TKR When oh when oh when

Hi @Jammy . Welcome to Bonesmart but sorry you’re struggling. Please. Do not let your physical therapist push on your leg, bend it or anything else. You can tell them “hands off”. Remember “just say no”? I told my PT that I make the rules and my other leg works just fine so look out!

Marie

My surgeon is a woman.
That's unusual, but my apologies for assuming otherwise
I am just trying to get better. I know my body, which is why I canceled my PT for Friday and now have 5 days off. I really don't want to stop PT altogether though.
No one is suggesting you stop PT; it just needs not to hurt.

@Layla - I'd like to change the title. Is it doable? I am not getting as many responses as I hoped.

@InkedMarie - thank you! I did tell her it hurt, and she said it was necessary. I talked to the PA today about it, and indicated I would stop doing PT if this kept on. So I hope that will help.

did tell her it hurt, and she said it was necessary. I talked to the PA today about it, and indicated I would stop doing PT if this kept on
I really don't think it needs to hurt. I am using pilates rather than physio and it never hurts. My teacher always tells me to back off if there is pain. My ROM is excellent and we are just now at 4 months using a resistance band and tiny weights to build strength. I would either look for a different physio or try pilates.
@beachy is going back to one that uses more massage and ultrasound. Might be worth asking her how she found her PT.

I talked to the PA today about it, and indicated I would stop doing PT if this kept on
Good to hear, Jammy. I believe if they know you have boundaries, they will respect them. :fingersx:

Also, as Roy mentioned above, we will be happy to change your thread title. Just let us know below what you'd like your new thread title to be.

@InkedMarie - thank you! I did tell her it hurt, and she said it was necessary. I talked to the PA today about it, and indicated I would stop doing PT if this kept on. So I hope that will help.
Nope, not necessary. it is your leg. You say yes or no. Sometimes, it’s hard to speak up but sometimes you must.
Marie

@Layla - I don't know what to change the title to. I have different things I want to discuss. The main thing I think I'd like to say is, My Doctor Lied. But I don't think that will go over very well. But she told me this surgery would be pretty rough the first few weeks and then I would progressively get better. NOT. The surgery so far has been pretty/very rough the first two and a half months! I had pain at Christmas, I can't drive distances in a car, I can't walk without limping, I have a stomach ache all the time because I can't poop, my knee feels like a clump of wood, I am always fatigued, and I can't sit in a chair for a half hour and write to BoneSmart about my post-surgery woes! I also have only one bottle left of pain meds (tramadol) to take and then I will be seeing a pain management doctor! These days I'm only taking 2 pills a day! I take them when I have pain!

The other issue - I am still in the process of not going to PT, and I'm not suffering like I was when I was going there twice a week. I'm having a dilemma about not going there for my next appt. on Wed. May 8. Tomorrow I could tell them I'm done. I could sign up for a gym with Silver Sneakers I think and just go to a gym and ride the bike and do some soft exercises and that's it.

Also - suggestions as to what to take. Aleve is better than Advil? Take omeprazole in the morning, any certain brand? I'm drinking MiraLax to help my constipation. Is that giving me stomach pain OR is it the Advil doing that? I go for days with having stomach trouble, waiting for success. I don't take tramadol while I'm waiting as it supposedly causes me to feel backed up, which is a terrible feeling. So then I have pain.

And last - no one said it was going to take three to six months to feel okay. I would have reconsidered doing this surgery if I had known. You might ask, Don't you feel better than you did before your surgery? NO.

Thank you!

I don't know what to change the title to.
How about “Feeling Disappointed” or something similar, “defeated”, “disillusioned”, because you do seem to be feeling that way. If member’s want to read further to see why you’re feeling that way, they will, or they’ll choose not to.

It is unfortunate that many of us are not better informed and understand the reality of recovery. One thing you have to remember is that it can take a full year for most to recover. Many members notice improvement into their second and even third years post op. It is still early into recovery for you in the entire scheme of things.

I can't drive distances in a car,
I couldn’t either for several months, can you explain why you struggle with this?
I struggled due to the tight confines and inability to stretch and move my leg. Is it doable for you if you take breaks to stretch and walk while on a longer drive?

I can't walk without limping
Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try, many do and most find it very helpful in losing the limp.
I have a stomach ache all the time because I can't poop,
Stay adequately hydrated. Try Prunes, Apples, Pears, Kiwi, Figs, Citrus Fruits, Greens, Sweet Potatoes, Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds, Oat Bran, to name a few ideas.
A daily walk also if you’re able may help.
I am always fatigued,
Many are, you’re not alone. Until sleep regulates and it will, sleep when you’re able even if it means napping.

Sorry, I accidentally posted and wasn’t finished, so I will continue
I'm having a dilemma about not going there for my next appt. on Wed. May 8.
This is a long time off, I wouldn’t worry about this right now. By then you may decide you’re not interested. Sign up for Silver Sneakers if you feel you’ll like and benefit from it.

Is it possible for you to have a conversation with your Primary Care Physician about pain relief? Together you may be able to come up with a plan as to what will work best for you given the issues you’ve described.

I am sorry for the pain and struggles you’re enduring. I do believe it will get better given more time. I understand it’s difficult and you’re disappointed. Struggling with pain, constipation, fatigue and the inability to do what you want is disappointing, but please hang in there, don’t lose hope, come and vent here when you feel the need. Someone will always be around to advise or offer support. Chin up, brighter days are on the way.
@Jammy

You definitely are not the only person to go through all of this. I thought it would be like getting better from an injury. Boy! Was I wrong!

The first three weeks were, what I thought, unbearable. You feel like you’re all alone. If you move your knee, it hurts. If you don’t move it, it hurts. Vibrations from riding in a car irritated it. Your knee wakes you up every three hours. Sleep is something of a distant memory. Many of the medications you take are disappointing in how ineffective they are. Medical professionals keep telling you that your ROM needs to be better. You spend your resting time ruing the start of the next round of pt exercises.

Many of us have been there. Will your knee get better? What really makes the difference is mastering the mental side of recovery with its ups and downs. Believing that you are better today than you were yesterday. The journey you’re on is not a quick trip, but not unusual to be a year long or longer for some.

I still get discomfort, and I am almost a year post-op. If you take your recovery, step-by-step and achieve little goals all the way along, you’ll find before you know it that you have had a hell of a lot of success!

Believe in yourself @Jammy! We do!

The surgery so far has been pretty/very rough the first two and a half months!
Jammy, honestly for me it was horrible for the first 4 months. It’s different for everyone, but it really is a year long recovery. I’m at 6.5 months now and I’m finally really happy I did the surgery! I’m still not back to ‘normal’ yet, whatever that is. But I have an extremely active lifestyle to get back to. I’m in it for the long haul. We all are though. I’m so sorry you were misled about how long and/or difficult this recovery would be. I was too, and judging by others’ stories, this is pretty common. Maybe they’re afraid if we know the truth we’ll never do the surgery? I don’t know, but personally my mental health would have been much better had I had realistic expectations instead of thinking something was wrong with me. Thank goodness for BoneSmart or I wouldn’t have had a clue. Glad you found your way here too :console2:

I’m so sorry you were misled about how long and/or difficult this recovery would be. I was too, and judging by others’ stories, this is pretty common.
Agree with JusticeRider. I think a lot of surgeons are a bit clueless and over-optimistic about the recovery journey.
I am now at 19 weeks really beginning to feel the benefit- I can walk further, faster and straighter than pre-op. But I still get some warmth/soreness/ slight swelling by evening.
My surgeon is a bit of an optimist but if you ask him directly he admits that recovery can take over a year. I will apparently be getting a survey at 6 months from the NJR ( National Joint Registry in the UK) to rate my knee. My surgeon said he thought this was too early and 9 months, or even a year would give a better picture of the eventual outcome.
He told me that it was only when the scar is white that it is fully healed inside.
Please try not to be too discouraged. The early weeks are rotten and it is so hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hi Jammy,
Our rtkrs are 12 days apart. I'm sure I would be as stressed out as you had I not found this forum PRIOR to my first tkr 4 yrs ago.
First, take a few very deep breaths.

You don't need to tell your PT anything. Spend a lot of time for a few days properly elevating and icing your knee. I've been doing that a lot for the last few days.
It can take 3-4 months to feel better. I had a good recovery last time, but at 8 weeks post open my hubs became very sick. My knee ballooned walking the hospital then taking care of him.
By 4 months post op I was fine. You will be, too.
Your expectations of recovery are not what you were led to believe. Now you know the reality and its a rude awakening.
This is your knee your recovery and you will be better. Patience.

As far as your tummy issues
I can't take nsaids, hurts my gut so much. Try tylenol with tramadol. The smooth move tea will definitely make you move LOL. I tried it twice.

PS...driving ugh. I was driving at 5 weeks first tkr..lefty. Almost 8 weeks now and I'm not ready to drive any distance. Its a bummer for sure. But, I did a short, local 10 min drive a few days ago with hubs riding shotgun. He drove back.

Why don't you make an appointment with your PCP. It doesn't sound like you are taking your pain meds correctly to help you get through this. He/she can help you with this. Miralax can give you stomach pain and make you feel sick. I would switch over to senna, a stool softener and stay hydrated. That's what I did. My OS never told me it would take 6-12 months for me to get back to normal. I think if they did no one would get this done! It is much harder to drive if you get your right knee done. Progressively you will get better. One day at a time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Scaredtodeath
Recent bookmarks