Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR What all does this involve?

Oh no! Oh Angie,I can't tell you how sad I am for you. That is definitely NOT fair.
 
Hi Angie
Sorry to hear your news - so unfair. NWB sounds like nothing much, so easy to say, just a minor irritant until it affects YOU. This NWB is doing my head in after two weeks, that plus elevating. I feel so unhealthy being so inactive, not much fun. So I wish you all the very best possible good fortune, in your difficult circumstances.
 
Angie - so sad you're having to go through all this. :console2:
Hope your OS is able to resolve it with a straightforward solution that leads to a permanent recovery this time for you.
 
@Josephine
I had my surgery last Wed (Sept 9). My OS told my family he didn't see how I walking on the hip. It was a mess with lots of broken stuff. He was very happy with the results of this surgery. He said last time there was so much bone damage he really didn't know what to do with me. It was like nailing butter to mud. I have since grown new bone and he was able to get a tight, secure hold. He told them that I should feel a difference right away. I def do feel the diferencef! I have incision pain but inside everything is so much better. I was in so much pain before that this is nothing. The day after surgery PT came in & I walked double the amount he wanted me to. He said there was no reason to keep me any longer so I went home 2 days post op. I do have to be NWB for 6 weeks which is my norm. Oh yeah! OS was also able to do some leg lengthening. All my little piggies are even and lined up now. For the first time in many years I am very excited and looking forward to the future.
 
I've got my fingers crossed that this will be the last time they have to go into fix one of your hips!! You've been through a lot.

Take it slow and easy with your recovery,
Cardie
 
I had my surgery last Wed (Sept 9). My OS told my family he didn't see how I walking on the hip.
I had one of these and it's no fun! Well done - welcome to the other side. I'll post your official articles here but I am sure you know the drill. Easy does it - you are on your way!
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
@Josephine

I am still doing great! Just curious about something. Every other time I have been NWB I have been told to toe touch with op leg. This time my pt instructed me to flat foot with no weight on op leg. What is the difference? I am having a very hard time with this because I am just use to doing the toe touch. My husband keeps reminding me that I was told to walk flat footed. Is this a huge deal? The main thing is there is no weight on that leg right?
 
Every other time I have been NWB I have been told to toe touch with op leg. This time my pt instructed me to flat foot with no weight on op leg. What is the difference?
I have absolutely no idea!
The main thing is there is no weight on that leg right?
Exactly. And I think that trying to put your foot flat but with no weight can cause tendinitis in numerous places. I would check that with your surgeon for accuracy.
 
@Josephine
Im a little over 4 weeks out and doing great! I have zero pain! None! I hurt so bad before that this is nothing. I do have some incision pain and a little zapping of the nerves here & there but no biggie. One thing I have noticed this time that is bothering me a little is grinding. This is strange & hard to describe. I can hear and feel a grinding vibration in my ears. Like it kinda rattles my ear drums. I am hoping this is ok & normal since I have absolutely no pain. I actually feel so good that I almost forget and take off walking on this darn thing. I have another 11 days of NWB!!!
 
"Grinding in your ears" is tinnitus! (just kidding!) I take it the grinding is in your hip, yes?
 
Just checking - I think you'll find that resolves as time passes.
 
@Josephine
My 6 week appt was today. I didn't get good news but according to my OS it's not terrible. My X-ray shows I'm dislocated. My ball is out of place. I have always heard that is excruciating. Why am I not in pain? He suspects it might have happened in hosp while I was still numb. I don't think so cause my legs were even after I got home. They are no longer even. He wants to get me in within a week & pop it back into place while I'm asleep. If it won't go in or doesn't feel secure he will make a small incision & replace the ball, cup or both. Either way I will be able to walk on it right after. He said everything else is healed up & looks really good.

So I'm torn on what I want the outcome to be next week. I have always heard once you dislocate you are more prone to keep doing it. I don't really want another incision but don't know that I can rest easy with just popping it back in. Thoughts?
 
Well you've not got much choice, have you, as it all depends upon what he finds. I think what he's said sounds pretty sensible.
 
@Josephine

No I have no choice. Jo do you think I have any chance that if he pops it into place of it not dislocating again? It seems that I've not read or heard of much success after a dislocation. Will I ever live a normal life?
 
Well, the general opinion as cited in various medical articles is that dislocations are most often as a result of a poorly situated cup or stem but mostly the cup. So I'm not actually too excited about his idea of just changing the ball.

On second thoughts, you could tell him just to do a reduction and you'll think about the revision.
Then get yourself a couple or three other opinions.
 
@Angie68 I'm with Josephine, I'd get a second opinion. I would do it at 68 and if I was 46 I might get two! Good luck on resolving the issue I'm sending you healing vibes.
 
Back
Top Bottom