Hip Infection* Westy's Hip Recovery Thread

Hello Hipster Friends,
I've been MIA for a while. I'm just going along doing what the Doc's ordered. I have a few weeks left on my once a week IV antibiotic, and 3 weeks left on the daily IV antibiotic. My pain level has subsided a few ticks, but it's still painful enough to be using narcotic pain killer, daily. I don't know where I left off, but they discovered I have a fractured femur upon the first post op X-rays. It's not a big fracture, but it's enough to cause a fair deal of pain. The good news is, the last X-Ray is showing signs of calcifying in the fracture, which means it's healing, albeit slowly.

The main area of pain is way up high in the left upper groin. I thought for sure something was fractured up in that region, the Acetabulum in particular. The X-Rays don't agree, and doc says although he had a heck of time getting that part of the implant out during the explant, it came out very cleanly. I'm guessing the pain could just be due to all the work he did up there. Or, perhaps, I still have some infection in the region. My temps are normal, and my blood counts are trending nicely in the proper direction.

I'm unable to walk at all without the walker, which stinks. that said, I am getting around a little better today compared to 3 weeks ago. This has been a terrible experience all around. I'm going for a metal allergy test some time next week. I want to make sure I'm not allergic to anything that might be in these implants. My other issue is this pesky incision. While the drainage is down by a solid 90%, I am still getting some on a daily basis. Doc chose to leave the sutures in in order to help the incision. I had the explant on 2-26, and the sutures are supposed to come out this week. We'll see what happens.
If all goes well, and the infection is all clear, they'll probably attempt the revision around the end of May.

My main concern now is, with Coronavirus being such a huge issue, will they even be able to perform a surgery of this type, or will the hospital be too slammed with Corona patients? I certainly understand that the Corona cases take priority over my revision, but it is frustrating that I'm going through this just as the biggest pandemic of our life hits.

That's my update y'all. Sorry I've been absent, I'll try to be more on top of this thread as things happen.

Hope all are well, staying safe, and following guidelines for Corona safety.

Best

Westy

@Westy so good to hear from you, thank you for updating us. Sorry to hear about the femur fracture but it's good that it's showing signs of healing. Keeping fingers crossed that sutures can come out this week and drainage comes to an end. :fingersx: :praying:

Temps are good, blood counts moving in the right direction and while you're not thrilled to be on the walker you are seeing improvement.

Continuing to keep you in my thoughts and prayers, sending tons of good healing mojo your way! Hoping that this virus clears out soon and we can get everyone the surgeries they need. :friends:

You've been walking a tough road @Westy but you seem to be doing so with a pretty positive attitude. Hang in there, hopefully they get a handle on the Wuhan flu soon and surgeries can be scheduled again.

Hi @Westy :wave:
I'm sorry to hear about the femer fracture but glad it seems to be healing and hope all stays on track.
I certainly understand how anxious you must be to have this coinciding with this pandemic.:nah:
I am hoping all will level off soon so that you can get this hip squared away.
I truly do.
Please continue to let us know how you are and we will continue to send all our well wishes...

Wonderful to hear from you, Westy!
Thanks for taking the time to update us. I wish your pain was better managed. I’m sorry you’re struggling with that. Wonder if icing that pain in your groin would help? It’s worth a try. It’s good to hear your temp remains normal and that your blood results are showing promise. Try not to worry about surgery with the Corona virus and take one step at a time, I understand easier said than done, but feel confident that the professionals have your best interest in mind and will advise accordIy.

I wish you comfort and speedy relief from pain.
Stay strong, well and connected. We’re here for you always. :)
@Westy

Hi @Westy So glad to see your update and to read some good news in it!
Well, at least about your regular temps and blood counts.. not so much about the fracture!
I agree with Layla, maybe try to ice that groin area as much as you can?

You have been more than patient with all of this.. God bless you!

I hope and pray that when your body has healed and you are ready for the revision, that it won't be delayed.. :SUNsmile:

I don't know @Westy you keep this up you'll have to change your name to Lucky. After all you've been through I feel you'll see the humor in that. Hope the fracture heals well and it sounds like the infection is coming under control. Keep hanging in there!

One month today, Westy! :wave:
Wishing you a peaceful day and weekend.
Take care, be safe and stay well. We’re here for you whenever you need us.
@Westy

Good evening everyone,

Thanks so much for all the well wishes, great comments, and positive vibes. It really helps. I had my FINAL weekly infusion of Dalvance this morning at the clinic. My incision has stopped draining completely and has been bone dry for 3 or 4 days now. Blood counts are looking good. Tomorrow, i have the home health care nurse coming to change my PICC line dressing and draw blood for my weekly labs. After that, barring any complications, I'm not due back to the OS until April 8th, (I think)

If memory serves, I still have either week or two left of the daily Invanz IV infusions. I'm actually a little bit worried about what will happen when I'm totally off the IV antibiotics. I'm praying that an infection doesn't come back. The spacer, as you know is loaded up with time released antibiotics, so we'll see. My main concern is that i still have a fair amount of pain in the groin. That said, it is getting a bit better and is less intense.

The fact that all this is going on in the middle of our pandemic is kind of blowing my mind too. Resources at the hospital are spread thin, so I'm certain my revision will be put on the back burner so that the hospital staff and doc's can take care of the Covid patients, as they are clearly the priority. I've waited this long, what's a few more months or longer? My heart is aching for all these Covid patients. It's the scariest thing I've ever seen in my life. I can't believe the amount of courage our doctor's, nurse's and hospital staff are displaying in these very tough times. I pray for them every night. What an amazing group of individuals. Heck, even the folks that are working at the grocery stores, gas stations, etc. etc. I tip my hat to every one of them.

I hope all my hipster pals here are staying safe and healthy. We're trying to do everything possible to stay healthy. Today I wore gloves and a mask to the clinic for my infusion. I'm washing my hands a lot more than i usually do, and all the other stuff. Just wanted to drop by to say thanks for everything from y'all. I'll be back when i have something to report, hopefully, good news.

Best regards

Westy

:wave: Westy
Was happy to see an update as you've been on my mind. This virus certainly has everything turned topsy turvy and I too, am praying for everyone affected along with those who are doing what they can you provide medical care and basic needs.

My incision has stopped draining completely and has been bone dry for 3 or 4 days now. Blood counts are looking good
:yes!:. This sounds so encouraging!!!
Stay safe and well...hope you can get some sunshine...Happy Monday.:SUNsmile:

Hello and Happy Monday,
Thanks for stopping by, Westy. It’s always nice to hear from you and receive an update.
Such wonderful news on your incision and blood results looking good. I’ll pray along side you, Westy, that the infection doesn’t return, that you are protected, comforted, at peace and that you are confident in God’s timing in your regard, in the midst of this pandemic.
You will get through this and we‘ll continue to be there for you whenever you need us.
Take care, be safe, stay well. :)
@Westy

Happy to see you pop in with an update @Westy! Sounds like you have a couple of good things going on. Will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers and send tons of healing vibes your way!

Great update..! You aren't alone with your concerns and sadness about the C-19. There are days when it's so overwhelming.

Your numbers and healthy response lately are so promising.. and well deserved.
Westy! You are the Besty! :heehee:

Glad to read that your incision has stopped draining @Westy Got tears in my eyes reading of your prayers for others during these extraordinary times. Hoping prayers lift you and that your spacer keeps you infection free. Peace and healing.

We sympathize with the 'spot' you are in and the extra anxiety caused by the ongoing medical crisis.
We are keeping the faith...you keep the faith, too.:friends:

So great to hear you are doing well and the incision is bone dry now!!
Things are so crazy now! Glad you got your spacer done before the virus outbreak!
Wishing you SUPER BIG well wishes!!

Good Afternoon to all my hippie friends,

I post today, the latest update in my long tale of woe. :) I had my last and final visit with my original OS this morning. He looked at my now completely dry incision ( it is one ugly looking beast of an incision after 4 surgeries through the same incision) and proclaimed it was looking good. There is a tad of redness at the top of it, but he said it's nothing to worry about. We also discussed the fact that I'm still in enough pain in the very upper left groin that I'm taking a few Norco's per day. He said with all the work he did in that area, the pain would most likely be there until I have the revision. He went on to explain that the spacer is not like the actual hip replacement, and only meant to stabilize the region until a revision can be done. He discharged me, and handed me off to his associate who does the revisions.

I won't be seeing the new surgeon until late April. That appointment with the new surgeon will be to discuss how he intends to go about the revision. I've met with him once already, and then had an unofficial visit from him while in the hospital last time. He uses the anterior approach, and spent an extra year in med school to learn just revision surgery. He's a young guy, and quite a character, but smart as heck. He also get glowing reviews.

Due to Covid-19, they aren't doing any non emergency surgeries prior to May 4th at the earliest. My original OS told me, I can go months with the spacer if need be, but that the hospital may make an exception for my surgery if they feel the revision has to happen sooner. Frankly, I'd rather live in a pain for a few extra months, and make sure that all the COVID patients are getting what they need in the way of beds, equipment, care givers, etc.,etc. They're clearly the priority and my heart aches for them.

On a bright note, my OS also told me, while they've had a fair number of COVID cases and in hospital patients, the death toll is extremely low in our hospital. So, we'll see what the new surgeon says in the latter part of this month.

When I got home I had an E-Visit with my ID doctor. I have 3 days left on the daily IV antibiotic, and she's ordered my PICC line to be taken out this coming Friday. WooHoo!!!! The numbers are all looking good and trending beautifully. We have yet to see the results from yesterday's blood draw, so fingers crossed, they are still trending and I'm out of the of the woods.

The ID doc wants me to go 4 to 6 weeks with no antibiotics, except those that are packed into the spacer to see how my body reacts. We'll do a blood draw in a month to double check everything, and if they're still good numbers, then we'll be good to go on the revision, once the hospital clears the OR's for elective surgeries again.

Oh and I almost forgot, The revision surgeon may draw some fluid from the region to check for any bacteria as a precaution, according to the original OS. He may also take some tissue samples when I'm on the table for immediate bacterial testing, prior to proceeding with the revision. Again, this is according to my original OS.

I should probably feel way more upbeat than I do, based on everything I heard from my docs today. I guess the groin pain is the only thing that is keeping me from feeling more positive about today's consultations. I'm an optimist, but also a realist, and this hasn't been a picnic. I'm still on a walker, but i can do several steps with just a cane now.

Anyway, I hope you're all staying safe and healthy in these difficult days. As you know, I appreciate all of you so very much. You've gotten me through this rough period with your kind words, thoughts, and advice. the sharing of your own stories has helped me as well. It'll be a few weeks, but once I have more to report, I'll be back here, and hopefully the news will be good.

Thanks you all for reading, stay healthy everyone

Westy

Thank you for the update, @Westy . It all sounds positive.
Here's hoping that your final revision doesn't have to be postponed for too long. Personally, I wouldn't want to be in a hospital while they had any Coronavirus patients at all.

I should probably feel way more upbeat than I do, based on everything I heard from my docs today. I guess the groin pain is the only thing that is keeping me from feeling more positive about today's consultations.
I can understand why you're not feeling more upbeat yet. You've had a long, hard haul to get to where you are now, and you still have the possibility of having to wait a bit longer, while you're still in pain. You're getting close to the end of this ordeal, so hang in there - it's going to be worth it in the end.

Hello Westy, Always good to hear from you, thanks for the update!
It’s great news to read your incision is dry and it’s appearance passed your OS’s inspection. :yay: I’m sorry you’re still suffering pain and may have to endure it for some time. Hopefully it calms to a dull roar at least.

It seems you like the revision surgeon and feel confident in his ability which hopefully gives you peace and the assurance you’re in good hands.

How encouraging that your blood numbers continue to be favorable. Best wishes that yesterday’s bloods are found to be in the desired range also.

I‘m sorry you’re not feeling very upbeat these days, it’s certainly understandable given all you’ve been through and the fact that you’re still dealing with pain. I know it’s not much consolation but with each new day, you’re one day closer to getting this right.
Prayers for your comfort and peace in the days and weeks to come. :prayer: Take care, stay well.
@Westy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom