Revision THR What all does this involve?

I like that nurse! She sounds very sensible and I'm glad you have a plan.

I'm not sure how people are notified about recalls. Jamie might know about that.
 
The action taken on any recalls depends on the assigned level of the recall (Class I, II or III). If the recall is considered a risk to patients, surgeons will receive a notice about the product. Depending on the level, they may be instructed to notify patients. But many times they are not given that direction. It is always best to be a bit proactive in these matters if you are concerned. Ask questions, do research, and find out information for yourself. Just be aware that there is a TON of bad information and scare stuff out on the internet. So, deal ONLY with facts and reputable information resources. Please feel free to ask questions here. Josephine is VERY familiar with the metal on metal issue.
 
She said everything you all did. :)
:yes!:
She said that I had Johnson & Johnson DePuy SROM in part of the hip & a Pinnacle ball I believe.
DePuy stem is okay. But you need to know what material the ball and the cup are. There are 4 elements with the femoral head and the insert are the crucial bits and come a variety of materials.

[Bonesmart.org] What all does this involve?


You need to find out exactly what the femoral head (ball) and insert (cup) are made of. Whether they are under recall or not is immaterial. If you have MoM, you need to be under constant surveillance. They are no longer used, by the way.
 
@Angie68 What ever happened with your piriformis issue. I may be having that too, and I would like to know what you did to make it better or is it still bothering you?

Thanks.

Milli
 
My piriformis/tendonitis whatever the heck was going on has resolved. I really just rested my leg & did very little. I am still walking with a cane tho. :( I am having a surgical procedure next week. It is not Ortho related. I really need to walk after this procedure to prevent blood clots so I havent really been pushing my legs as far as exercises at all. After this is over Im going to start some gentle exercises & see how I tolerate it. Thanks for asking!
 
Hi Angie...symptoms lead to a diagonosis...which could lead to a revision. If that happens, it will likely find you more relief than you can imagine. Almost everything you read on-line about revisions makes you apprehensive.
I'm almost seven weeks post op revision after only 9 months from a failed hemiarthroplasty.
I feel SO much better and this surgery was so different in many ways....all good. Of course, no one wants to have their leg split open again, but if it happens, you will be so prepared for the outcome. My OS made a memorable comment...."I'm so glad to get that piece of junk out of you!"
Good luck!
 
Hi @Angie68 I've just read through your thread and am inspired bu your courage and straight forward attitude to all your problems.

I'm so sorry you are having more unrelated surgery and wish you all the best

I am facing a possible 2 stage revision due to infection and am awaiting my appt later this month to find out my future.

I hope you continue to improve ....
 
I just read your thread. I hope you're doing better. I am not new to the forum but haven't checked in for quite awhile. I had bilateral replacements in June, 2011 and was notified of recalls in Sept. 2012. Long story, but I had the first revision, which included an osteotomy, last July 29, 2013. I just had my second revision 10 days ago. It seems to be much harder than the first one even though My OS said what he found inside was very similar. I still cannot get in and out of bed by myself, can't sit in a chair for more than 5 minutes or so due to the pain. My OS is not cooperative with pain management so I am in a lot of pain. You inspire me to keep on trying to stay positive. I hope your surgery went well and you are feeling better.
 
@emjayp, unfortunately, no two hips are alike--so they don't recover the same. Have you thought of talking with your family doc about pain meds? You really do need to have your pain well managed for the best possible recovery.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What exceptionally bad luck and how frustrating @emjayp ...do try and get your pain covered ....it makes things more bearable

I would love to read your story....do you have a thread somewhere?
 
@emjayp - I am sorry you are having such a bad time - do keep us updated - hugs from OZ
 
Thanks for asking about me. Ugh! I am still on a cane. Dr felt that everything was fine at my last appt in Feb. He said that I have to stop comparing this surgery to everyone else's replacement. Told me that July 1st 2013 was a day he hopes to never repeat. He said it took him forever to figure out what to do with me. I can tell that each week I get very slightly better. It is just moving soooo slow. At least Im not regressing I guess.
 
I'm glad you're progressing, even if it's not as fast as you'd like. Has your pain resolved? Are you doing PT?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Sorry to hear its been a bit rough and slow xxx
 
I tried to post in my old thread but it was locked & wouldn't let me. I have not been here in a year and for that I am sorry. I very suddenly and unexpectedly lost my precious 64 yr old Mother May 13, 2014. This is the Mother I bragged about being in better health than me. She helped nurse me back from many operations. Needless to say I was devastated and my world came crashing down around me. For the first time in my life I didn't pay bills or care about squat. I won't bore you with the details but it has been one devastation after another for the past year. I am having a really tough time now & need some input. My left revision was a real tough one. My Ortho said it was a day he hopes to never repeat. I had to have a reconstructive cage and cadaver bones used. We have recently decided that due to over an inch leg discrepancy I either needed more surgery or a built up shoe. I opted for the dang shoe. I got the shoe last week and ever since I have been in terrible pain. I'm talking pain like I am a few days out from surgery. Walking is challenging but honestly the worst is night time. I am literally having to put good leg under bad to lift into bed. It is excruciating to roll over at night. Just like I was post op. I am taking 800 mgs of ibuprofen every 6 hrs to get thru the day. I am assuming it is the new shoe and using muscles that I havent in a long time? Dr did tell me that my muscles are still terribly weak which is to be expected with the major surgery and complications I had. I tried PT early on which just set me back. Am I right in thinking I need to get use to this shoe? There is no way a built up shoe could have caused any damage to joint right?
@Josephine
 
Am I right in thinking I need to get use to this shoe?
Yes, in my experience altering your gait or leg length really can cause discomfort. Things must tilt back in balance. It can take awhile to adjust. Are you taking anything for the pain?
There is no way a built up shoe could have caused any damage to joint right?
No my friend, just your whole body adjusting to a new way of carrying yourself.
 
I am taking 800mgs of ibuprofen every 6hrs. It helps but it still smarts. It's hard to believe a shoe can cause this much pain!
 
I tried to post in my old thread but it was locked & wouldn't let me.
Well no longer! And I moved you new thread into it as well!
I am taking 800mgs of ibuprofen every 6hrs to get through the day.
You know, I could scream every time I hear that! It's those darned tv ads and everybody believes them! I couldn't believe it when I heard that scene out of "What do women want" when Mel Gibson asked his female colleague if she didn't fake a headache to avoid her husband's amorous advances by saying "Not tonight dear - I need an Advil"!!!! So let me say this one more time - ibuprofen is a rubbish pain killer! You'd be much better off using Tylenol at 1,000mg 3-4 times a day. By comparison and gram for gram, ibuprofen's pain killing properties are about 40% that of Tylenol. You try and see if I'm not right!
I am assuming it is the new shoe and using muscles that I havent in a long time? Am I right in thinking I need to get use to this shoe? There is no way a built up shoe could have caused any damage to joint right?
Not the joint but it could cause inflammatory problems all over the hip and thigh. Is such a shoe very heavy these days? Haven't been in close contact with one for years!

What sort of surgery is your surgeon suggesting as an alternative?
 
@Josephine I will switch to Tylenol. Thanks. He said something about repositioning and moving the joint down to add length. Although at the time he said that he had a hard time getting anything to take hold where he really wanted it to.
 
My left revision was a real tough one. My Ortho said it was a day he hopes to never repeat. I had to have a reconstructive cage and cadaver bones used. We have recently decided that due to over an inch leg discrepancy I either needed more surgery or a built up shoe.
He said something about repositioning and moving the joint down to add length. Although at the time he said that he had a hard time getting anything to take hold where he really wanted it to.
I quoted these two posts as they tell me such a lot about your last surgery. It's quite clear he wouldn't view a repeat with any great enthusiasm and I can't say I blame him!

I did ask if the shoe was very heavy but I guess you missed that! So assuming it is quite a bit heavier than a normal shoe, I can only urge you to try and get acclimatised to it which you will do in time and as your muscles get beefed up!

Your only other alternative is to find a really 'cutting edge' revision surgeon who do these kinds of cases all day. There are some around but few and far between. It depends how far you are willing to travel. There is broken link removed: https://www.dfwsarcoma.com/ in Plano TX. He is the 'go-to' person for these kinds of issues. I understand he will look at your records and xrays and give you his opinion by phone or email if you can't travel to see him. Perhaps you might consider contacting him and asking for his opinion.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom