Will new knees be good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple years ago I had the seat fall off right from under me as well. Same reason, the bolt had apparently been over tightened, damaging the bolt. It decided to fall apart with me in the saddle.

It was daunting looking at the bike afterward with just the seatpost sticking up. That was scary!!! A little anticipatory pain.

I'm hoping a riding buddy will come by this weekend and spot me for a first ride. It doesn't have to be a long ride, just the idea of being back on the bike would be a boost.

And, if I have to wait another week, that's ok too.
 
I'm glad to hear you're back on your pain meds on schedule. It's really too early to start tapering off. That can give you the slight increase in pain you experienced which will then make your mood change for the worse. It's okay to use these meds to keep you comfortable right now. You aren't even a month out from surgery yet!!! And...quite honestly, you're doing really well!
 
A riding buddy is a good thing. A friend of mine bought a bike specifically to ride with me when I was ready to ride again. he is adding distance rapidly and I'm still huffing and puffing on hills.

Its normal for the blah days. I still have one now and again, related to the knee. But they are getting fewer and farther between.
 
My PT also warned me about falling---but he also said that we have to live our lives and enjoy them, too..he is a marathon runner and a triathlete, so he understood.

Remember the saying about what you do when you fall off of a horse---you get back on and ride.

Take it easy, be careful, and things will come back to you. Enjoy the life and the activities that go along with it---that is why you had the TKR, right?
 
Absolutely, I agree. I just called my riding buddy. He will come by this afternoon. The plan is to put on the platform pedals and see how it goes. I do want him here to spot me. That is just a reasonable precaution.

As is our rule, my expectations are low. I just want to start. The rest will come.
 
Buddy showed up for my first attempt at outdoor bike ride. Changed out pedals to platforms so I could escape if needed.

I have not been able to use this bike indoors on a stand because at my size and weight. Bikes on stands are not satisfactorily stable.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get the TKA knee "over-th-top".:cry: Tried twice and bailed out each time. I even attempted spinning once backward since that seems easier when on the exercise machines indoors. That time I did keep the foot on the pedal but pain spike was way to high.

Seat adjustment had leg fully extended so there is no solution there either.

But that is alright, like I said, no expectations. I'll give it a couple/few more days and try again. It might have worked if I had had some flexion warm up first, but I did not do that. Next time I will do some warm-up flexes.

I'm only 18 days post op so the whole attempt was probably unreasonable. I feel good having tried though.:yay: No longer afraid of getting back on that horse. Just a couple more degrees of flex needed.

It's all good.
 
Gene, you are doing great and I applaud you for considering a fully supported bike tour. :thumb:

I put BMX style platform pedals on my road bike and I am really glad I did. My foot on the TKR side wants to migrate to the outside of the pedal and with platforms it has the freedom to do so. Also, platforms allow you to start with your foot more forward on the pedal when your knee is stiff and will allow you to shift the foot back as you warm up. A trick I learned to get started on my bike was to start the pedal stroke with the TKR side and if my knee couldn't bend at the top of the pedal stroke, to rock it back and forth several times until it could. I also had to start with my heel centered on the platform pedal to comfortably pedal for the first several strokes.

Regarding the cranks....I found swapping the original 175 cranks for 165's really made my knee happier. I have a road bike with 172.5 cranks and every time I ride it I pay for it the next day with swelling, stiffness and pain in the knee. So if you plan on doing distance riding, your knee might appreciate shorter cranks.

You may notice that you have the endurance for the rides but that you will be slower. I have to make extra time allowances now for when I ride.

Good luck with your bike ride and let us know how it went.
 
Oh, another trick I learned to keep from falling on the bike was to turn the front wheel slightly in the direction that you will dismount. That will keep you from doing one of those slo-mo falls in the opposite direction. :blush:
 
Thanks for the tips, Sunflower. As you have probably read the ride was not a sucess other than the attempt was a good thing.

Actually I thought abought a shorter crank on the TKR side only but it seems silly, I think a few more days will take care of it.

I do like the heel forward and rock for startup suggestions.

Not too worried about endurance or speed, I'll just be happy to get back on the bike and then be able to ride without the post-ride agony. ( At least in the first knee)
 
BigGene, brotherman, I applaud your attempt on trying to ride. In my case, I didn't try to get on my bike on the trainer till I was 8 weeks post. I had enough trouble with the stationary bike at the PT.But once I got moving on that bike, it made me want the real bike. And when I did get on my bike, it was rough. Took me a few days before I could get the first full revolution. And THAT was the game changer. I know what you mean about the stability issue of the bike in the trainer. I'm 6'3" and 280 something now. I "FEEL" like I have be careful on it. My mind has to always be on center with it. Or so I think. My wife thinks I need to taper back a bit on speed. What if, she says, that thing comes lose with you doing 30MPH.... I answer back with it'll be a short ride with a lot of noise!!!

I have never tried clipless pedals. I did take the toe clips off my MTB before I rode on the street. My road bike is whats on the trainer, and I can't find the toeclips I had for it anyway. I started with my hybrid on the trainer, but its not really the right size for me, and made riding a chore after a while. But it was good for me since it has 172.5mm cranks instead of the 175s on both my MTB and the roadie.

Good luck!!!
 
But that is alright, like I said, no expectations. I'll give it a couple/few more days and try again. It might have worked if I had had some flexion warm up first, but I did not do that. Next time I will do some warm-up flexes.

Gene that is exactly the right attitude. Leave it for a few days and then try again. I found that approach really worked for me. What seemed impossible quickly became the norm.

You are right - you are early out. Try another day!
 
I think it's far too early for you to be expecting to do that. For starters, you could just try rocking back and forth on the pedals. At least it will help with your ROM a bit. Then one day - oops a daisy! Over you will go! It can take between 3-6 weeks to go all the way round. Don't be in too much of a hurry.
 
Hang in there, BigGene; these things will come. keep working on the ROM and gently rock the leg back and forth,ad surprise! There you go!

I use clipless SPD pedals and Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro II shoes---I am not much faster, but I can get a great work out for moth my quads and my hamstrings, too. At 56 years old, speed is not that important to me anymore---just getting out and getting there is what matters.

You have a great attidutde and you are making progress. It may be a little too slow for your liking (it was for mine, and I would say that 100% of us would say the same thing)---but progress is progress and you will be back on the "iron horse" soon.

Wow---you are less than three full weeks post-op and you are doing great!
 
Gene you are doing great! After going thru so much you are an inspiration. Thanks

About ROM, if it is really poor before the surgery all of this sounds like it will be fine (with lots of work) after surgery. How hopeful!
 
Gene - It's a hard decision. Only you can make up your mind when "the time" is. I'm a cyclist too, and was riding my bike up to replacement time. It was one of the few things I could do without pain. Left knee was June and the right done in July. Five weeks apart. Recovery has its stages. I've been cycling since and the knees do get better as the weeks go by. Soon, you get used to the "new normal", cause it isn't like your old knees. But, they work and don't hurt. I really haven't gone past a 50 mile ride yet, but that's just due to lack of time, not lack of knees! Good luck. - Chris
 
I also use clip less pedals. I don't dine they affect my performance any.
I started really slow, like riding around the block. Now I'm up to the 35 mile mark, in mountains, and the weather is finally agreeable enough that I can get out. Unfortunately, we have had a rough winter here and I have been cleaning the yard.....
 
Josephine, Surgery was April12 not 16th. The 16th was my first post-op report.Probably not important but a detail.
 
Off to PT this morning. Took it easy over the weekend, walked, rode exercise bike. Did not try to get back on road bike.

I will wait until flex gets better than current 113. Not ubhappy with that number though at all. Tomorrow is only three weeks.

Oh, I can't wait. But I will, because when it comes it will be great.

Thanks to all for your encouragement and reports of your own riding sucesses. They provide me with reasonable goals.
 
There is nothing like turning the cranks the first time and you will be on a high after that~not including that from the narcotics. :th_heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom