Guest viewing is limited

TKR When oh when oh when

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyrica (Pregablin) and gabapentin are in the same drug class, but they are not the same. Each works a bit differently and has different potential side effects. Both are commonly used to address various types of nerve pain. Sometimes patients feel that one works better than the other, so if you are experiencing drowsiness with the dosage of gabapentin you are on, that may improve with the switch. What level of Lyrica did the doctor prescribe for you? Usually you start out at 75mg twice a day.
 
@Jamie - it is 50 mg. I took one and it was helpful for the nerve pain but made me feel woozy all day. What a mess. I think I will stick with gabapentin that I take at night.
 
That is a very mild dose. Sometimes your body has to get used to a medication like this, so what you might get with one pill may not be the effect after a week or so on the prescribed dose. It’s up to you to decide which of the two medications works best for you. Just don’t be mixing them or switching back and forth. Pick one and stay with it to avoid any problems.
 
So sorry that you are suffering like this.
It is really hard when it seems so difficult to figure out what is going on and nothing seems to help.
Have you tried keeping a chart to record pain levels/ possible triggers/activity level? Perhaps you will then see a pattern which may help you or your doctors.
 
@EalingGran
Hi there, I just know it's less of a mess in the morning and gets worse as time goes on. I am having 2 MRI's done (neck and Hip) and X-rays of my back and today started my back traction. I also have an appt to see a hip surgeon. So maybe more will be clear after all that. Though I thought all would be clear after I got the MRI of my back and then had the epidural. It didn't do anything noticeable. It's always like, the next thing will be the ticket, but it's not. I am walking more or trying to, but my gait feels really off.

I hope you are doing well.
 
This is so sad. I'm sorry, Jammy. :console2: I hope you find some answers soon that lead to solutions that bring you physical comfort.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do hope these investigations give some clarity. I do remember having hip pain, knee pain and sciatica and not knowing what was causing what. For me the sciatica was the absolute worst pain. Unfortunately many of us here have multiple osteoarthritic joint issues which all interact. I am just grateful, that in my case my knee surgery/ straightening plus ongoing pilates for my back/ hip keeps my problems under control.
I do hope you can get some understanding of the underlying issues and get a good treatment plan.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Same complaint as March 12. My TKR thigh feels like it's burning most every evening. My calf to ankle feels cold. I saw my neurosurgeon and asked him what this could be. His answer: I don't know. I asked him what the symptoms are of. He said, I don't know. I've had my MRIs, 5 X-rays of my back, and now he tells me he needs to get a total body scan of me, standing. Why bother? Everything's normal. I am going to try to find a new doctor tomorrow. I can't believe this is my life now.
 
I'm sorry. I think you're definitely right to seek additional opinions. Don't give up looking for an answer to what you're feeling. Sometimes new eyes on the case can make a big difference. Wonder what he was looking for with the total body scan. It would have been interesting to know that.
 
Last edited:
@WillB and @Jaycey - I am wondering if I have something going on with my back? I had an MRI of it and it says something about the L-5 narrowing, I don't understand it. My surgeon wanted me to get an epidural there and I did; it didn't do anything. For months I have had weird leg pain (like Will talked about) where it's burning (my thigh area) and my calf/feet area gets cold, and my right hip is killing me. Of course the MRI of my hip is "normal." (But the doctor said that area's not my hip but my back.) Because of this burning feeling in my thigh, I'm seeing a neurosurgeon. He prescribed Lyrica which I take 3 times a day because I'm always in pain with my leg or my hip, er, back. Whatever, it aches most the day and is worse at night. I wish I could get a surgery instead of taking all these pills, but no one knows what to do with me. I did get a cortisone injection in my hip (back?) in January and it did absolutely nothing. This whole thing has been a nightmare. I didn't have any of this before I had my TKR. I stopped seeing my TKR surgeon as it appears I am now dealing with other new ailments and doctors. I am seeing neurosurgeon #2 on the 4th, doctor #1 was not helpful and almost a two hour wait for ten minutes. Next!
 
I made a copy of your recent post in the “Other Joints” forum and posted it here in your knee recovery thread, (so it’s in both places now) as it’s is an important piece of your current history of finding answers for all your issues. My heart goes out to you. :console2: It is so discouraging when we know how we feel, but none of the tests can prove it. I have experienced that with my PKR.

Have you considered contacting the Mayo Clinic in Florida?

Another option could be HSS, in NY, they might do a tele-health appointment.

Have you seen a neurosurgeon, rather than “just” a neurologist?

I know how frustrating it is to keep making appointments for additional opinions, the stress, the nervousness, the hope, that an answer will be found, only to be disappointed, again. Hopefully there truly is an answer for you in your future! :console2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Really feel for you with this ongoing pain. I do hope you can find some answers and relief. I think @Jockette is right that you should seek out the most expert clinics available. Good luck!
 
The L5 controls mostly everything from the waist down. Stenosis, or compression, is real and likely the culprit for your weird feelings. In my case, a laminectomy improved the situation considerably.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here I am 15 months after a LTKR and the only thing that continues to give me issues is this tightness across my lower quad. I understand it has to do with the quad tendon. I surely hope its not permanent.

My right knee, which has mild osteoarthritis, has a bilateral meniscus tear and a strained MCL…was going to get the series of 3 gel injections but in all honestly the knee isn’t feeling too bad. Probably going to cancel the appts. A patial or, God forbid a total, may be down the road…hang in there everyone!!
 
Hey all, it's Jammy! I am back on Bonesmart but started a new name--I thought this thread was closed. I have a lot to say but gee I wasn't paying to be on this site in the old days. Do I just keep writing here? I basically live on SS so a monthly payment isn't ideal.
 
@Jammy2 … your BoneSmart account was removed at your request. So you are starting all over on BoneSmart as a brand new member. You cannot continue to post on this thread and I should have closed it. I will do so now. When you ask to be removed, we delete all your personal information and history. So it’s basically like you were never a member here. It’s why we recommend that people not ask to remove their accounts when they don’t want to post any longer. If you come back it’s like you were never a member here.

In January we implemented a new 2-tier membership program - Basic Member and Insiders Club. You are currently a Basic Member and that does change the way you are able to interact on the forum from when you were here before. You can use our search tools to find threads (like you did with this one) that interest you and read them. You can make on-topic posts on existing threads.

But things related to any upcoming surgeries or concerns about your past surgeries like asking questions, addressing concerns, journaling your recovery, reading detailed articles in our BoneSmart Library, and getting one-on-one personal guidance from our experienced staff are now premium services available only to our Insiders Club members. We offer several options for the Insiders Club subscriptions and I hope one of them will suit your needs. I suggest you take a look at our Guidelines for Posting and Membership Page to get more details. Please send me a Direct Message (DM) if you have any questions. I’m happy to explain how the forum works now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom