Will new knees be good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is very frustrating, but you are doing very well for having a TKR just a few weeks ago. Hang in there about the ROM---you are taking it cautiously and by resting over the weekend, you did yourself a favor---that is tough; we want to work at it and push it, but I feel by you forcing yourself to rest, you allowed the knee and the surrounding tissue to "calm down."

It is almost like a little kid at Christmas time---it seems that times moves oh, so slowly---but before you know it, you will be back on the bike and enjoying the ride.
 
Interesting PT session today. Apparently on Monday they evaluate the excercises and increase resistance as appropriate. They asked me if resistance on some excercises were too easy. I indicated that the reps assigned to me were easy and less than what I was using at home in some cases. They made some changes. Just enough so that although I could still do the reps assigned, I ended the exercise feeling some easy strain in the muscles involved. Felt very good.

First, I got on the bike and usually it was a little tough to roll over the top for the first turn or two. Many times I needed to go backwards for a couple cycles to losen up. Today though. I wnet easily over the top on the first turn without any initial tightness.. This is after taking it easy over the weekend and resisting the drive to try the road bike again. I exercised indoors and walked outdoors.

My meeting with the PT at the end of therapy today resulted in easy stretching that took me softly past comfort but no where close to the enforced pain of thhe PT from last week who I complained about.
She evaluated myflex informaly, no measurement today just clear positive reinforcement of qualitative progress. I avoided asking for a number. A number would have driven me to compete to press harder to do more.

Instead I came home, iced and elevated and decided that the results were good but that I will continue to wait for the road bike.

My plan now is to put off another attempt on the road bike until the weekend and just continue to work this week on strength, endurance and mild stretching of hamstrings and flex.

Feels like a plan. Avoids the dissapointment of noy being able to ride the road bike but holds out the promise of sucess.

A good day and a positive attitude day. I also napped a lot today!!!
 
Hey---you are dong great! Do not worry about the ROM numbers---just keep your eyes on the prize! The destination may be a ways off, but yo are taking things slowly and deliberately---which is great! Running this kind of "marathon" is won by one step at a time...Just keep on keepin' on!

Again, a very wise move about not worrying about silly numbers!
 
You are doing well! Superbly, in fact. Keep up the good work.
 
Today is an example of how a beautiful day might be bad for you.
Today is 21 days post surgery. Remember I live alone and at this point I am becoming a hermit with cabin fever. (Is that even possible)

So a pretty day 73 degrees, sunny, you got the picture. My community is on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland and has a path along the water that goes to the clubhouse where the excercise bike is.

So it's no surprize that I decided to take the path to the clubhouse instead of the short walk by street.

All went well with the walk except was feeling a little overall weak or just yuckie. Got to clubhouse, rested and then started pedaling. Technically this was good. I was wearing thicker shoes but hadf no problem getting "over the top" right from the start. Even scooted down a little to force a little more flex pressure. Stopped at 15 minutes feeling strong instead of going my usual 20 because I still had to walk home(the short way this time)

Walk home was tough, punk, yuckie feelin' was not good. Knee was fine, no pain, relied a little more on cane than first part of walk, but just punk.

Now sitting back icing and elevating and wondering if
1. I did a bit too much for my general body condition. I guess three weeks of this has de-conditioned me more than I thought.
2. I am still taking percosets by the clock but have tapered the dose down significantly from the high post-op values. More than enough to keep my knee pain free but could my punkiness be related to the reduction in narcotic? Just a thought.

That all for today, gettin to be nap time.
 
Yep - you're still in that post-op weakness phase. It can take some time to get over that. At three weeks I was only just taking a walk down the garden never mind a hike to the clubhouse! You didn't say how long that walk was, by the way.
 
You noticed Jo. The answer is:
a. I don't know
b. I knew you would chastise me if I told
c. All of the above
 
:snork: Pretty clever of you!!!
 
Back awake from my nap. Feelin better now. No adverse affects of my walk on the waterfront. Feelin' good.

Still bored though.
Want to ride that road bike!
Will continue to hold off till weekend. (Got to avoid failure and increase probability of success)

Rest, ice, elevate and watch the clock and calendar TICK, TOCK, TICK, TOCK
 
I hope you can take it easy with your riding, BigGene. You really are a bit early to be riding a road bike. I worry about you getting off balance slightly and taking a fall....not that you'd hurt your new knee, but you certainly could injure other parts and make your muscles very sorry you didn't wait a bit to go soaring on the bike.
 
I know, I know. While I love adventure activities and travel, I am actual very conservative and careful about circumstances.

I have already taken one trip over the handlebars, two years ago when riding on a bike trail and someone step in front of me when I could not avoid them. No harm done though(landed on my hard head) I was and always wear my helmet.

If I get on the bike this weekend it will be under controled circumstances and I promise not to go off on a 40 mile warn-up ride. More like 40 yards.

Just want a symbol of progress toward the future. A milestone. A belief that my new knees Will BE Good Enough. You got the picture.

I'm no bungee jumper,

Thanks for your concern.
 
:hate-shocked: Me? Chastise? Heaven forfend! :cry4:
 
Had a tougher than normal night last night. Some new little aches and pains. Assumed it was yesterday's "long walk" and indoor bike workout. Knee seemed tighter maybe a little more swollen than normal and it is a wet, soggy, miserable day here in the Mid-Atlantic.

That said I was not really looking forward to PT. Got there, went through the routine, we increased weight/resistance on several exercises Monday, and then the time came to face the Therapist for stretching and measurements.(We did not measure on Monday and last week was a 113 flex.)

I wasn't expecting a great number although functionally thing have seemed better/easier on some activities.

Surprize, surprize 118 degrees. It almost made the pain of therapy worhwhile.

Now it is time for the most important therapy of the day SLEEP and more sleep and, of course, ICE.

118 makes it a very good day for 22 days post TKR.:yahoo:
 
My first bike ride was around the block..
That went well, so the next day did 15 miles....Not recommended!!!
Sounds like you are progressing well, you wil be out there before you know it. Here in MA, the Black Flies are beginning to bite. Ahhh, the great outdoors.
Sandy
 
Thanks Trainwreck, around the block is a good place to start.
I've been in the great outdoors during black fly season. They are like nothing else like it! Stay covered up!!!!

Maybe I'll only do 10 on the next day.:wink1:
 
You are so right to not ask for the number of your ROR. I stopped asking also. I didn't need to anticipate the pain and found I pushed myself enough. You are doing great for such a short time!! If only the rain in the Northeast would stop!
 
Gene,

You are doing fantastic!

We were going to be surgery "buddies", and I keep up with your progress all of the time!

I am so proud of you!:yahoo:
 
BigGene, all I can say is " WOW"!!! Keep up the good ( hard ) work.
Remember, from this stubborn one....Rest & Relax!!! Let your knees & body do the "talking", they'll let you know when to do More!
Have a great day!:flowerysmile:
Darlene
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom