Revision THR What all does this involve?

@Josephine
I think the pain is at its worst today. From what I am seeing on google it seems that if you have a significant leg length discrepancy your shoe needs to be built up gradually a little at a time. I wasnt told this and just went in and had it all done at one time. UGH!

I am wondering should I be resting my leg? Keeping heat or ice on it? Taking it easy for a few days? Or should I press on and walk on it as much as possible and force my muscles to get use to the new way of walking? I am literally using my walker again it is so bad. Im so depressed. I was so excited about getting my new shoe and walking even. :(
 
@Josephine

I couldnt take it any longer. I went to my Ortho hospitals er. I have a hip fracture and will need surgery. UGH!!!
 
Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry to hear this. But I'm thankful you went in and had it checked so it can get fixed immediately. Where is the fracture?
 
Wow with reading your post. I am so sorry. I know sometimes the pain messes with us.

I hope your able to why your hip fixed. Sugury is a bummer but in the end you will be able to live life the way you want to before you got down.

Xxx prayers for you.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
I too will pray for you. What about a cleanse. I have seen something about it on TV, they put their feet in a bath and it drew out the metals.
 
@Josephine no falls or Osteo. You are not even going to believe this. Like I said I went to the ER, op til the point my xrays came back I was allowed to go to restroom on my own with walker. After xray I was told to call for bed pan & not get up. There was even talk that I might have to have surgery that night.

After the on call OS looked at my xray it was decided that I was not at imminent risk of dislocating and could go home, remain non weight bearing, and call me OS the next morning to see about surgery. I call my OS & am told by his nurse he is on vacation. She asked if I fell? I said no. This pain started a couple of days after getting the rebuilt shoe. I told her ER Doc felt that the shoe caused this. She laughed & said she had never heard of a shoe causing a fracture. She told me she would try to find my xrays & would call me back.

She called back and said she called my Dr. He remembered my hips without even having to see my file. He said he highly doubted that this was anything new. He explained that I have always had a small crack but I guess it has remained stable and he is not worried about it. I do see him on a pretty regular basis though. He keeps a close eye on this hip.

He told her to have his partner compare the ER xray and the ones done in Feb. His partner did and said there has been no change since Feb. I said then what is this terrible pain? She said most likely deep muscular pain from shoe. Dr wants to see me next week. She said there is a slight chance I have an infection in the joint but she highly doubts it. She told me to continue to stay off it and see how I feel. I have kept weight off it since Sun & I am noticing improvement.

My OS said he can see why another Dr would think I had a fracture, not knowing this is my normal. They almost took me into emergency surgery! How do you like those apples!
 
Well, isn't that some story! And I can quite see why the doctor thought you had a fracture. Good job he opted for more conservative treatment and not surgery. But yes, such an adaptation as your shoe can cause severe muscle strain, it being not only higher but heavy too. I think maybe they should have adapted you in stages.
 
@Josephine
I can stand to put weight on the leg now. Its a little weak but no pain. What is still very painful is moving that leg from side to side. Getting in & out of car, in & out of bed, on my bath chair etc. That hurts just as bad when I first had any of my surgeries. In fact it feels just like that pain. The pain is on the side of my hip radiating towards the back of my buttock. I am encouraged that I'm no longer hurting when I bear weight. Surely if there were any loosening I wouldn't be able to do that right?

I can't be too relieved with the xrays not changing. The entire time I was complaining with my original MOM hips I was told your xrays look great. After they decided to do blood work and they showed elevated levels so they did an MRI which showed some fluid but still not the damage he discovered in the operating room. So, I think everyone can see why I am not putting much faith in these xrays. All I know is that I hurt! Of course the past was with a different OS. I now have a new one. In fact @Jamie has recommended him on this board.
 
Surely if there were any loosening I wouldn't be able to do that right?
I would say so.
The pain is on the side of my hip radiating towards the back of my buttock
Is it anything like this?

[Bonesmart.org] What all does this involve?
 
I too will pray for you. What about a cleanse. I have seen something about it on TV, they put their feet in a bath and it drew out the metals.
Soaking one's feet is an excellent stress reliever, but there is no scientific evidence that any toxins are removed from the body this way. If you do a little research into this type of "cleanse," you'll see that's it's just a scam.
 
@Josephine that pretty much looks like what I'm feeling only it doesn't run down my leg at all.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Angie, you don't need to quote a post every time to reply to it unless there's something specific you want to refer to like Jamie and I have. Read this How to quote a post. There is a neat way in there to just quote snippets of posts if you really need to.

That condition is called a Piriformis syndrome and is a regular pain in the butt! See if any of the stretches described help at all.
 
I hope I'm doing this right. I didnt know I was posting wrong before. My pain has not quit so my OS ordered a CT scan. I waited for 2 weeks & finally called him. They said my local hosp hadnt sent them the scan. UGH! So nurse finally called me today. She said that she was only calling me because I had waited so long. She said my xrays are so weird and hard to read because so much was done with my hip with the reconstructive cage and bone grafting. She said that it does appear that my acetabulum bone has shifted and is protruding into my pelvis. The Dr wants to compare it to my last xray to see if there is any difference. She is not sure that this isnt my normal. He wont be in to see this till tomorrow. I am growing a little weary with hearing about my normal. I'll tell ya what isnt normal! It is this pain!

So there is no doubt in my mind he will see a diff. Something is causing this pain. Now I get to worry about dislocating while they try yo figure this thing out. I only hurt when I squat down to sit and back up or slide from side to side in bed, car, shower chair. If we have to do surgery will it most likely be pretty simple? Will it just be a matter of putting everything back in place and better stabilizing it? It won't be a whole revision will it?
@Josephine
 
Jo should be along soon to respond. If for some reason you don't hear from her, give her another tag. Sometimes the tags don't seem to come through.
 
Hi Angie,

I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you lost your beloved mother last year. I'm sure that was very traumatic and it sounds like you are continuing to have a very difficult year since then. I hope that you have some sort of support system while you are dealing with this hip stuff, since your mom is gone and she was such a help in the past. {{{hugs}}} from another "orphan."

I didn't read back through your whole thread so I can't remember if you had to deal with the shoe lifts in the past. I was just thinking that maybe your current shoe lift is just too much right now. I used a lift for a while before my surgery and once thought I'd be clever and make it higher to see if it helped my back -- that was a waste of money, it didn't work out well but I was able to correct back to my usual lift. So, I wonder if you can strip down the lift some so it's not so heavy and not so tall and maybe that will help eliminate some of the pain in the socket that you are experiencing??

I sure hope you don't need another surgery and I hear you on having that "unique normal…" :umm:
Take care,
Cardie
 
@Josephine

Nurse called. Dr said my cup is loose. I need surgery & more bone grafting. I asked if it would be the ordeal it was last time? Will I have to be 7 weeks NWB? Will it be a year before I can walk without a stinking cane? She said we just won't know till we get in there. Ugh! I have a feeling I am just going to have surgeries every couple of years for the rest of my life!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom