Guest viewing is limited

Wilma's Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously considered Cryo-cuff and the like (still very rare here in Australia) and in the end went with two large gel packs. I probably would have iced more often and for longer periods if I used a cuff. Having said that, the hospital regime in Aus is different, generally we stay in hospital for 5 days and many of us go to inpatient rehab for a week afterwards where we have nurses 24X7 who kindly (and not so kindly) fetch us ice anytime we ask. If I had been home there is no way in heck I would have asked my hubby to get me ice that often. He would have - I just wouldn't ask it.

Knowing what I know now and if faced with going home less than a week after the surgery, I'd go with the cuff/cooler/pump technology.
 
The good news is that you're getting your BP dealt with. As for cryotherapy, I liked having what I think was called a polar ice machine in the first weeks after the surgery when I had my helper here. She'd get that baby set up for me and I was good to go for hours. As I became more mobile, gel packs worked fine with less hassle. But you need more than one so you can switch them out--one is always in the freezer re-cooling.
 
Thanks for the input everyone. I have just purchased an Aircast cryocuff with cooler. It should arrive about a week before my surgery date so I will have time to try it out. I would much preferred to spend the money on new shoes - but needs must!
I am now thinking about stuff I might need in hospital and what I will need at arms length when I get home. Crutches, walking frame, cane, toilet seat riser, raising height of comfy chair - this list is long!
Anything I have forgot? :wave:
 
A cart on wheels, something along the lines of a tea trolley or bar cart, could make life easier once you are using a cane, for emptying and refilling your ice machine, or in general trying to get stuff from point a to point b independently. A commuter cup with a spill proof lid can make fetching one's own hot or cold beverages less fraught. A basket or bag to hang on the walking frame. If you have a daytime nest set up separate from your sleeping area you will find that your glasses, phone, tissues, book, whatever, have an annoying habit of getting left behind, so its essential to be able to carry stuff with you when you move. Even when there's someone to wait on you hand and foot its good to be able to do some for yourself.

Room in the freezer for at least a days worth of ice. The machines gobble it up. Maybe you have an ice maker that can keep up with the demand, if not, you'll have to buy big bags. Some people swear by freezing small juice bottles full of water and recycling these, either way, you'll want that room in the freezer for spare bottles to replace the ones in your cuff as they melt. Icing should be pretty continuous for weeks and weeks.
 
@jeano - :thankyou: for the suggestions jeano. Filling juice bottles is a good idea, it should make it much easy to refill the ice container. I am able to borrow a walking frame that has a tray attached but a bag would be useful as I can imagine stuff falling from the tray. A commuter cup is now on the list!
Although I will have someone around in the early days I am hoping to be a little more independent so my husband can go to work. I think organisation is the key!
 
A throne---a toilet riser---is a must in the early days. As for crutches or a walker, I would see what your OS's protocol is on returning home---as well as seeing what the insurance will provide. Do not be in a hurry to purchase items that will be provided for you.
 
Although I will have someone around in the early days I am hoping to be a little more independent so my husband can go to work.

If you plan ahead, you can prepare meals and freeze them---prepare our "nest" or your "fortress" and you can get along fine.

I would have some friends stop by for a few minutes to check on you---don't let them expect that you will be gardening in sparkling conversation! They can check in on you and see if you need anything taken care of.

Our forum mother-hen, @Josephine, came home and took care of herself quite well after her TKR.

Your husband should be able to get back to work and you will be fine---remember, in the early days, you will be icing, elevating and sleeping.
 
@referee54 - thanks for your reply. I have to provide any equipment I need.
We have private health insurance which limits us to medical procedures only. There is an allowance for blood tests, x-rays and PT.

If I was to have this done through the National Health Service I would have everything provided and an occupational health nurse to assess my home. Private health care enables us to choose a surgeon and when the operation is to be carried out. In the hospital I will be in the 'private wing' of a NHS hospital.
The difference is that I will get my own room with on-suite facilities :bath: and a different coloured bed sheet :loll:

I have family very close by that will check up on me and be able to call round quickly if I phone them. I feel pretty ready for this now - roll on 25th November!
 
@Wilma even in the NHS it's not standardised. I didn't have a home visit but get free crutches/canes. The OT didn't assess home but the physio asked a few basic questions like, " do you have stairs?. I'm going into a private hospital under the NHS. We thought about paying but the surgeons reply was, "keep the money. I do a good job". I'll only have waited ten weeks . Hope whatever, it works out for both of us. I plan to get some private physio after a couple of weeks too. The hospital one struck fear into my her when she talked about a "4-6 window of opportunity for recovery"! I think that's tosh as when I had microfracture it took me a good 18 months with lots of gentle physio to feel completely better!

I'm thinking of a cryo cuff - must get onto that. The physio said not to get a higher toilet seat. But I am buying a support to hang onto when getting off the loo. I've got some gel packs too for supplementary icing and am most bothered about the boredom which will inevitably follow when I feel a bit better. The grabber is a great idea too. But I figure if there's anything else I need after surgery there always the Internet. Oh and I plan on buying a TEnS machine as well. I am really constrained as to pain killers so am going to rely heavily on ICE!

Three weeks and two days to go :bolt::bolt::bolt:
 
@SuperSnapper - I guess it depends which area you live in as to what service you get! I bought my cryo system from The Physio Room - if you look on 'Voucher Codes' there is a 4% off voucher code too. Not a great discount but 'every little helps'.
I think it may depend on how tall you are as to whether you might benefit from a raised toilet seat. I am 5'9" so it can be a long way down! haha.
I'm planning on watching some Christmassy films during my recovery - I noticed the 24 hour Christmas channels are on already! I love to read too, so my kindle is being stocked up with easy to read books. I also love internet shopping so I will be online buying last minute presents - I'm hoping to do most of it in the next couple of weeks though.
@referee54 - I'm sure you could have had some fun with your 'grabber thingie' - get it dusted off! :heehee:
 
@Wilma, that's what I am doing too! I've been stocking up on novels and trying my best not to read them until after my surgery! They are tempting me, as I am virtually housebound.

I'm debating on what to take with me to the hospital. Hubby can bring anything in I need, as I need it, as the hospital is just down the road. But, it would be less stressful for him if I take what I need with me.

Actually, thinking about it, I think I'm going to put some extra things in a bag to keep in the car so he can just grab me something if I need more. Then he won't have to go searching for anything... I'm sure it's in the third drawer down, hon... no wait, I think I left it in the dryer... mmm-mm maybe it's dark gray instead of black....

You know what I mean, I'm sure! :heehee:

eta: Ok, fixed spelling! :holysheep:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@eldon - I live about an hours drive from my hospital but I'm hoping to take everything I need with me as my husband needs a map, plus written instructions to find anything - he is more than willing though! :loveshwr:

I seem to be more stressed about what type of footwear to take for after the TKR than the actual operation itself!?!? Maybe I need to get out more, haha.
 
@Wilma I have ordered an Aircast with cryo cuff, tallish stool for the shower, a thingy to help me get off the loo. My slippers arrived and a new nightie( usually wear pjs but the physio said nighties were better.) I have some gel ice pads too and my pirate outfit for when my grandkids come. I am good to go! The nerves are starting .......
 
@SuperSnapper - Did you find the voucher code for the Aircast? I haven't thought about a stool for the shower, I'm wondering if it might be easier to stand????? What sort of a 'thingy' for getting off the loo?
I need to think about slippers, my usual ones are just slip ons without backs or toes so aren't going to be suitable. Nighties or pajamas? I usually wear pi's but I guess I need to look for nighties too - it's a shame though as I won't wear them after. What do the men do? haha.
I am not really nervous right now - it will probably hit me very soon though. I'm back to my GP in the morning to check my BP, he's also decided to check for just about everything else you can imagine! :fingersx:
I Love the pirate outfit idea, it should certainly entertain your grandchildren :capn:
 
@Wilma have to admit I forgot about the voucher code but thanks for posting it. The thingy is a toilet support ordered from Amazon. I got some Padders slippers from Amazon they were recommended by NanaMoon27 on here and will be ok I think. All will be redundant after but my right knee is in a bad way so they may all get another outing in a couple of years. My left knee had been awful today with a nagging pain that is new to me. Roll on 25th. Can't come too soon now the decision has been made.
I really hope your GP gives you good news about your BP. I've had high BP for 43 years since my first pregnancy and have been on meds since then too and once they diagnose it, I am afraid the extra tests are pretty standard. I have white coat hypertension so have a home measuring machine so I know when I go to the doctors if my BP is up, it's cos of the fear! But I hope all your results are fine. Fingers crossed for you tomorrow. I bet you'll be fine.
 
Wilma, have you looked in this article? Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home.

Social Services should supply you with things like a toilet frame, a bath board and even a perch stool for the kitchen! I provided my own Helping Hand, leg lifter and crutches (because I find the NHS elbow crutches too tight around my forearm). I also supplied my own Cryocuff but a lot of people make do with gel packs.

You might like to read the potted version of my recovery to see how I managed! Knee recovery - UK style
A further tip - I laid in stores of tinned and packet food and never touched any of them! A year later I had to bin a lot of them because they were out of date! Moral of the story being, don't over stock food. You won't jave much of an appetite anyway.
 
that's what I am doing too! I've been stocking up on novels and trying my best not to read them until after my surgery! They are tempting me, as I am virtually housebound.
I took two excellent novels with me to the hospital---and the pain mes made it difficult to concentrate and read. After a few weeks, I still had a tough time reading---I had to grade essays brought over to me by my substitute teacher---and I could only grade a few at a time---the pain meds created a giant cotton ball around my head.

It was not until I was off of narcotic pain meds that I could actually enjoy reading again.

Remember, in the early days after your TKR, you will be very tired and sleep a great deal. Reading may be a challenge then.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom