Will new knees be good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough night, I am sitting here thinking - I HATE NIGHT. sleeping at night has noy been good. Sleeping in the daytime just makes sleeping at night worse. This needs a solution.

I was there---I looked forward to a good night's sleep and it was horribly frustrating I tried everything. I ended up playing pinball on my computer and then I found this site.

Naps are great, but sleeping at night is normal---it is "how it should be."

Hang in there---this issue will pass. Besides, there are plenty of Law and Order episodes on late-night that I bet you haven't seen! (That is what i ended up watching!)
 
Gene, there is NO WAY I could have done what you did. :hate-shocked: I still send hubby to the store because it's nice to pass it off to someone else. :th_heehee: Your body is busy trying to compensate for the post-op anemia and I remember how I felt weak for the first month after my surgery. Please take it easy and listen to your body. Through trial and error you'll learn how to pace yourself in the coming days. And when you can't sleep, log on here.
 
Thanks, Sunflower. I got it now. I was just surprised.

PT today Flex 121 - 0 without any pushing by the therapist.
 
Good comeback at PT, BigGene. We all have those "ah-ha" moments where we discover how human we really are! And just when we were thinking of unpacking that Superman cape and tights.....:th_heehee:.

But you're back on track now. And...you have a happy mom! That's a really good thing!
 
Yesterday, after PT I went to see my PCP on unrelated issue. I asked about something to help with sleep.

He gave me a perscription for Ambien. He said don't take it till you are in bed and it might take 15 minutes to take effect.

Bottle said take 1-2 at bedtime.

I went to bed and decided to see if I could fall asleep. It was about 10:00pm. Tossed and turned, knee hurt a little made getting comfortable difficult. Thought about taking oxycodone, but that is what I've been doing without sucess.

So new protocal, I took 1 Ambien, picked up my Kindle and started reading. In about ten minutes I put down the book, rolled over and was gone. Woke at about 3 for a call of nature. Worried, "oh sh-t" now I am awake for the rest of the night. NOPE. Went right back to lala land till 6 am an it was daylight. I rolled over again, just for kicks, and slept till 8 am.

OMG, 10 hours of no hassle, no tossing, no pain, no oxycodone sleep.

I am convinced, insomnia, like pain is not required, get and take the right med, for me Ambien worked. (At least for one night)

Planning a bike ride today, last one was Saturday for 4 miles. Looking for 5-6 as a goal today, but I will TRY to listen to those little voices of moderation.

I'll report back after the ride. It is a great day low 60's right now, no wind, sunny and a flat trail at my disposal.
 
Bike ride today 10K - 6.2 miles. Endorphins kicked in at about 5 miles. It was like a little devil on one shoulder saying "This feels good, lets keep going, 10 miles would be easy", but good sense prevailed and I stopped. Rode at an average speed of 9 mph down a lot from my pre-surgery speed of 13 but who cares.

I am riding again and feeling good about it.

Back home now elevated and iced, of course!!!

My NEW KNEES WILL BE GOOD ENOUGH!!!
 
Gene - your's is such a wonderful story. I remember when you were convinced you just couldn't go through with the op. Wow! Look at you now! Riding that bike again like I knew you would! :yes 4:
 
I was pretty much a chicken(Sorry Mother Hen for the derogatory reference) back in December,

But this is a scary decision for all of us.

The past week I've begun to think about the need to do it again with the Left side. No brainer, right.

Not so much. My left knee has not been hurting, so I start asking myself "Should I wait???"

NO! WAIT FOR WHAT? my cartiledge to regrow?

I remember the x-rays, bone-on-bone, and realize that while a 1 mile walk, or a 6 mile ride is a GREAT accomplishment at this stage that my left knee has been getting a really easy life. It is still grinding and clicking away inn there. Not much pain but we really haven't stressed it to the point of pain, have I.

So, no second thoughts, next OS appt. is end of month.
I WILL DISCUSS scheduling LTKR.
I WILL DISCUSS scheduling LTKR.
I WILL DISCUSS scheduling LTKR.
I WILL DISCUSS scheduling LTKR.
 
That little devil on the shoulder sure is a nasty thing huh?
Difference between you and me is you actually listened to your body. I usually listen to the devil. I guess this is why I still over-do things. I get lots of endorphin rushes while exercising, and that overrides it all. Then I get home and ..."What the H@!! was I thinking!!!

I'm glad the ambien worked for you. I usually have alot of pain at night because I am on by feet all day and 1 percocet gets rid of it.
Then, I sleep.

Now just follow through with your plan and get that left knee done!
Sandy
 
Gene I am so happy that you are doing so well!:yahoo:

Biking longer distances already? Wow!


I am finally getting bit by the exercise bug again after all these years!:biggrin: Now, I need it to bite my Hubby!:hysterical:
 
The the endorphines got me from long distance. I booked a fully supported Vermont Bike tour for the 4th of July week. Thats eight weeks of rehab/training between now and then.

Just so you all don't think I am completely crazy. The trip has a van that follows you around all day. They will pick you and your bike up whenever vyou need to quit. You can even opt out for the day if you wish. These is not a 100 mile a day type tour but rather a 15 to 35 mile per day tour.

The cyclists out there will vouch for these distances not being unreasonable. It's go at your own pace, slow.

Most importantly, I bought the cancelation insurance that does cover pre-existing conditions. So if bad thing happen between now and then I can get reimbursed.

The trip is not in the mountains but in the region surrounding Lake Champlaine and accomadations are plush. (This is not a camping trip)

It's eight weeks away, I will be 12 weeks post surgey. I will continue my careful work at building my capacity to ride the distance. I actually think that re-building aerobic capacity will be a more limiting factor than the knee. The winter, pre and post surgery time has reallly de-conditioned me. My goal is to ride easy on the trip and enjoy both the Vermont Contryside and MY NEW KNEE.

The left knee will complain, I am sure, but lefty will get it's turn in September.

I AM PUMPED.:dancy::yay::yahoo:
 
Gene, that trip sounds great. I started out, like you with little 4 or five mile trips. By early June, I easily biked the 20 miles that my bike group goes every Thursday. I also, found that my speed was down . This year, the speed is back to normal. I just finished a 45 mile ride today. Good knees.
 
Wow Gene, I am so impressed. I am three weeks post op, and you have left me in the dust. Enjoy your Bike tour - I am envious. I am not a bike rider but have always been active in the past (riding horses, boating, hiking and tons of sports) and I too look forward to doing something outdoors again.
 
SkiGirl,
You are definitely my role model for recovery. Speed is not an issue for me. I will be happy pedaling the miles, smelling the flowers and definitely burning a few calories.

I hope my luck holds.

Jennyl,
Don't be envious. We will all travel this road differently, but the endpoint will all be identical.

A new healthier, pain reduced life where we can make our own decisions on activities we want to do, instead of it being dictated to us by the restrictions of arthritis and other joint disease.

By the way, try a bike, it's a great low impact, aerobic, lifetime activity. There are all kinds of travel destinations built around easy cycling. You can ride easy or agressively and enjoy it just the same.
 
You are using wonderful common sesne. I had to resort to Ambien---I took it for only ten nights and it re-established my sleep habits.

Bicycling like you are is great---start small---slowly build the strength, stamina, and ROM---stay within your comfort zone and then gently expand it---listen to your body and it is better to go not quite far enough rather than too far. Things can slowly buld and it is important for you to stay positive and act positive---going too far and too fast can upset things a bit, so you are doing a great job in all aspects.
 
Wow! Gene you are such an inspiration. Maybe the hardest part is just deciding to get this done. Thanks for your wonderful posts!
 
thanks Tim,
I am trying very hard to always stay below maximum effort. It is analogous to aerobic training or marathon training for a first marathon.. Train at 70% to build an aerobic base before doing interval or speed work. Avoid injury or set backs in training. More people fail to get to the Marathon starting line than fail to finish once they start.

I see this rehab process as the same. (It is really the same thing BoneSmarties are saying when they get angry at agressive PT) Never pushed to a limit whether that is a ROM limit or aerobic limit. Always keep just enough pressure to gain improvement but always without risking injury.

The hard part is knowing where"70%" is because as we heal the 70% point moves, but only in tiny steps. So maintaining pressure without either stagnation or injury is key.

It sums up the same every time LISTEN TO YOU BODY.
The problem is we don't always understand what we are being told by our body.

I am trying. I like goals, but goals must meet the 70% rule as well. That is the goal must be reasonable. It is nice to exceed a goal. But if a goal is too hard we suffer set backs trying to reach it, making things worse.

My trip may seem extreme as a goal, where is the 70% rule. Well it is built into the availability to adjust milage and get in the van, or take a day off and stay at the pool tour a museum. 70% control is possible by not pushing to ride "fast", don't push up that next hill. Stop get a ride.

I don't know if it is convincing or not but it is helping me get there!

This is the Big Gene traing/recovery outline. Hopefully it makes sense and I can follow my own rules.
 
OK, so I have exhausted all conservative treatments, allowed my activities to become more and more restricted, given up on activities that I want to do or pay a price in pain if I do them . I agree that my knees are undoubtable bad enough.

But when all is said and done, surgery on both knees, rehab etc. will my new knees and the body and mind be good enough to achieve the quality of life I desire.

I need a crystal ball!!! I read the threads on this forum and while some seem to have a relatively easy recovery and remarkable sucess, many have a long and difficult struggle. Sometimes, it seems that more people struggle than succeed. Perhaps those that do well stop reporting there sucesses and become inactive on the forum.

No i am not using assistive devices, I can still ride a road bike 30, 40, or even 50 miles, but two surgeries spaced apart with unpredictable recovery/rehab time in between will assuredly make matters worse before they get better.

As I ponder this decision I keep fearing the lost time to come.

Oh, this is exhausting!!

Gene

Dec 2010..you were not sure if you would recover you life and now Vermont...here you come:yes 4:
 
Periodization training, listening to your body, 70% rule - you got it all going, man. Great job. You will be good to go for the Lake Champlain ride. I would say that I will ask my customers to not spread manure that week, but then I would be making promises I can't keep. Enjoy the ride (you will).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom