Guest viewing is limited

THR Will I ever get off the pain meds - so depressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just caught up with all your messages and I am truly overwhelmed. I just can't thank all of you enough for the great support. I means so much - most especially when I am in pain.

Today I tried a little heat and it seemed to work. I've also been doing a lot of the piriformis and ham string stretches. If things are in spasm the stretches seem to relieve it. :sigh:

Purple - your comment about changing things is so true. You wear different shoes or do something new and your body notices big time.

Sunshine - the hot tub sounds great. Only problem is a live the country and we don't have access to those things. A long hot shower seemed to help this morning.

Janet - I am wondering about the weather as well. It has turned very cold here and I wonder if that has triggered some of this :pzld:?

Jo - my physio has been doing the acu-pressure and it has really worked well. If I could find a chiropractor who just did that it would be great. My last experience with one really caused me major back problems. He wanted to "crack" my spine every visit and boy did that cause problems.

I have a dual channel TENS. It never worked with my hip issues. But I will give it a go again on this muscle stuff. I can't remember the settings I used. Any suggestion?

I am back to the regular schedule on the pain meds. Step by step I guess. Need just a bit more time - I hope.
Thanks again for being there my friends! :wub:
 
Try them out one at a time. You never really know which mode will work best. But I always used the electrodes in a 'diamond slot' formation with opposing corners being connected like this

[Bonesmart.org] Will I ever get off the pain meds - so depressed


That way you get a double wammy as the currents cross over at the trigger point.

And play around with the intensity too. But never, ever turn it up if it seems to lose power. That just means the current is doing its work and turning it to a stronger setting won't get you any better result. There's an explanation of how they work here.

I always used mine for a few hours at a time. Mine has a 30 min timer on it so when it times out, I just reset it for another session. So far I've used it on shoulders, high back, middle back, lower back, knees and thighs. Anywhere I get a pain, in fact. One time, I was using it at work after an arthroscopy; I kept the electrodes on the knee all day and the unit in my scrubs pocket. I'd switch it off when I had a patient but soon as I was free, on it would go again! Couldn't afford to take pills, y'see and this way I was able to be back at work. Mind, it did help that I worked in recovery so was able to sit a lot of the time! :wink:
 
Ummmmm.....Joooooo.....Jaycey had a hip replacement, not a knee. Can you do a similar photo for hips?
 
Thanks for the info Jo. I will play around with my TENS this weekend. Might be the solution for easing the spasms so I can get moving in the AM.

Jamie - :hehe: I think I can figure it out with the back pain. There are two points on the lower back and two down the back of my thighs. It's just getting the right positive or negative wire hooked up.

Thanks for being there!
 
Jo
I have always followed your posts with great interest and the tens unit information was interesting same as Jacey I had one for my hip and I did not get any relieve from it (only when it was active).

I thought this was what a tens did ie get rid of the pain why it was connected and on in fact I sold mine because of that reason I give above.

What I would like to ask you Jo does that mean I was not using it correctly in other words pads not placed in the correct position etc,I sure there are a lot of members have these and are not getting the results they expected.

Norman :pzld:
 
Well, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. And some pain is too deep for it as well. It's not an exact science.Though it might not work for a hip pain, it would work for SI joint pain, bursitis or something similar.

And the photo might be of a knee but it's the position of the pads I wanted to portray so the fact it's on a knee is coincidental.
 
I use my Tens on my shoulder and and back and it's wonderful. I had tried it with my hips but it never did anything I didn't feel. I never thought about the way you showed it Jo (Thanks) sure it will be a double whammy.
Jayce feel better and maybe it is the cold too! So far we are still in summer here and praying for the cool days to come down from up north! So I am not sure about that but I know the dampness starts everything else hurting!!! I keep a few large candles burning to help with the dampness in my apt. My house used to have gas fire place heat and that was great for taking out dampness and helped me too!
 
Jaycey, I have to add here about the chiropractor. I too have back/neck issues and I went to a few chiro's over the years (all with VERY good recommendations/referrals) and ended up worse in fact needing disc surgery after (same with Bill).

I don't know why it works super for some and causes harm for others, like me. I think sticking with one who does the just the comperession is a good idea though.

I would like to get a TENS machine myself after reading about personal ones here and will ask my PT about it on Monday. Hope you are doing better. XOX Janet
[Bonesmart.org] Will I ever get off the pain meds - so depressed
 
I wouldn't use it on my neck, Janet. Except on the upper back, but not the actually neck. Major nerves are too superficial there.
 
Jamie - :hehe: I think I can figure it out with the back pain. There are two points on the lower back and two down the back of my thighs. It's just getting the right positive or negative wire hooked up.

Thanks for being there!

Jaycey...I woke up in the night thinking that was probably a pretty silly comment of mine back to Jo. Of course she knows about your surgery and she also knows you have the background to be able to adjust! It was a "Duhhhh.....blonde" moment of mine :D......
 
:shk: Gosh Jo! Hadn't planned on using it on my neck :wItht: ! I just meant that the manipulation that I got for my neck & back did more harm to me.

I just want to get one for my thigh. If it is covered by insurance, all the better...

:hehe::rotfl: Promise, I won't put it around my neck!!!
 
Oh Jaycey I wish I could take that pain away and send mine with it!

It is so frustrating and upsetting too I don't want to e on pain meds forever either hopefully the day will come when you are pain free until that day I am sending you lots of love xxxxxx
 
Thanks Natalie! I really appreciate your support.

We had house guests all weekend and I am just exhausted today. I have a feeling all this "new" pain is a result of lifting something I shouldn't have. Muscles across my lower back are just screaming today. Hip isn't happy either! :sigh:
 
Oh yes Jaycey, that will do it for sure! I can't lift even my little grandaughter anymore and won't even attempt it. She is 30+ pounds now. You might alternate ice & heat, rest as much as possible and PLEASE use the pain meds. This is a good example of when it is absolutely ok and necessary...:wink:

Have you had just massage? If the gave you an exercise sheet at pt do some stretching like bending your knees to your chest. Sometimes that will help the lower back, at least it does for me, also arching your back. Good luck...

PS, these are things passed on to me from pt, not MY opinion...
 
Hi Janet, yes I have been alternating heat and ice and it does ease things. I am so stupid as I know I am prone to back issues and still lifted things anyway. :doh:It seems to trigger a chain of pain - walking wrong or sitting wrong due to the pain make other areas start hurting (i.e. the hip). All very frustrating but as you say I need to start over with the basics.

I had a massage about a month ago and it really bothered my back. Sticking to heat and ice for now.

Hope you are feeling OK today!
 
If it wasn't for the jaw pain (?) the last several days, my leg is feeling pretty darn good today! I went back to pt and it was fine. All went well, except for being so weak strength wise. Hopefully that will improve quickly!

I go to the dentist tomorrow to find out what the heck is going on. I've NEVER had any teeth problems, it's in the jaw hinge. Sounds like TMJ from what I've read, yet I don't grind my teeth. Whatever it is, glad I see the dentist tomorrow...

Bill hurt his back today and had disk surgery 2 years ago. He'll suffer through it as he won't even take a tylenol :doh:!

Hope you are feeling better :cnsl:...
 
Hi Janet, you say you don't grind your teeth but do you clench your teeth? That's what I do and I now wear a guard at night. I know I also clench when I am under stress, in pain or when I am driving.

Feeling a bit better today. I have been "babying" my back for the last few days. Muscles are still very sore and I can't sit for long periods but things seem to be settling. I dread my PT this week as it is the last visit I am allowed. Seems to always happen with me. I am on the road to getting better and the bam - setback and no more PT allowed :cry:.

Sorry about Bill's back. Hope it's not too serious!

Thanks for being there!
 
About a week ago I was ready to start a thread here about how I think we finally cracked it and my back and hip pain are finally under control.

Fast forward to today and based on how I feel all that was rubbish. I had about a week of flexibility and had reduced my pain meds to one per day. But for the last two days I have been in agony! :shk:

This pain is not arthritis - it's what I can only describe as muscle spasms. If I sit for any length when I get up I get massive spasms down the piriformis and on the lower back. My hip has also started to ache at times.

I have been seeing an osteopath and PT and (once again) have reached my last PT visit.

Obviously I need the get back on the pain meds and take them regularly (Jo - you taught me well). And tonight I (sadly) have made the decision to do so. But I am 5.5 months out of LTHR. Will this ever end?

I am just SO discouraged and I knew my friends here would understand. :cry: I would just like to get on with life.

Thanks for being there!


Have you talked to your doctor about a muscle relaxer?
I'm 7 weeks post op and also suffer from spasms. My doctor gave me a script for flexeril and it helps a lot.
Flexeril is not a narcotic and is non addicting, you may want to discuss it with your doctor.:wink:
 
Hi Gideon, thanks for the suggestion. My problem is I don't tolerate the drugs very well. There are very few drugs that I can take and not become a zombie.

Things are bit better today. I am hoping things are settling. Being very careful about lifting or stressing my lower back. And I am not spending hours sitting. Fingers crossed! :pray:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom