. I got one too at around week 3-4 post-op. Glad you are being treated. My daughter is allergic to penicillin too.
 
I'm glad you got diagnosed and hope the outcome is seamless. I'm rooting for you.
 
@DogTiredKnees I'm so sorry to read this. I empathize as I just got over a UTI, and the antibiotic I was given caused nausea and GI issues. I spent several days back in bed.

Be patient with yourself while you recuperate. The Knee will still be there -- waiting for you -- when you are feeling better.

Take care!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom