Guest viewing is limited

TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jebsw, thanks for the entertaining bedtime reading about your roommate experience! I was glad to have a private room, and then after a nighttime run to the ER from rehab, and being admitted to a room with a roommate for all of 6 hours in the morning, I was Really glad to go back to my private room! And she was a quiet little thing! At least the pain in the butt would have distracted you from the pain in knee! Congratulations on your second knee and I hope it feels better next week!
 
Jeb, I have some questions to ask you:
1. what dose of what pain meds are you taking and how often?
2. how often and how high are you elevating your leg?
3. what is your activity level?
 
Hi Jo,
I'm taking oxycocet every six hours. Sometimes I take a Tylenol 3 in-between, if it's very bad.
I'm keeping my leg up most of the time, but sometimes it's more comfortable down for a bit. Because of positional nausea (in a different thread, after knee 1), I can't elevate as high as you suggest in your illustrations, so I just do my best.
Activity level dropped for a few days after the PT visit. I'm not doing much...trips to the kitchen and bathroom,(a very big house, though) yesterday just outside for some air. Lots if squirming to try to get comfortable. And up to keep moving and mobile and do some exercises. focusing on gait when I walk.
Tx
 
Big hugs and giant prayers for you Jebsw, and what you had to put up with that awful roommate. I would have requested that either she or I be moved. That must have been horrible for you, I am sorry you had to experience a roommate that was obviously quite self centered and selfish.

Sorry to hear you are hurting, and am sending healing prayers your way that things ease for you soon.

My surgery is only 4 days away. Right now I am not too anxious or worried, just ready to get on with the recovery process. I am going to a different hospital than I normally use and they are supposed to have a big holistic process with massages etc. Its going to be a new experience, but after reading your story, I think I will be praying more for a private room. LOL

Hope everyday you just get better and better. Big hugs!

Gail*Nanners*
 
Thank you, Nanners. I know (I hope!!) this will pass. I'm really happy with the first knee from six months ago, and it was a hard start too.
A massage sounds great.
Best wishes for a smooth recovery for you!
 
Yikes, what a room mate from...ahem...
Sounds like you're doing ok now.
 
Well, it sounds good but you didn't tell me how much oxycet and Tylenol you are taking at a time.

Also, are you trying to lay down almost flat when you elevate? That can increase any nausea. I never laid down, just reclined back about 45 degrees (half way) at most.
 
Oops. The oxycocet label says "oxycidone HCI 5/ acetamenophine 325". I usually take 1 pill; last night was so bad I took 2, which it says I can do. The T-3 is 30 mg.

Mostly I sit on the couch with my leg up, or a short while in the recliner. I can't lie flat. Sounds about like what you did.
Thanks.
 
A bit better tonight. Hills and valleys, I guess. I KNOW this will get better. I know I just went through this with the other knee (which seems a bit jealous of the attention and is acting up a tad). But I am not so sure knowing really means knowing. If I were to say that out loud, it would make so much more sense! Can you tell I took two of the painkillers before bed tonight? :wink:
 
You actually sound pretty lucid. I would not have guessed your post was preceded by the taking of drugs. And your comment about "not sure knowing really means knowing" makes perfect sense to me---and I am NOT on drugs. What you're saying is that you know what to expect from the TKR in the general sense of the word, but you don't know what the specifics of the second knee are going to be. And it's still very early on with this second knee.

Reading your last few posts always makes be glad I did mine almost at the same time. I had to put up with both at the same time---I didn't feel twice as bad when they hurt---I just felt bad. And they both recovered about the same as they went along. But I can honestly say that along with my hip replacement, this is one of the best things I've ever done. And I do LOVE my new knees! I hope you too will reach this stage in the not too distant future.
 
Thanks :) I'm glad I made sense to someone other than myself!

Sometimes I wish I'd had mine done at the same time, but at others, I can't imagine having done that and coping by myself. But I guess it's a moot point now. (I can imagine a cow with shiny new knees here, going MOOt!) Right now, I feel a bit better, but I do feel loopy. (that cow thing, though, that's pretty normal for me. Scary, isn't it?) I do love knee 1 and already am quite fond of knee 2, but as you say it's very early on. I forget that. It's not even two weeks. Wow.
 
Actually, Tylenol 3 is 300mg acetaminophen + 30mg codeine so you are taking that and 5mg oxycodone + 325mg acetaminophen . It's very easy to get confused with these composite drugs. You need to be very careful and add up what you are taking of the acetaminophen (Tylenol) to make sure you don't exceed the maximum of 4,000mg per 24hrs as it could be harmful to your liver if done over even just a few days.

So if you are taking the oxycodone and T3, you should not take more than about 10 or 11 tablets altogether in any one 24hr period. So I suggest you focus on taking the oxycodone more than the T3 as that is the stronger pain med. Just keep a tally of the acetaminophen numbers to be safe.
 
Thank you, Jo. Numbers are a bit scary, but it's reassuring to know I'm far off your total tally of 10 or 11 a day. At worst, it's five. But I will ease up on the Tylenol. I appreciate your advice!
 
You don't need to ease up on them, quite the opposite - just be aware..

You should be taking oxycodone 4 times a day as prescribed. Make at least three of the doses the two tablets as prescribed. The rest of the 4,000mg you can use to take the T3. But you are seriously UNDER medicated for the amount of pain you are in.
 
Oh, wow.
It never occurred to me I was under medicating, but once someone knowledgeable says it, it suddenly makes sense.
Thank you so much. :flwrysmile:
 
Jo,
I want to thank you again. Things feel better today, though I do feel a bit loopy. Slept a LOT though in bits and spurts, but pain is more under control. You're great! :flwrysmile:

Yesterday the PT came and was pleased with my bend. I've regressed a bit on extension because of the pain and swelling after the last round with her, so she was very gentle and worried that it had been so bad afterwards. New exercise aimed at regaining that ground. Oh, and I walked a couple of steps on my own today!! Very gingerly, and with support nearby, but I wanted to open a window and there was no way to get at with the walker. Woohoo. I'm back on the upswing, I hope :SUNsmile:
 
Staples come out today. I'm anxious to see what it looks like under the dressing. Ohh, and I'll get to take a real shower! :rolleyes:
 
funny how surgeons are different, I got to take a shower as soon as I got home even with staples in. Doc just said let the water run over it, don't scrub it. They take the staples out, but then put strips over mine that will fall off in another few days.
 
Interesting, because the no-shower thing is standard here. I have a long dressing on it for two more days and then can shower. The invasion looks really good, seems to be healing well. I got 27 staples out, and only 22 of them really hurt when they were pulled :sad: I found the outing utterly exhausting. My leg is terribly swollen and painful. The upside is that when I got home I had the BEST nap, a solid three hours of deep sleep :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom