THR WOOHOO I'm On The other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you are doing really well. Great news!!!!
 
Thanks everyone .

6:00 am GMT
I woke up for toilet run and feel I've got enough sleep for now so straight onto Bonesmart :)

I'm going home today , WOOHOO , I think around 11am , I'm so looking forward to being in my own space again , the hospital stay was a comfortable experience and the staff were brilliant here in the Bons Secours Hospital in Cork , Ireland and couldn't fault them anywhere but now the real recovery starts , now it's up to me and how much I want a good recovery .

I feel first and foremost my mental recovery will skyrocket going home , a huge milestone , I'll feel more comfortable and only have my partner and myself to worry about ( she's been fantastic ) .
Once the mental health is good the physical will follow .
I've my recovery plan noted on my phone with edits to mark off each day as the exercises are done , it will be motivation seeing my progress on ''paper'' and if needs be increase or decrease exercising according to how I'm feeling ( I'm hoping they will be all increases , but each day as it comes and accept what each brings ) .
 
Going home is awesome PDH63

A great milestone. Enjoy :yay: :yay: :yay:

You were wise to take it slow and easy and enjoy (as far as you can :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: ) the hospital experience
 
Yay!!! Nothing like being home!!!
Maggie May


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Wow guy I can tell by your attitude you'll be one I wont have to force much of my indispensable infinate wisdom on.Good for you,bad for me.(Im full of myself) You hit the nail on the head its all in the head.Hugh I just used head twice in the same sentance.Wonder what Sigmand Fraud would say about that?Ya I know I spelled Freud wrong.I digress.You sound by your posts like a typical Irishman,as I am also one.Stubborn and determined to survive.I'll be back on those not so chippy days to bore you with uninteligable gobbledy gook.Peace in Ireland.
 
Freud would say : '' You shouldn't have hit the first nail in the first head which caused the problem with the second head which caused you to use the two heads ''
:rotfl: I crack myself up .
 
12:00 MN GMT
I got home at around 1pm , getting into and out of the car and the journey home wasn't fun , I was left in no doubt about the recovery ahead but once home I felt great .
I had something to eat and walked around the house for 20 minutes , I felt I could have done more but that had been an increase of 10 minutes more than I was doing in hospital and felt like a hampster going around and around , the weather is terrible here at the moment so need to stay in for safety , so stopped at that .
I watched tv for a bit and was starting to fall asleep after my meds so went up to bed .
I used the elevate and ice method for the first time , I'm in bed now again and using it , WOW it's great , I had a bit of swelling and the difference it made after only 10 minutes was amazing , I'll do a few sessions every day as required . I'm looking forward to getting out and increasing the time spent walking when capable .

It's a lot harder at home now , everything was in one place in the hospital now not everything is at hand and I've had to make a few adjustments with furniture , the armchair was too high , I built a platform for it , but I had to take the cushion off it today and will get my father to take it off the platform tomorrow .
I know these are only small things and all will be in order tomorrow but I know I've been cranky and critisised some of my partners help and hate the way I've been , I should be delighted to be home and have someone there that's looking after me , I'll apologise to her in the morning , she's been amazing through all of this for the past few months .

Has anyone else found they've behaved like this ?
Is there a reason for my behaviour ?
I know everything has been going great for me and because this isn't physical should I be worried or will the fact that I'm aware of it start it going away ?
Thanks for any feedback .
 
I think it is just post surgery craziness ;) kidding, but I think it is probably related to post surgical depression. It is a very real phenomena. There is an article about it in the recovery section. I felt cranky too and unhappy with everything.
 
All sorts of ups and downs in the recovery stage. We all have experienced them in one way or another. Also not being able to be as active as we are used to is a factor in my opinion. Although weather here has been nice and I've been able to get outdoors, I still felt captive until I was able to drive.

Hang in there....you will do great! See, the icing and elevating pays huge dividends!!!

Best to you! I'll have a Guiness or a Harp in your honor....... :)
 
Wow!! I'm so happy for you! I just read your story so far and I makes me so hopeful. Praying for rest and healing for you. I can't wait to see the rest of your recovery!! Good luck
 
calikat amab bionicmedic
Thanks .

9:00 am GMT
Good morning everyone .
Thanks for the advice on the previous post .
I apologised to Mags , my partner , this morning , she said not to worry about , it still wasn't fair on her .
Anyway I feel a lot better and in a better mood today , I've decided I would be and thought about what I've gone through and am grateful it's over and that the pain from OA is gone , '' what a relief '' .
I've just taken my meds , wrote them in my own med chart ( note app in phone ) so I can keep track .
I'm going to do some ice and elevation when done here , I'm finding this is a huge help and relief to the muscle soreness and swelling .
I'm going to go out for a walk today , weather permitting , and I'm looking forward to that
 
Pat,
I can say that what you have been through has stretched your capacity. There were times when I felt that I was struggling simply to survive. You have been through much!!!
Your nerves may be on edge. Maybe you are irritable. Aren't you just so tired of the relentless pain and exhaustion?
You will have good days and bad and gradually the good will outweigh the bad. Things will become easier to do. You will be more self-reliant and stronger In every way. You will be well.
Your partner is your rock. I know mine is. And she knows that you are going through a hell patch. I am sure she will welcome you with open arms so to speak.
Just remember that she is going through this too. Not as bad as you of course. But she suffers too.
I asked my partner about this and he said that his chief concern during all this has been worry. He worries about me. And he knows that often a good day will be followed by a bad one. But our bond keeps us true. Pls keep in touch!!!
Maggie May


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
maggie may I agree wholeheartedly. This whole ordeal has taken a toll on my husband and son. But hopefully this will soon be a distant memory.
 
12:00 pm Wednesday .
1 week post op :)

I think if I had pain and discomfort I'd be quiet and just sleep and lie down , I'd accept it as that's the way I had imagined it would be , it's great it's not , but as said above , I think because I've no pain , I want to be doing more . I know my limitations at the moment and that I need to rest and take it easy and I'm doing just that , it's just that the rest of my body hasn't copped on to that yet :heehee: .
I know I'll be fine , I'm in adjustment mode and getting there .
I feel great and have only stiffness at times , which eases with elevation and ice , so I'm grateful and no more crankiness , I promise .
maggie may calikat :thankyou:

I'm just back from a walk and did my exercises , all with no problems , I'm feeling good , the weather is good and it's great to get out of the house .
 
Hi Pat, you are doing great! The grouchiness is all part of this recovery. You are finally seeing the light at the end of a long tunnel. But it's still a chore just getting around and doing normal stuff. Things will progress very quickly. What seems impossible today will be a breeze another day.
 
Be thankful you have no pain! <3 I am jealous! I think your body will tell you what you can and cannot do. Everyone's recovery seems to follow it's own path.
 
calikat thaks , I am grateful I've no pain and the swelling and stiffness comes and goes and is getting better .
I totaly agree , our bodies will let us know very quickly what we can and cannot do .
I'm following the mantra , elevation and ice a number of times a day , I'm getting out of the chair regularly , going to bed when I'm feeling tired and need to sleep , taking meds regularly and on time , eating well , hydrating and keeping up to date on this site , all neccessary for my recovery .

I was out for a 35 minute walk today , I've been building up a couple of minutes every day and have not had any pain stiffness , swelling or exhaustion after so far . I'm going to do 40 minutes tomorrow and if feeling good afterwards I'll stick to one long walk of 40 minutes a day for the rest of my week and increase the exercise repetitions accordingly . I had been cycling and training right up to the operation which is helping in a speedy recovery .
 
OK PDH63 I have to confess right off the bat that I'm crazy jealous that you have no pain! I think honestly part of my struggle has been b/c all I read before surgery were stories like that, and it set me up for thinking it would be easy-peasy. It's been anything BUT in my case, and I was not prepared for that...:sigh:

Having said that, I imagine having no pain would bring it's own set of challenges and problems! So I apologize for my petty jealousy :heehee: -- and give you due respect because I think it would be a bit crazy-making wanting to do so much more than you know you are "supposed" to. Did that rambling sentence make any sense? Or are my meds getting to me? :doh:

Anyway, on a final note - I think your attitude is wonderful and inspiring! :angel:

Have a wonderful evening! And best wishes for continued fabulous recovery!
 
LeoRuby
I am lucky . Like you I'd done a lot of research and luckly I found this site when looking for info on resurfacing and THR and what I've learned on this site and the fact I can ''keep a journal/record of my journey'' on here has been invaluable . I was very picky in what I read about and whose recovery stories I read because I only wanted to hear good things . I have , from early childhood , had an irational fear of anything medical , feeling whoosy and nearly fainting at stories of injuries or medical procedures . I have suffered for years with hip problems and gone through a lot of pain at times and my fear held me back at honestly doing something about it , I'd gone to specialists before but never gave them a true account of how it was impacting on my quality of life , I'm sure I would have been told to get THR done long before this if I had been honest . I think I have an extremely high pain threshold to compensate with my high fear and anxiety but believe me I would have swapped the pain and suffering that some people go through after surgery , which dosen't last that long , for my high pain threshold if I could have had none of the fears and anxieties I had since childhood it occupied a lot of headspace at times .

Sometimes it is better not to compare and just be grateful for where we are and how far we've come .
My biggest milestone is over , the operation , and in the blink of an eye I'm over a week down the road , another blink and it will be two . Time does fly and in no time you'll be looking back and thinking ''all my pain is gone and I don't even remember when it went '' .

Friday 6:00 GMT
I woke up took my meds and went on the internet , had breakfast at 7 and now just lying in bed with laptop and ready to watch ''The Wonders of the Universe'' ( BBC , Brian Cox ) , I got loads of BluRays before the op to keep me entertained and set up the tv and sound in the bedroom as well , I'm happy as a pig in poop :) .
I can get tired a lot during the day and don't mind falling asleep in the middle of watching something I'll always rewind and play again , sleep is important .

The weather is terrible here , lots of rain and wind , but if it dies down I hope to get out in the fresh air for a walk but if it doesn't that's ok too , like normal training regimes it's good to take rest days and I'll catch up with it again . And sure with a few blinks of an eye I'll be back riding my bike , can't wait .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom