THR Will I ever get off the pain meds - so depressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a good plan Jaycey.

Dentist told me to use hot compresses on my jaw and take ibuprophen and it should go away...I may be clenching in my sleep and not know it. He said usually happens after a stressful situation :doh:.

Ya think???:hehe:
 
I may be clenching in my sleep and not know it. He said usually happens after a stressful situation :doh:.

Janet that is EXACTLY what I do. Apparently it started when I had spinal problems and has continued. You're right - stress like the pain you have been in will bring it all on.

I am so glad you had it looked at. Let us know if your dentist's suggestion works. Hope so!
 
Wel, it certainly can't hurt. If I don't talk or chew I feel pretty good! I have to admit to taking percocet (not if I'm going out though!) because I can't take ibuprofen with my OA medication (Mobic).

The good news is that my leg feels GREAT so I don't need the percocet for that. A hydrocolator is a fantastic aid for pain. It does make a difference...
 
Hi Jacey,
Just checking in to see how you are feeling.
Keeping my fingers crossed, that your pain has subsided.:wub:
 
Thanks Gideon! So nice of you to ask. The pain has subsided somewhat but I am still "walking on eggs" to insure I am not stressing my back.

I am just back from PT and the very goods news is it's just a back strain and I am not yet discharged. The nerve (sciatic) pain seems very well under control. Now I need to remember to be kind to the bad back I still have and not go crazy trying to do things too fast.

Sound familiar? Yes my fellow hippies - even at almost 6 months out we still need to watch it!

I will see PT for a followup next week but he is not concerned that I have done any damage. Fingers and toes crossed I can move on to a better place! :pray:
 
Hi Jaycey
Oh what good news.. :thmb: and good advice as always!!!

I'm so happy to hear you are doing better now and haven't been completely discharged from PT.

You take care now and rest that back...
 
Jaycey:

I am sorry you are having pain....saying prayers for you that it will stop soon.. We are both discouraged in different ways.. but we will get through it and this time next year we will look back on the problems we had and do a happy dance....:jump: ---Valerie
 
Dear Jaycey, I know what you mean about walking on egg shells. I too am somewhat doing that, almost afraid to believe the bubble isn't going to burst.

I must admit that even though I get a lot accomplished during the day now, including caring for my 2 year grandaughter every day last week from 2-7, I still rest in my recliner in between what I do. I have to!

And I'm certainly not ready to "leap tall buildings in a single bound":hehe:, but I am certainly better that where I was a year ago, not perfect yet, but better.

I'm just thankful to be able to do most of everything that I could do before. I have to get a lot stronger and that is not going to happen overnight. But I do believe with time, and work, it will happen.

As for my back, that is always going to be an issue so I will always have to watch what I do because of that. Best!:thmb:
 
Jacey,
Boy, I hope you can get some relief! What a bum deal -to need pain meds and yet have trouble tolerating them.
And it's so hard to deal with the diminishment in all this, both the condition and aging itself. I had a cold the other day, and it used to be- if I didn't have a fever- I could go out and run 5 to 10 miles and blow it out by the time I got home. Now I have to stay warm, use whatever medication I can tolerate, hope I can nurse myself and ride it out without getting pnuemonia.
I am greatful to not have to take pain meds (just now), but I understand now why I needed them though the year. And I probably should have used more-on a regular schedule. I know you know to take them as needed, which is to take care and comfort whenever we need it in spite of expectations and disapointments within ourselves.
Jim
 
Thanks Jimbo, I am still fighting this battle. I tried to go off the meds again last weekend and ended up starting them again on Tuesday. Morning is the worst time for me. I get muscle spasms on both my op side and the side where I have a spinal problem. :sgh: I don't have any more arthritis in my hip but the cold has certainly not helped in any area. Boy - I think I need a complete refurbishment :cry:.
 
We are pretty much in the same boat here Jaycey...good day, bad day, good day etc. Having the spinal stenosis etc. is a so-and-so to deal with on top of the hip issue.

My hip is pretty darn good these days, except yesterday when getting back into my car after being out and about "BAM" got the BIG ONE again in the back of my thigh!

I get sooo scared:shk:when that happens as that is where my fracture was. Kind of a lose your breath pain. Haven't a clue if it's the circlage wire pinching me or what but very scary when it happens.

My back will ALWAYS be the big problem. It is why I was afraid of having the THR in the first place.

I still take 2 percocet every day. I have to. I told my NP yesterday that I will go to the pain clinic from here on so she doesn't have to keep refilling for me. She thought that was a good idea.

Keep the faith Jaycey...I'm still waiting for the final one year results. Best!
 
Hi Janet, is it muscle spasms you are getting or other pain? I have major spasming from the butt down the back of the thigh. If I do a hamstring stretch (I do alot them these days) I can stretch it out.

Yes - keep the faith and hope that the ups and downs will develop into more ups in the future!
 
Jaycey, Are you able to take muscle relaxants? I took them for awhile (when I didn't have to drive), along with ibuprofen and tramadol, heat, ice, stretches, and IT band massages, and it has helped a lot. I have also been forcing myself to rest and not do as much (very difficult with holidays coming!). I, too, find the cold contributes to the problem, but it won't be warm for a long time, so I need to get used to it!
 
Jaycey, mine is NOT pain either...it is unbelieveable clenching down both legs, back and front (mostly front), as well as up my back to my shoulder blades. That is why the facet blocks never really helped.

I have to lie flat for about 5-10 minutes to make it release...not able to do so while trying to hold down a job :doh:.

If I keep moving I am better than if I stand in one place. I have tried everything for relief.

At the moment the pain I have is the awful ache in my thigh..I believe it is the edema in the bone marrow.

I have an appoinment at the Pain Clinic Dec.8th to pick his brain...:skep:

We can just do the best we can do, right? Best!
 
I don't really do well with muscle relaxants Rebecca. They make me a zombie! Heat does seem to help though.

Let us know how you get on with the Pain Clinic Janet. I am wondering if that might be my next move!
 
you could always try half or quarter of a muscle relaxer?

xoxoxox,

Linda.
 
True - might go see my GP to discuss. Thanks!
 
Good point! I wonder why they were NEVER mentioned to me? Now what do you mean by muscle relaxers though, valium, flexeril? I'm not sure about these meds as it's been years since I had flexeril (neck issues) and valium is harder to get than percocet!

When I have a MRI they literally prescribe 1 pill. It cost as $1+ for 1 and $4 for 30!

I'm with Jaycey though on being knocked for a loop by valium, unless of course like percocet I'd become used to it...

I just want relief, that's all. Constant pain does a number on your head more than anything :sgh:...

Sorry Jaycey..just want to know too...
 
Only a few more days until your Pain Clinic appt. Hang in there!
 
Needless to say, I don't know that there is really anything else to be done:sgh:. More meds, more $$$.

Seems my life revolves around medical appointments...Next week for example:

Monday/thyroid doc, Tuesday/orthodontist, Wednesday/pain clinic.

Last week OBGYN/for fibroid/ovarian cycts, and NP for BP follow up.

January/consult for D & C.

At this age it takes a lot of maintenance to stay on this side of the grass :wink:! :hehe::hehe::hehe:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom