THR WOOHOO I'm On The other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
wigmar sounds like good advice , I'll give it a go , I'm getting braver and I've no problem looking at it now :)

young_gun91 Thanks , I'm doing good , I did all my suffering before the operation .

I've cut way down on my meds , to about 25% , and I'll go on over the counter meds on Monday , I feel good about that and have only been having soreness from the scar and rehab and that's been very manageable , OMG why didn't I get this done sooner :rotfl:

I started going to my physiotherapist yesterday , Saturday , it was hard work , I knew it would be from previous experiences from previous injuries .
I got a lot of positives , I've got a lot of muscle mass , v. low risk of dislocation , still have to abide by the 90deg rule and no twisting but I think it's a mental advantage to allow myself to do my therapy without fear .
Again I did my research and my Physio is fantastic I picked the right one for me , she does what she needs to do , pushes me as much as I need to be pushed , she is extremely fit , which I've always considered a therapist should be to do the job right and I feel confident doing all the free standing exercises with her .
I did an hour session , 45 min of therapy , and I'm sore in a good way , I've been shown how much my new hip can do and be pushed to aid recovery quickly without having complications and it's not that bad .
I was walking up and down the room unaided and have started doing the same at home , doing 20/30 steps once or twice in the day , I've got more confidence since being with the physio .
She has advised me to start using one crutch most of the time , concentrating on form rather than quantity in PT exercises and walking , I'm feeling very confident about my new hip's weight bearing capabilities and hopefully all going well I'll be able and allowed to walk unaided when I go back to my consultant on the 19th Nov for the post op check up .


For the following , it is advisable to seek medical clearance before embarking on any form of exercise program
:
My advise to anyone getting THR after seeing my PT today and what worked for me to aid recovery is the pre op training I did . I kept doing resistance training and cardiovascular workouts until two weeks before the op and used the crutches around the house at times for a month before as well . I was in pain for many years and my training helped relieve the pain and symptoms of OA to a certain degree , although my training had to be reduced I didn't stop and kept muscle mass in the leg which my PT says helped . The upper body resistance training will aid using the crutches and using them beforehand will all contribute to the mind and body having less to think about and less muscular strain to add to the ''drain'' from the op . The cardio training will aid in recovery by having a more efficient blood/oxygen supply to the muscles , the energy / recovery system , to the operated area to contribute to a faster recovery .
Always remember that you are never too old to start any form of exercise program .
Seek a program which will suit you , get advice from a qualified gym instructor or Personel trainer after medical clearance .
 
I'm just back from a 20 min walk , first time out on one crutch , and I feel great , on the advise of my PT I'll just do 20 min walks and do 3/4 a day and progress the exercises to more advanced and load bearing ones .
I took a rest day yesterday , I was a little sore after the PT session , more boundaries being pushed :) , and glad I did . I was falling asleep a lot yesterday and didn't sleep at all last night , I got out of bed very early this morning and straight onto the site , said to hell to this ( not the site :) the earliness and need to get out ) and went out for my walk , I'm sitting down now and feel like I could go out again WOOHOO ( but I won't until later :angel: )
 
Such great news PDH63, i totally agree with you on the pre op training and preparation. It's also so important to have a good PT, i feel the same way about my PT, he is fit and pushes me without overdoing it. I'm nearly 3 weeks post op and haven't taken any pain meds for my operated hip since i was in hospital, i've been told that all the work i did in terms of cardio and resistance training before the surgery has helped me heaps.

I've been walking around without my crutches and yesterday i surprised my family when i came to visit and walked up 5 flights of stairs instead of having taken the lift! Even though i had no mobility before the surgery i was always swimming and doing as much resistance and strength work as i could and that has really helped so much. I also advise anyone going into surgery to try and do as much as they can and work on their strength and fitness pre op as it will significantly help aid recovery.
 
So pleased you are still doing so well, and thanks for the advice .. :)
 
Hi Pat, I just read your whole thread- so helpful to me! I'm going in on Weds for my RTHR and every time I read about a recovery on this site, it helps me to realize I am doing this at the right time, and life will get so much better. You were walking for 40 minutes? Amazing, I can't even imagine that, I can walk from my car to a store for minimal shopping, and limping all the way. Using a crutch now that I am off AI pre-surgery. Yikes! I can't wait to get to the other side.
 
young_gun91 WOW , your doing great , it's amazing to see the look on peoples faces when they see our advances in recovery , I don't even believe how far I've come , it's great isn't it ? :heehee:

Tibs Thanks

zumzumpammy glad my recovery story helped , I got loads of help and advice before my op reading peoples recovery stories . Yes it sounds like you need to get it done , I was crippled as well at times and like you my active lifestyle was been ruined and I needed to do something about it .

Good luck for tomorrow , I found that asking for something to relax me beforehand helped , it was a just in case measure because I felt ok and I was surprised at how calm I was , even joking with my surgeon and anaesthastist
while waiting to go in . I think I was just glad to be getting it over with .

Life will be so much better for you after and you'll be back dancing and training in no time , something that constantly comes up on this site is the fact that ''Time does fly'' , I can't even believe it'll be 4 weeks since op on Wednesday , you'll be thinking the same down the road .


I was out for a walk again this morning and the soreness I had the first time out on one crutch and after the tougher exercises isn't there now , hopefully it was just my body getting used to the ''Next Level'' .
 
I must be getting a lot better , I'm getting bored , there's only so much tv to be watched .
I started watching ''The Sopranos'' yesterday , I've never seen it before , I got through eight episodes , what a show , I love it . I've watched ''The Walking Dead'' before and started watching that again as well , I'm half-way through the second series , I'm amazed at how much I'd forgotten , it's another great show but I have serious ''cabin fever'' , I want to get back driving and getting out and having some freedom .
I'm doing more load bearing exercises and walking without crutches for a couple of hundred yards when out for my walk and around the house .

I'm seeing my physiotherapist again tomorrow and back to my OS next Tuesday so hopefully I'll get the go-ahead to drive and walk unaided the following week , six weeks post op .
 
I'm a Walking Dead fan too, just finished Season 3 last night. Since you like series, some of the others that I have really enjoyed (maybe you've already seen them) are The Wire, Six Feet Under, Dexter, Justified, Homeland, Breaking Bad, and The Bridge. I'm not sure if they are available in Ireland.
 
How time does fly, soon you will be out driving and then Christmas and the New Year... We have a fabulous online New Years Eve party.. You must join in if you can :)
 
Poppet Sounds like a plan , I look forward to it , It'll be fun with all the times zones on here and it will be another 7 weeks recovery down the road WOOHOO :)
 
I'm a Walking Dead fan too, just finished Season 3 last night. Since you like series, some of the others that I have really enjoyed (maybe you've already seen them) are The Wire, Six Feet Under, Dexter, Justified, Homeland, Breaking Bad, and The Bridge. I'm not sure if they are available in Ireland.
Hi zumzumpammy , congrats on coming over to this side WOOHOO :happydance: ( I like that they move as well :) )

I'm in bed , 6 am here , just finishing season two of Walking Dead .
The Wire : Excellent , started watching that from the start again before going into hospital 10/10
Six Feet Under : OK , didn't hold me only watched two seasons and gave up .
Dexter : What a show , it had everything , loved Debs , as we say here '' she's a mouth like a sewer '' . Will we see him again , I think it's open for a come back in some shape or form .
Justified : never watched it but it's deffo on my ''one to watch '' , I love getting the whole lot together , especially for winter days , sitting down and going through 5/6 episodes .
Homeland : Gripping , brilliant acting , great script , we're on season three here not far behind USA , Love it .
BREAKING BAD : Bryan Cranston is amazing , a far cry from Malcom's dad , one of the best shows ever , I've watched it twice .
The Bridge : that's a scandanavian show ??? If the same one we have a remake called ''The Tunnel'' , it's just started and I've got the first five eps recorded ready to view .
All great shows .

I've watched others :
24 : ok , entertaining
Fringe : syfi brilliance , I loved Walter , watched twice , the ending could have been better.
Game of Thrones : on par with Breaking Bad , watched twice
Prison Break : Should have ended after one season , watched it all but that's enough .
Bate's Motel : Brilliant , I've seen Psycho a few times so this is an interesting take on it .
Deadwood : Brilliant , should have been more than three seasons , but the masses rule .
Boardwalk Empire : I've always liked Steve Buscemi , watch it religiously every week .
House : He's a genius , hillarious , loved his logic , I wouldn't like to be his friend though .
Sopranos : I've just started it this week , never saw it before , I've one more episode in season 1 to watch , a great show .
CSI : I'm going through the whole box sets , It's my ''Turbo Trainer show'' I watch it while training so it will be a few more weeks before I watch anymore .

I'm sure there's loads more great shows I've forgotten .
I'm not addicted to tv :rotfl:
Suits me at the moment :)
 
Yes, I forgot Game of Thrones, I had to watch it twice just to remember who was who. And Boardwalk Empire I liked too. Deadwood was one that my hubby liked, but I couldn't get into it. The Bridge takes place on the border in El Paso, Texas. A body is found on the bridge with exactly half in each country, which gets the two police depts. interacting. Diane Kruger from Inglorius people is the main character, she plays a detective with Asperger's. Another two that are only on Netflix is Derek, which is Ricky Gervais, and Orange is the New Black, about a young woman that goes to prison for drug charges, she is upscale and is a fish out of water, but not a comedy. Yes I'm a TV addict too.:shrug: I'll have to check into a couple that you mentioned, now that I have a lot of time on my hands.
 
You're so right about Game Of Thrones , that's what I found watching it the second time round , how much I'd missed out , the names , the reasons for certain things in hindsight . I love the way that no character is expendable , poor old Sean Bean and then his family later on , who would have thought , what a shock , certainly didn't see that happening :yikes:

There's a third ''The Bridge'' , ye that's the one , there's the Scandinavian and the English/French adaptation called ''The Tunnel'' . I've looked at IMDB and I think I'll wait for the FX , USA version , subtitles in the others , besides I love the FX productions .

I love Tarantino's films , don't like Ricky Gervais , I forgot about Low Winter Sun , it's got me hooked and an FX production as far as I can remember .
(zumzumpammy do I post too much :rotfl: )
 
Nearly five weeks down the road .
My sleep is still all over the place , I'm ok with that I don't need to have any strict pattern at the mo , I nod off a few times during the day and go to bed for an hour or two after my evening walk , I'm generally in bed for 11 , watch tv and go on the internet , maybe get a few hours sleep watch a movie and get out of it around 6:30 when my partner is getting up for work and go for a walk . I'm increasing the distance I walk without a crutch and it feels fine my PT gave me the go ahead for that and I do watch it and the progression from two to one crutch has been great , feels funny at the start as is walking unaided and I feel stronger each week .

I had my first night in bed with Mags , my partner , on Saturday night , I sleep in the spare room for the time being because of my sleep pattern and it was good to share a bed again but I've been back in the spare since it wouldn't be fair until I get back to sleeping regularly .

I'm going back to see my OS tomorrow so fingers crossed he'll give me the go ahead to walk unaided and to drive and cycle next week when it's six weeks post op .
 
WOOHOO !!!!!! :)

I got the all clear today , all restrictions gone , I'm ok to drive , cycle and walk without crutches .
I'm going to be wise though and still take it easy , no long drives and I'll take the crutch on long walks just in case I get tired or sore but God I'm looking forward to getting back to normality .

I stopped at a golf store and fishing tackle shop on the way home , I CAN'T WAIT :dancy:

It was funny to see the prosthetic in the X-ray , it's unreal , it's in my body :shocked:
 
Hi Pat, how caught up are you on this season of Walking Dead? I just got caught up last night, have 1 more from this week to watch, but don't want to give away anything if you're not caught up. But have you noticed two of the main characters were also featured characters on The Wire?
 
I watch it on FOX uk we're up to episode 5 , ''Internment'' .

OMG have you noticed the amount of characters from other shows that keep cropping up all over the place .
And Oh yes , Chad Coleman : Tyreese in WD and Dennis Wise the boxer in TW
Lawrence Gilliard : Bob in WD and D'angelo Barksdale in TW
Mag's is like me , could be annoying for anyone else but it's like a game to us , we shout out if we see a new character on any show that we've seen before , great fun .
If we get stuck there's alway IMDb , we'd be lost without it , am I really addicted ??? , I love it :)

I wasn't gone on season three but this is making up for it big time .
 
Yes, our favorite game too! Omar as Chalky White in Boardwalk Empire, and Little Finger on GOT was on The Wire, can't remember his character name.
 
I went out for a cautious drive afterwards , I was going to do a loop of araound 5 miles , I had no irrittation and the leg felt strong even when I practiced hard breaking so went for a longer spin .
I went to a tackle shop 25 miles away , I took the crutch in the car just in case but didn't need it , spent an hour looking at all the gear , like a kid in a candy store , bought loads of gear and went home , all with no discomfort , I actually felt more freed out . I think because I was being over cautious with all movements I had a more extreme benefit when off the restrictions . I walked upstairs last night at one stage came back down and was all exited , Mags asked ''what are you so cheerful about ?'' , I said I'd just climbed the stairs one leg after the other , a little slowly but no pain .

When I got home nothing would do me only to go up in the attic , bring down all my fishing gear and today I'm going to start servicing reels and re spool with new line , I may even go fishing for an hour tonight .
Oh ye while in the attic I found flat pedals , so I'll put those on the bike on the turbo trainer and have a go on that , I wouldn't feel confident with the clip ins .

It'll be good to get back to regular training I've been eating the same as when I was training hard , I'm not now so there was only one place it could go !!!!!!!! Ah well I'll be back in my old clothes in a couple of months and it won't be so bad having extra layers for the winter :bicycle1:

Life just gets better and better :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom