Guest viewing is limited

Wilma's Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
@referee54, That will probably happen to me too.... At least the books will last longer that way! :wink:
I had all these great intentions of reading to pass the time. I slept a great deal---when I tried to read---I found that focusing took, due to the pain meds, a great amount of effort---and sleeping was so much easier!
 
I am finding getting ready by downloading books, buying some new (decent) nightwear, toiletries ext. quite calming. I expect that I won't be able to read much, but you never know. I might just get one of those miraculous recoveries I booked when I went for my pre-op :loll:

@eldon - my BP went from bad to worse! I am now taking 2 types of tablets in the hope of lowering it before the 25th November. I see the practice nurse each week to check it.
My GP decided to test for just about everything else while I was there - waiting for results of those tests. I'm sort of feeling like I don't want to know! I will be so disappointed if my surgery is further delayed :beg:.
 
I have just 'googled' white coat hypertension. I thought it must be a complicated blood problem!!!! :rotfl:

I am laughing at my own stupidity by the way!
 
I have just 'googled' white coat hypertension. I thought it must be a complicated blood problem!!!! :rotfl:

I am laughing at my own stupidity by the way!
I actually have that---when I go the my GP---when he first takes my BP, it is up a little bit. After we talk and I relax, it drops.

It is not complicated---and I guess it is fairly common!:snork::snork:
 
@Wilma Really hope your surgery doesn't get postponed. It does take a week or so for the tablets to settle or find the ones that suit you. I hope they find the right mix for you and soon. I so want to be operation buddies. This is a stressful time for you anyway. Sending you a hug from across the Pennines.:wave:
 
Well, my cryo system arrived this morning - what a disappointment! It doesn't look much for the money. I just hope it will make up for it's looks in its pain relief function!
I have been reading updates form the post-operative forums and I am beginning to wonder why I am about to put myself through this????????
It seems that some of the most positive thinking people are having a very rough deal.
 
@SuperSnapper - Thanks for the good wishes.
I seem to be okay with the medication so far, a few flushes and headaches but otherwise alright. I am sort of hoping that the date won't be postponed again. x
 
@Wilma my thought exactly on the cryo cuff thing. My husband thinks it will double as a wine cooler for picnics after! I know also what you are thinking and feeling about the surgery but I know my knee is getting worse and worse each month. It's time to do this. Hang in there. We can do it.:bicycle1:
 
@SuperSnapper - if I'm going to use it as a wine cooler - I had better order another one! haha.
I know I need this done as it's preventing me from living as I want to. I've put up with it for almost 10 years now. Last night it kept me awake until past 4am - I was watching for post from gr82cu2 though.
Tonight I am sat alone as it's hubby night out - so I start over thinking!!!!! Maybe a medicinal glass of red wine is in order???????
Deb x
 
@Wilma @SuperSnapper, by my count, 17 full days to go, (I have zero full days to go on the 24th) at least by my numbering :loll:, but we can call it 18 if we must :heehee: .

I too have been keeping up on @gr82cu2. Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers :praying: her way. There is nothing worse than having a doctor brush off your concerns and questions, let alone berate you about the pain you are having. :sad: :cry:

I'll be doing what she has done, first one knee and then the other, within weeks of each knee. I am so hoping to keep a brave face and chin up on my first one the best I can, so the os won't want to delay the surgery for the second one. I think that is stressing me out more than the waiting for the first one. I so want to get both of these done and over with. I don't want to miss out on another summer like last year.

In actuality, it is really helping me to read her posts, and the others. I can't imagine only reading the posts where there have been miracle 3 week recoveries and then myself waking up from surgery to go through what she is going through. Seeing the easy and the hard is keeping me rooted in reality and giving me the backbone to say, "Yes, I can do this." I want to get rid of this damaging pain and move onto the healing pain and beyond to a normal life again.

Thankfully I too have a wonderful husband who will be at my side and truly advocates for me. He has been by my side through thick and thin with these knees.

@Wilma, fingers crossed :fingersx: and good thoughts :thumb: on getting your bp under control, so they won't need to delay your surgery.
 
@eldon I didn't realise that you were having both knees done a little bit apart but think of how much fun you will be having next year with two good knees! My right knee is bad too with cysts in the bone caused by the osteoarthritis but not nearly as bad as the left so i am hoping it will last a couple of years more :groan:

Know what you mean about reading about the good and the bad of recovery. It does temper expectations.
 
@Wilma @SuperSnapper @eldon
I am 16 days post op. This forum is great because it does temper expectations. We all want the 3week superstar recovery but that is not the normal. I am learning that my knee will do what it wants to do when it wants to do it. Patience is the best advice. Good luck in your surgeries and wishing each if you a great recovery.
 
@Minnie's knees - thank you for the good luck message Minnie :tada:

It sounds like 'luck' is the key to getting the pain meds right after this surgery so we will need lots of it!
Actually it's the main thing about this whole process that worried me. I have confidence in my surgeon and anesthetist but I am not confident that the pain will be controlled after. Most meds seem to make me quite sick so I'm hoping for lots of 'luck'.
Hope your recovery continues well :flwrysmile:
 
@eldon - It must be hard to come to terms with having both knees done one after the other. Was it an option to have them both at the same time like a few others on here? Still - it will be sooooooo good to get rid of this disabling pain and enjoy life again! It will be so worthwhile. :yes!:

I am still working on this BP. My doctor has upped the medication and it has gone down a little.
On the downside though, I am now on statins for high cholesterol and also I have to have a series of vit.B12 injections for vit B12 anaemia.
All this showed up through having my pre-operative assessment. Before this I wasn't on any medication apart from painkillers for my knee.

I am praying that my surgery will still go ahead on 25th!

@SuperSnapper - hope you are going strong and looking forward to the 25th - two weeks tonight we will all be getting ready to fast! :wowspring:
 
@Wilma, I'll keep :fingersx: and good thoughts that you get to keep your surgery date! Saying some :praying: too. It seems like this has been, well, just forever getting my surgery date, and even with being anxious/nervous as we all are, the last thing we want is a cancellation. Look at them finding all this as a good thing. Better before surgery than running into trouble right after! You still have two weeks to get your meds settled in, so don't despair! We are rooting for you!

I didn't have the option of doing both at once. My os will do them close together, within 6 weeks, but not at the same time. I really like my surgeon and the hospital he uses is less than 10 minutes from our house. I can't say enough about the hospital either. They truly treat you like a family member instead of just another billing number. So, it is a win win there. Being so close to where we live, hubby can move back and forth to take care of the kitties :kittykiss::kittykiss: and get some shut eye himself without feeling torn between two places.
 
@Wilma, @eldon glad to hear your BP is improving . As eldon said you still have two whole weeks before the big day. Your pre-op did you a favour - much better to find out about it and treat it. But I know it's worrying for you.
Eldon, your hospital sounds lovely, and you can be confident about how you'll be treated too.
My op is the afternoon of the 25th and I was told I could eat up to 6.30 in the morning. At the pre-op they said to get up early and have breakfast and go back to bed as it will be a long day and I probably won't feel like eating afterwards! I think I'll have yogurt and prunes! Will come in handy for the constipation to come!
On a bumb note I banged my bad knee today and it's swollen up a bit. Hope it goes down quickly.
Just off to bed. Night, night ,kneesie pals xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom