Will new knees be good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:sleep::sleep::sleep: I am having a sleep day too, Gene. My revision RTKR was 4/11/11 and I have been amazed at all the stuff you are doing. I am doing mostly PT in bed or around the house, not making it very far from my ice machine. I have used my cpm machine and take short walks inside my house with my cane. I do quad sets, ankle pumps, knee slides, & stretching mostly. Compared to your activities I have felt like a wimp, but I know..yada, yada, yada, we are all different. Having acknowledged that we are different, at the same in that our bodies have been through major trauma:thud:
and after undergoing general anesthesia & a big surgery, our bodies need to heal and adjust and sleeping is a part of that. So overall I would say Big Gene is doing terrific:sleepz: and some snooze time will re-energize you!
Parla
 
Parla, I'm not sure I'm doing much more than you. (I just fudge about it more.)

Really, Yeah, I.ve done wsome walking and get around the pedals on the bike, but that is about it. I think I.ve gotton lucky with the range of motion being just enough to make it look better than it is.

I take both a long acting oxycontn and percodet every 4 hours on the clock. Without the meds I could not have done the little"extra" that I have.

We will all get there.

Besides you are a day ahead of me.

:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:
 
I think there is a need for a new group. :sleep:BoneSmart Nappers :sleep:.

Only requirements are a true love for the horizontal
and a view of life through our eyelids.

Join now!!!
 
After getting so sick this week, I found out about the restorative power of sleep again! I was so sick last night that I was up until 3 a.m. But, I slept until 3 p.m. today and I didn't realize how I had been skimping on sleep. It will bring on sickness and a harder time healing.

I am going to have to explain to my hubby that just because he likes to stay up until 1:30 a.m. and get up at 10:00 doesn't mean I can. I have to be up by 8 for PT so that is not 8 hours!
 
One of the advantages of living alone is I can do whatever, whenever. If my eyelids speak to me, I am out. No need to compromise about when sleep-time is.

I better stay away from issues of spouses/partners. There are disadvantages of being alone as well. So please don't get jealous.
:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:
 
Napping is great! Ironically, when we were younger---we didn't want to nap---little kids do not like it. Naps now are great.

BigGene---naps are your body's way of saying---"I have a little more healing to do! Relax and let me get this work done!"
 
BONE SMART NAPPERS?! I'm ready! All I have done this weekend is sleep every chance I get. So looking forward to May 31st! Keep up the great healing, it keeps one positive! God Bless!
 
Gene you are doing marvelous. I don't remember seeing what knee you got. Keep up the good work but don't overdo it... That can be worse than doing nothing.
 
Gene,

I'm not jealous..... well envious at times when it comes to sleep!:wink1:
I was single for 40 years and set my own sleep schedule, and have to admit I really miss it!:secretaea:
 
If anything I think I read too much ahead of things. I felt that if I was going to have to live with something like that, I wanted to know what was getting put in there. Rest is a good thing. I was off work for 5 weeks, and glad I didn't go back after 3 like I planned to. And frankly, if I feel like taking a nap, I ask my wife if she feels like one too. Otherwise, I take one...
 
While I am/was an engineer and love to get into the technical nitty gritty, I decided early on that while some of the newer oncepts were interesting the research did not support functioally that there was any benefit. Once that was out of the way it was all about the people. The surgeon the facility the care etc.
 
Got on the scale today, first time since going to hospital.
Down 12 pounds. Wooohooo !
Only 60-100 to go.
 
Went to two week follow-up with OS today. All is good (on or ahead of schedule). Staples are out. Avatar is today's bionic x-ray.

I am "back to work". I am tele-commuting, which means I am sitting in my Lazy Boy with my knee elevated and iced, with a telephone and a laptop and I can do pretty much the same stuff I do when at the office.

If it becomes a problem I an back off.

Yesterday, I did some walking outdoors with cane and some spinning on the recumbant. I have been experimenting withe cutting meds back a little from values when I left hospital. Went 8 hours overnight without percoset for the first time. All was good when I got up this am.

PT this afternoon.
 
A great milestone Gene - staples out. Bet that feels better! Keep up the good work!
 
A big milestone, indeed. I was discussing this with my buddy who has been my driver/coach on the way home today and I told hime that the last couple days I am beginning to think of my "new" knee as my "good" knee. As I walk and pedal I am right at that point where I am beginning to worry more about the non-operative knee from a pain/stability standpoint more than the TKR.

So, to address the thread question "Will my new knees be good enough?""

I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm pretty certain it is NOT a train.

Just thought I should share my good feelins' today.

:yahoo:
 
:hysterical: Nope, no train! Just lots of pain free days!
 
Good progress then, eh? Keep on chugging, Gene - you're the train!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom