Guest viewing is limited

Wilma's Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SuperSnapper - hope your banged knee is feeling okay this morning??

My op is scheduled for afternoon too but I need to fast from 6am. I am worried about being sick with the aesthetic so will probably have a light meal late Monday evening. The idea of prunes at 6am doesn't do it for me! :flabber:

Day 1 on increased dose of 2 x BP meds together with cholesterol med has given me a terrible headache, not something I usually suffer with so I'm putting it down to the tablets. If they get my rebellious body in order it's worth it though!

I've nothing planned for today so I can take it easy until 3.30 when 1 of my grandsons has invited himself for dinner after school. :loveshwr: Now - what's Alfie's favourite meal????!!!!???? :what:

Have a good day - Deb x
 
@Wilma @SuperSnapper Good news in that the joint class isn't mandatory! I guess they get a lot of nervous people asking that, cause she chuckled :heehee: and just said that they are there if I have any questions :what:.

You both know when your surgery times are :thumb: . I won't know mine until one to two day before my surgery. The hospital give you a call then and lets you know.
 
@Wilma, @eldon Great news the you didn't miss much the joint class. The one I went to with the Physio was pretty hopeless and she seemed fixated on a 4 - 6 weeks window to get ROM so I didn't listen much after that!

Wilma, I think sometimes as I said before that your body has to get used to the BP meds. I take 3!

One does not do much for my BP as it was fine before the doctor prescribed No 3 but it helps to protect my kidneys apparently. The BP is still the same as it was before but I hope it's doing something as when I rang my travel insurance in the summer, they upped my premium by £50! Hope your headache improves - your are probably a bit stressed anyway, I know I am! The waiting is getting to me and I am sick of the KNEE!
:tantrum2:
I went Christmas shopping in Leeds today with my daughter but only managed about 3 hours shopping and it was giving out. Still I did get some things so have started. Mr P will just have to finish it all off and maybe wrap it too!
 
`Forgot to say the the bang on the knee has resolved itself into a small bruise but it's ok
Ta for asking
x
 
@Wilma hi Wilma just popped in to ask how are you getting on with the BP ? Hope you are doing OK. It's all rushing up on us now, feel as if it's a bit of a rollercoaster. Have you got all your stuff ready? Been trying to prepare my family and lesson their expectations of how I will be. My son actually asked us to babysit on the 29th! So I'm not sure what they are expecting but am pretty sure if I am home that I won't want to be on my own while Mr P babysits and neither do I want my two granddaughters to come here and see me in pain. So we've had to say no which I never do. But it did get me thinking what others might expect me to be like in recovery! So now busy telling them all the stuff I have read on here.
 
Hi @SuperSnapper - I have been for my 'education session' at Wrightington today. I didn't learn anything that I didn't already know from this site - in fact they just carried out a powerpoint presentation of a booklet they gave us. It would have been simpler to just read it at home! We are about an hour away from the hospital so a bit of a waste of time! I did find out that they are more than willing to fill my cryo/wine cooler as needed. I could have phoned to ask that though.
My BP has gone down :yahoo:- it's now 155/90. Still a bit high but a vast improvement to 200+/98.
I'm waiting for the energy rush from the B12 injections now. I have 3 more next week. I was hoping for a quiet relaxing week getting ready for surgery but now my diary if full of various appointments! :groan:

@eldon - if your pre - surgery 'lesson' was going to be anything like mine, you haven't missed out on anything!

Only 2 more weekends to go - next week will fly by. It's looking very possible that I will still be in 'Team 25th'
:happydance: (just wish I felt like that figure)

Have a lovely weekend
Deb x
 
@Wilma Great news on the BP! Glad the numbers are going in the right direction for you. Go "Team 25th!" My pre-op included a talk from the physio with a sort of pre-surgery lesson but as you say much more and better info on here. I haven't asked if I can take my cryo cuff thingy but I might now you've said it.
We've got a busy week next week too!

Have a good weekend.

Mary x

Just got back from Christmas shopping trip to the new John Lewis at York so a bit tired.
 
@Wilma @SuperSnapper Love the name: "Team 25th!" Husband can be a cheerleader! :rotfl:

Wilma, so glad to hear the BP meds are doing their stuff! Babysit a few days after surgery -- that is definitely a 'are you kidding' :flabber: moment! As I have said before, Muggles, sometimes they just don't understand!

My paperwork in my surgery packet says that the hospital "may" have you on a cpm machine and if they do, to expect to be in it continuously while you are bed, and it will start at PACU and continue throughout your hospital stay until you reach full range of motion. :flabber: :thud:

I'm going to check on this with the os when I go in for my last visit with him a few days before the surgery. It's not being on the cpm, it's the 'full range of motion that's getting me!:holysheep: Isn't this against the Geneva Convention! 'Darn it, it's suppose to bend and we are going to bend it the whole way whether it likes it or not!' :oyvey:

Hopefully I'm taking too much liberty when reading this in the hospital's joint book. It's probably means the full range of motion that is relevant to me. -- But, don't worry, even if I'm out of it, husband says he isn't going to let them hurt me! Ah, my cheerleader! :thankyou:
 
@Wilma , @eldon The full range of motion stuff sounds a bit threatening! But as you say it might mean the range relevant to you. My husband has been primed too and I have given him the whole Bonesmart treatment plan of action. I really think the poor chap is bored to death by my knee already but he's a real star! I think it's hard for husbands/ partners too as not nice for them to see us in pain at all and the arthritis has really stopped us doing quite a lot of stuff we used to do. My knee gave out just for a second while out today and I had to cling onto him. We'd just been having that, "Do I really need this operation," ( I'm sure you've both been there!) conversation in the car and he laughed and said ,"It really does show you need it now!" He's right really but the old nerves are starting up and I am a natural born wimp! :bolt:
 
@SuperSnapper - Hi Mary, I am doing okay. Busy with doctor appointments this week unfortunately, I have a million and one things I wanted to do before next Tuesday. Today we have been to York. It's our eldest daughters 40th birthday today, so we all went out for a meal.
I must admit, the thought that this time next week it will have been done fills me with a mix of excitement and fear!
My BP has gone down enough for surgery but deep down I was sort of hoping it wouldn't. Although I would be devastated to have it put off again.

How are you?
 
It's our eldest daughters 40th birthday today

@Wilma It sounds like you had a nice dinner with your daughter! I'm trying to stay busy, but I'm pretty much down now to just watching tv. I'm pretty much all set to go except for one more day of a couple of appointments. The os and the lab again. I ordered my groceries today, so that's done. Husband will pick them up on his way home from work later this week. I was thinking of you when my GP took my blood pressure at my pre-op appointment. Thankfully all was good!

Sounds like you have some pre-surgery jitters. We certainly all get them. I had a round of them last night, but back to normal today. I was just thinking that it was pretty cool that surgery day is now in the 7 day weather forecast. I'll tell you, :heehee:, some of the stuff that goes through my mind! By this time next week, surgery will be done!
 
@Wilma I'm pleased your BP issue seems to be resolving itself. I know what you mean about perhaps having a way to get out of this decision we have made. It's a bit like being on a conveyer belt that you can't jump off!
Everything here is going on normally but there's this BIG thing looming up!
Glad you enjoyed your dinner out. We're meeting friends for lunch in Clitheroe on SAturday and trying just to carry on as normal although I'm giving choir a miss this week - too many colds about this time of year to risk it. Everytime I get even the hint of a sniffle I take Vicks First Defence - recommended by my niece who's a GP.

@eldon pre-surgery jitters are tricky. I've had chest pains and a terrible attack of IBS - all stress related - my GP has been very sympathetic so I hope she's as good with the pain meds afterwards too. Won't it be great to feel normal and ordinary and not have this surgery before us?

Only 6 more sleeps!

Have a good day.
Mary x
 
@SuperSnapper,@eldon - it's strange how we react to stress. So glad the chest pains weren't anything more sinister. I have IBS issues that have been causing me to quicken my pace too! :bolt: Good tip about the Vicks First Defence, I will add that to my last minute shopping list. I have one more B12 injection to get and then I'm good to go. Tonight we are out with my sister and husband and this weekend we are meeting up with friends for dinner, I am getting as much socialising in as I can organise before this surgery!
All that keeps popping into my head is 'this time next week'!!!!!!!! I've got most things sorted now, just cleaning and bed changing left. We have family stay over for a few days at Christmas so I need to get our spare rooms ready. I even considered getting the Christmas decorations out but Richard (hubby) said 'NO"! I think a little wave of panic passed over me because I love to be organised at Christmas.
I so wish I could just go now and get this over.

Eldon - Happy that your BP was good and nice that it made you think of me. :flwrysmile:
The weather forecast is only available until next Monday on my phone, sunny spells and a daytime temp of 6 deg C. How's the weather for you?

Deb x
 
@Wilma The weather here in the Northeast is brrrrrrrrrr. 24 F this morning. We are getting the first waves of the Artic cold snap. It looks like a couple of more waves are coming our way. So far, we haven't had any of the snow others are getting.

I put the flannel sheets on my bed. Very warm and nice for sleeping, but a dickens for rolling over with the knees. They can't slide on the flannel sheets, so I have to pick my legs up to move them which hurts pretty much just as bad as sliding them. My knees feel like they want to dislocate and then they click back into place. Owie! :oyvey:

@SuperSnapper Glad that the chest pains were caused by the jitters and not something worse. And you and @Wilma having IBS problems can't be fun. My jitters are coming in the form of feeling this wave of panic coming on (not panic attacks, thank goodness), but just the 'did I make the right decision'. But, in reality, I know that doing these knees is the right decision. I just need the ole, second thoughts part of my brain to stop sneaking in and second guessing me!

Husband is excited about me getting them done as well. We miss our old lifestyle activities of getting out on the lake in the summer, boating and fishing and snowshoeing in the woods in the winter. Plus, he is looking forward to having some time off during my recovery. He has been saving up his vacation time, because we knew this was coming. No way did I want to have to go to a rehab place for the beginning of recovery. However, he has this idea that he is going to be able to get caught up with his sleep... :heehee: :rotfl: :loll::rofsign: Oh, okay, I'll take it easy on him! :wink: :giggle:. He's a sweetie. :friends:
 
Hoping for a successful surgery tomorrow. Best wishes
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom