Will new knees be good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big milestone, indeed. I was discussing this with my buddy who has been my driver/coach on the way home today and I told hime that the last couple days I am beginning to think of my "new" knee as my "good" knee.

Wonderful news. Helps make me that much more eager to get mine done.
 
Gene ...such a GREAT report. I had my Right knee done in April 2009. I was ready by JULY to have the left one done...but my doc did not agree. I was so glad when I finally got the LTKR....I have NO regrets having them done!!!
 
It really is a shame that we cannot get a "Twofer" deal---you know---"two for the price of one!---or BOGO.

I am glad to read that things are improving and that your knee is becoming truly a great part of you.
 
That's BOGOF, Tim - Buy One Get One Free

But I'm sure you knew that and it was just a typo! :wink1:
 
One of the few things I have learned over my 63. No matter how much we mat try to onvince ourselves, there is always a price. Nothing is free or easy.
 
Speaking of not free.

I was am day-dreaming(or maybe it's the drugs) about booking a Bike Tour with VBT Vacations for the July 4th week.

Here is the thinking/analysis/justification.

Need a boost that says "New knees are good enough" before proceeding with knee #2 in September.

Need a real vacation!!!(without drogs, ice, elevate)
The tour company provides an "easy" route around the Lake Champlaine area of Vermont.
They have a van traveling the route with a cell phone, snacks, repair equipment and a mechanic) and will provide assistance along the way.
You can "call it a day" at any time you want get in the van and go to the Inn for the pool/hot tub, etc.

I am not looking for the Tour de France here just, some easy pedaling with like minded people that says the future is almost now!

Any thoughts? Is it a dream or a nightmare?(all unsatisfactory opinions will be ignored, no hard feeling though)

It's only money! Worst case is I ride the van every day or hang out at the inn. Right.

Best case. Get re-inforced that "new knees are goood enough" and reminded that the Left knee is still out there saying "me too, pleeeeaaaase"
 
The Bike trip sounds like fun Gene! I hope you get to take advantage of it!

Your knee replacement looks like mine! Did you take my picture in the scanner at the airport?!:hysterical:
 
There is a black market in Airpport scan copies. Didn't you know that?
 
Good Heavens Gene! I hope that the knees are the ONLY parts of me that reached the black market from that scanner!:hysterical:
 
I think you could do the cycling around the lake. Take some time before hand to build up your cycling strength and endurance, and you will be fine.

I can easily do 35-50 miles a day---i did 60 miles a couple of times---i am sure that you can do it, too.

I just make sure that my bike always has "granny gears.":biggrin:
 
The "BOGO" here in the US comes from a shoe store that advertises on television when they have a "Buy One, Get One Free" sale...they call it "BOGO." You know.....Americans are always in a hurry with stuff and must make the abbreviation shorter ("Buy One, Get One), so they can hurry up and spend money! :th_heehee: After all....it's SHOES we're talking about here!!!!
 
The "bad attitude" germ got me yesterday. You all know. Feelin' sorry for myself, tired of hurtin', why aren't I running an iron man yet?
Blah, Blah, Blah.

Thing going on were, cutting back a little on meds since I left the hospital on megadoses it was time to fiddle a little. Trying to adjust scedule some. That raised pain level to a 3-5 where I was previously maintaining very little pain at all.

Functionally, all is still good and improving daily. Cane is quickly becoming a safety item rather than a necessity. Can add a couple leg lifts to the exerccises, added 2 minutes to the bike ride. Nothing extreme no big attempts to add huge amounts. All is done in small increments.

I guess the small increments got to me along with the slight increase in pain level.

I'm in a hurry (not for any good reason) just because that's the way I am. Contoling those impulses is a strain. Almost as bad as doing too much is a strain.

Oh well, things seem a little brighter this morning. (And I put my meds back on a slightly more frequent shedule)

Just needed to vent.

Off to PT today, which is fine except for the monster at the end who thinks her role is to make me miserable. I think she would look good in black plastic tights with whips and chains.

I am prepared to get up and go home if/when she exceeds my boundary.
 
VBTs tour around L. Champlain is right in my backyard, Gene. I have never done it, but I know the roads from working on dairy farms in the area. It is a flat ride and the views of the Adirondacks, Green Mountains and the Lake are magnificant. VBT has a great reputation as well. When Donna and I did a ride across NY State last summer one of the people that we spent time with is a guide for them. The tour is worth training and prepping for, in my opinion, but I am biased because I love the area.

Kurt
 
Thanks Kurt, good info. It would give me a specific target/reward and has the flexibility necessary that I could still go even if I am not quite ready for the ironman.

I may wait another few days before committing money. I would like to have actually been outdoors on my bike, even for a very short excursion before I commit.

I guess the "fear" of falling is the only real obstacle here. I know I can ride the excersize machines.
 
Hang in there Gene! The frustration means you are well on your way to a normal life.

Just a bit more recovery and you will be out there riding with the rest of them!
 
#1---your knees will be good neough!

#2---It is time for you to begin enjoying life again---why not ride around Lake Champlain? Do what you enjoy---your old knees have prohibited this for so long, WHY NOT do it? Hey---it will serve several purposes---1.) you will have fun! 2) it will strengthen your knees and 3) it will show you just what your knees---and you ---are capable of doing! A re-affirmation, if you will!
 
Fear of falling. I hear that Gene. Getting outside for the first time was a bit daunting, but soon your muscle memory kicks in. Be sure to work on balance during PT, which I am sure you are. Speaking of falling, I was out Wednesday afternoon sneaking in a 32-miler in the middle of the day while working at home. I got half way out and all of a sudden I heard a loud snap and my saddle was gone! My mountain biking skills kicked in and I managed to stay upright and balanced on the pedals, steered off the road and come to a safe halt. Luckily it was not during the 36-plus MPH descent I had done a few miles back, but on a flat section. The saddle clamp bolt sheared. Since I didn't carry a spare and was not about to stand and ride the 16 miles back home, I put out a call (had the Blackberry) to one of my consultants that I knew was in the area and he became my SAG wagon. First time that has happended to me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom