THR WOOHOO I'm On The other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you caught up on "The Walking Dead" ? :dancy:
 
Believe me, PDH63 I am very well aware it's best not to compare, and that gratefulness is a big key to happiness, and feeling content. Having said that, I'm human and sometimes I don't manage that perfectly! :blush:

FWIW, I also put off doing something about my hips forever and a day - you are so not alone in that! I waited til the pain was excruciating and waking me up at night - I don't recommend that, lol. I have too much other stuff medically going on and have had so many surgeries the thought of another one was just too much. I have another THR to "look forward to" in 2014, so one benefit of this one is that it gives me time to prepare mentally....

I love "The Wonders of the Universe" - hope you enjoyed it too!

If the weather remains terrible, my view is always that it makes "perfect napping weather." Nothing like settling in for a cozy nap on a crazy rainy day. :sleep:

I hope your day is grand, and I believe 100% you will be back on a bike in no time! Keep on keepin' on!
:bicycle1:
 
I've watched the first two episodes of this season's Walking Dead , I watch it on Fox , I think it's UK one ??? , episode three was on tonight but I was falling asleep watching tv earlier and needed to have a shower and change the dressing on the scar , Mags , my partner changed it , she's fantastic , I don't think I'd be able to do it without fainting :heehee: . I did the wise thing and will watch it tomorrow night .

Like the Walking Dead I fell asleep the minute I put on 'The Wonders of the Universe' I get tired and have to knap a few times a day , I love it , nice to use this ''napping weather'' and not be controlled by any schedule , I'm enjoying my recovery in that respect and watching loads of tv and BluRays . I've been studying all the new golf gear out there at the moment and making my wish list of stuff to buy for next year , I haven't played with five years and looking forward to getting back to that as well . Thank God for the internet .

I got my forty minutes walk done again today , Mags says the wound is very clean and my ROM is getting better so I deserve my laziness :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :heehee:
 
You are going great guns PDH63 I also w was and am still very tired. My surgeon says that the 2 biggest complaints at 6 weeks are being tired and not sleeping through the night!!!!

It must be hard not getting outside....in Oz at least we can get outside for a change

Keep up the good work.....you are doing so well :yay: :yay: :yay:
 
Thanks Vetgirl , we're in autumn at the moment so weather is mild but wet and dreary , I'd imagine it's sunny and hot in Australia , that's not a bad thing either in recovery , it's not so bad to look out and see rain when I'm not able to get out after the surgery .

I took a rest today , I wasn't elevating my leg enough times during the past two days and got stiff and swollen but back on track again , I'm listening to my body and sometimes it shouts :rotfl: , so looking forward to getting out for a walk tomorrow .
 
I hope the weather improves so you get out PDH63. We have lots of bushfires here at the moment so smoggy skies but warm weather!!!!

6.5 weeks out i still live by the bonesmart mantra of icing, rest and elevating with no regrets :egypdance: :happydance: :yay:
 
Hi Pat, I was just checking in to see how you are doing. Sounds to me like you are getting along crazy well. If you were walking 40 minutes a day after just one week post surgery, you're well on the way to a successful recovery.

In an earlier post you mentioned feeling cranky, I suspect that may be caused by the pain meds. I re-read my recovery posts that I made in the weeks following my surgery and was surprised by some of things that I said. To be honest I didn't even remember making some of those posts. Once I was off anything that had the word -codone in it, I felt much more like myself (although it took a week or so after being off them).

Keep up the good work. Glad to see that you are doing well.

G.
 
Thanks G , I remember you having a terrible time at the start of your recovery , glad to hear your doing good .
I have been lucky with having very little pain , and that was only from stiffness , I don't know if the medications were doing the trick or I was just lucky but I continue to take them . Today though I was late in taking my meds , I took the first lot @ 7am , I was due to take the next lot @ 1pm but was messing around on the net and humming and hawing about going for a walk , we were having terrible showers and wind , and @ 3.30 I decided to go and got back after 4 . I'd forgotten to take my meds , I felt ok and didn't realise it until I saw my meds bag on the table @ 4.30 GULP ! I checked , I put everything in notes on the phone , and was late , I am nearly due a new script and thought ''I'm doing ok '' I'll start reducing the meds , instead of the four times a day I've gone to three times a day , 75% of meds . I'm feeling good tonight , in bed for the past three hours with my leg elevated and a now warm ice pack :heehee: , so I'll rethink the meds in four days again and see what the doc says . I've been taking loads of naps , going up to bed to elevate and ice , more so after my walk and exercise and I thinks that's been more beneficial , no more swelled foot and leg while sitting down , than anything else .

It was great to get out again today weather improved , I don't mind the bad weather , I'd only be afraid of falling or the extra pressure and awkwardness of walking in strong wind and set my recovery back .
 
change the dressing on the scar , Mags , my partner changed it , she's fantastic , I don't think I'd be able to do it without fainting
PDH63, I'm with you....I let my husband take care of checking the incision and changing the dressing. He says it looks wonderful....i say...i'm good...i don't need to see it...Took me a while to look at the last one too....gives me the heebie jeebie's!
 
The dressing came off last night , still haven't looked at the scar , Mag's says it looks very clean , no redness , swelling or anything that doesn't look right . She says there's some scabbing , didn't expect that , wanted a clean , clean , very clean scar but I reckon that's normal ???? I expect too much :heehee: .

I got in touch with the physiotherapist today so will start next week .
I went out for a walk today , trying to keep to my plan , upped it 10 minutes this week to 50 min , but lost track and did nearly 60 min but felt good , back to 50 tomorrow though and keep a closer watch to the time .

I'm watching loads of tv , nearly watched all of 'Boardwalk Empire' season three this week and loads of natural science programs , who says there's a bad side to THR :heehee: .

I haven't played golf for 5/6 years , I'm buying clubs next week , I hope to start putting in 4 weeks and build up from there , treating myself for going through the op and looking forward to getting life back to better than what was the norm .
 
I was afraid to look at my incision but had to change the bandage after a few days, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I feared. I had very little swelling or redness, which was nice!
 
Steph7409 What are we scared of , wev'e been through a serious operation on the other side and I still can't look at the scar ??????????????? I've turned to my right in front of mirrors after showers so I won't see it :rotfl: .
A little scar causing so much grief :whistle:

I took a rest today , weather was crazy here , got up late , watched tv and Mags took us up to friends , 30 min spin in the car each way , I had to lie down in bed early after coming home , I had a little bit of an iritating ache in the scar area .
I was thinking about it after , I'd been up all day and hadn't used elevation and ice , I'd been doing it three times a day up until today and the car ride didn't help after not doing those , fine now after lying down , elevating and icing . I've had no swelling since last week and put that down to the ice and elevation so I'll keep that up .
 
Glad to hear your doing so well, time has flown by hasn't it. Don't do what I've done and over do things matey, I'm struggling a bit and on eight weeks post op. I think I thought I could run before I could walk :kittykiss:
 
PDH63, I knew I would be a queasy baby if I looked directly at my incision. I took a pic with my phone when the nurse took off the surgical dressing. Some how in my mind I could look at the pic and not faint. Lol. I have since looked, I have staples. It looks very Frankenstienish. :eek: but it's healing very nicely.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
 
Another milestone passed .
Curiosity got the better of me , cat is still alive though :)

I was feeling the scar last night , Mags had said there was some scabbing , and it was the usual , normal , been there a while scabby feeling , I was even brave and rubbed some away and I didn't faint :heehee: .
Well tonight I went one better , I looked at it :yikes: .
I was after coming out of the shower , went into the dressing room and was gently dabbing the scar with the towel and I kind of looked down at it . I could only see a bit of it from the side , so I said what the hell and looked at it in the mirror and it looked ok and I had no problem with it .

I'll have to put up a pic when it's all nice and clean :)

I've booked a PT appointment for Saturday and keeping up my own PT and sticking to the plan and resting , icing and elevating .
 
I think it's so funny that you cannot look at your scar. I mean that in the warmest way. ;) I have a difficult time looking at other people's stuff, but not my own. <3
 
calikat
I know it's funny , I've been that way since I was a child , believe it or not I'm brilliant ''first on scene'' of an accident , I've done it a few times , it's after when I think about it that the problem starts , I've a vivid imagination and get queasy after . As for myself it's always been a No No with injuries and the thoughts of them .

You know what's funny , I've raced motor bikes , mountain bikes , off road enduo motor bikes and all with the way I am about injuries and operations , can you believe that , I'm a total contradiction :rotfl:
 
My physio said to massage the scar with vitamin e cream, it worked a treat, helps lift off the scabs. Mine was also very sticky fro the glue dr used and it helped lift that off as well. :)
 
Congrats Pat! You trooper, you sound like you are doing brilliantly! So good to hear :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom