THR WOOHOO I'm On The other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
SanDiegoHippy
Hi , good to hear from you and thanks , it's good to be here at last .

I'm feeling good , meds are working , my sleep pattern is all over the place but that's my fault , watching DVDs , on the internet and reading during the night and I'm ok with that , I feel like I'm on holidays at the moment :) .

I've a feeling that my holidays will be over later today , my physio will be getting more intensive and I'll be weened off the ''heavier'' pain killers but I know what I'm in for and ok with it .
I've raced motor bikes and mountain bikes and had plenty of experience of rehab after accidents , goes with the territory :bicycle2: , funny but I freak out if I know I'm having a medical procedure done but have no problem doing activities which could put me in that situation ( if it happens it happens ) .
 
Well done, Pat, you sound so strong and positive! Pls keep posting and let us know. When are you going home?
My TKR was sept 5 and I will tell you about it later if you like. Or look at my link
Maggie May TKR 9/5/13
Best to you, maggie


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
12:00
Did my first session on crutches , felt good, still a bit light headed , but I think that's just tiredness and ''energy drain'' , I'm sitting out of bed at the moment and leg feels ''tight'' and slightly swollen , it's probably not and just my thinking it is , I'm not touching it someone else can :rotfl: . I'll get back into bed in a while .

Thanks to this site , it's great and keeps me occupied at times and great to catch up with others who've come over to ''the other side'' recently .
 
maggie may
I'm scheduled to go home on Monday :)
Ye I've been good , worked myself up before the op so it's been two extremes , feels so good .
I'm hoping my recovery will stay going well and I know everyone is different and experience things at different times of recovery so I'm taking it easy doing what's suggested and listening to my body , I like being lazy as well :sleep: but can't wait until next year and :bicycle1: again ( with my hands on the bars all the time :heehee: )
 
Welcome to the OTHER SIDE Pat,PDH63.Its like we live in some twisted version of survivor where we are all out floating in an ocean of pain and some of us make it to the OTHER SIDE and we hang on the edge with our hands out to the sufferers over THERE reaching,grasping,thread posting.Welcome to the club,you are in the beggining of an arduous transformation.Some days will be bad,regret,self doubt,pain.Some days will be good,milestones met,strength gains,less pain.Then bad days again.Some dark nights and chilling mornings.Keep your hand out here at bonesmart reaching,grasping...and it will make that journey easier.You'll be fine.I want to go to Ireland before I wear out my new hips.Im a Flaherty,do you know any?Peace.
 
Roofmaster
Thanks , it's good to know the realities of recovery as well , good and bad , I'm in this alternate world now , left all the bad bits behind and now starting with the new bits and slowly getting used to them :) . A good Irish name , Flaherty , I knew some Flahertys in a town called Fermoy in Co. Cork but that was many years ago and don't live near there anymore .

14:00
More physio on crutches again for a longer walk , getting more confident , not enough to do anything on my own even though physiotherapist said I could go to toilet on my own but for the sake of another day or two I'll get help , a little time lost from caution than a lot of time lost due to a fall .

Back in bed again resting the leg and enjoying my laziness and been waited on hand and foot :rotfl: .
 
Back in bed again resting the leg and enjoying my laziness and been waited on hand and foot

I really like your attitude, been watching your progress and all i can say is good on you, keep on keeping on..:)
 
9:00 GMT
My OS told me I could go home tomorrow if I felt up to it , I'm going to take my own advice and err on the side of caution and stay until the initial hospital stay of five days is passed and go home Monday .

I've just done my physio , stairs and standing exercises , there tough after surgery but helped with the stiffness , I'd been sitting in the chair for and hour , I'm in bed now and feeling good , I like been lazy :) .
 
I have to smile PDH, I was/am exactly the same..... Slow and steady I tell myself even 23 months post :)... Good for you!
 
Like the "being lazy" part Pat. That's just what you need. Slow and steady! This isn't a sprint - it's more a marathon. You only get to the end by pacing yourself. Enjoy your "room service" for now!
 
14:00 GMT
Day 4 Post Op
I'd a good night's sleep , turned off the computer at 9:30pm , slid down in the bed and went to sleep , woke for the normal toilet trips and was wide awake at 6:00am , felt some pain in the Op area , I put that down to sleeping flatter last night and for longer in the one position and it wasn't bad .

I got out of bed at 7:00am and did my physio , walk on crutches and exercises and sat in arm chair after that and felt a lot better , the stiffness was gone from the activity . I'm still amazed that I've had no real pain to worry about . My only concern at the moment is lack of bowel movement since the day of the operation , I've been eating prunes and drinking prune juice consistently over the past few months on the advice given here , surprisingly , like all aspects of the procedure my expectations were severely dashed , '' I love Prunes and Prune juice '' :heehee: and they were doing the trick until now . Because I've had no movement I've been given laxatives and the only result so far is wind/gas so they will give me an anemone . I did have a fear that going to the toilet would be hard due to the incision and soft tissue damage but I know that won't be a problem from trying to go already so anyone getting the op has nothing to worry about .

I seem to be tired most of the time nodding off many times during the day and that's ok too , I'd learned here before the op that would be part of the recovery process .

One part of the hospital experience I found uncomfortable is visiting time , I'd let my partner know that I may be very tired and sore after the Op and that I may not be the best of company , I felt for myself that this was important to let her know so that she knew it was normal and that it was ok to leave if I was sleeping or nodding off and it helped me . Anyone else that visited during times like this I just explained I needed to rest and wasn't up to a visit , I found it important to look after myself and not to be worried about other people .

My physiotherapist has told me I can increase my walks and reps done on the exercises , so easy does it is working nicely .

I am looking forward to going home tomorrow and don't have the worries anymore that I had about travelling in a car , we can't wait to sit down tomorrow and catch up on the ''Walking Dead'' ( I'm calling it the limping dead for the next six weeks lol ) and ''Homeland'' then over the next few weeks all of ''The Sopranos'' I've never seen it before .
 
Good morning PDH63! Sounds like things are going swimmingly well for you - hurray! :yay:

Happy to hear you are going home tomorrow. I understand your concern over when the bowel movement will come. Rest assured, it will happen. I've had several surgeries and the timing has varied wildly for all of them; this time I finally had one yesterday (day 4 after surgery). I was SO happy and relieved! So rest assured, your "BM day" is coming, lol. :heehee:

Best wishes for a continued fabulous recovery!
 
Hi Pat, don't fight the being tired. You have just had major surgery. At rest is when your body recovers. Just go with it!

And well done for knowing your limits on visits. They can be very exhausting. You are the most important person in this process. Do what you need to do to allow your body to heal.
 
''My BM Day'' :rotfl: Love it , we get to learn so much about our bodies here :)
 
Hey, Pat,
Yay!
I recommend you takre stool softeners every day. I also take herbal laxatives which help a lot!

Best
MM


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
I've just had a baby boy 8lb 6oz , well that's what it felt like :rotfl: , that was harder than the operation :yikes: .

The nurse gave me a stool softener , thanks MaggieMay , and ten minutes later BM day passed .
I didn't realise but they don't allow you to go home until the BM so ready for departure tomorrow WOOHOO .
 
OMG PDH63...I love The Walking Dead! I am not usually a fan of dead people eating the living type of shows, but 'The Walking Dead' is really such a good program. Great acting, great writing...just a great show. I have to shield my eyes sometimes though through all of the gore.
 
CONGRATS on the joyful arrival of baby BM - woo hoo! :yahoo:

(Raising Hand) also a big Walking Dead fan here - something to look forward to tonight for sure!
 
Yay!!!! So glad for you and know what a relief!!
Keep in touch!
Maggie May


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom