Hip Infection* Westy's Hip Recovery Thread

Hello Hippie Friends,

I know I've been absent for a while. I hope you're all doing well and getting through these strange times we're living through right now without any issues. I am due to see the OS for the 3rd post op visit this week. He was very blunt when he said 6 to 12 months recovery, and oh boy, he wasn't kidding. I still can't walk more than 2 blocks without pretty intense pain and stiffness. We like to take out new puppy out for walks, but I have to limit how far I can go, and that really stinks. The pain over the last week, for whatever reason has been amped up. It's kind of all over the thigh and in the hip. I was and am concerned that it's infected again, but my latest blood work show otherwise. The OS did say "the amount of damage to the bones, muscles, and tendons from the past infection was major and it was a mess in there" Soooooo, I got that going for me.
I'm usually a pretty calm, happy, and content guy. This last week I've been a cranky old man, who is mentally exhausted from the pain. This whole deal started in June of 2019. I'm still on a low dose of Norco, 2 x 5/325 per day as needed. For a while there, I was Norco free and managing the pain with good ole Tylenol. Sadly, this last week has me back on the Norco, which really helps. However, I hate having to take these dang things.
At this point, I'm pretty much getting my mind use to the idea that I'll never walk normally again and most likely be in and out of hip and thigh pain for the duration of my life. It's just the way the cards played out for me. I have good days and bad days, and that's life. I just keep on truckin, and let the powers that be (you know, the higher power) decide how this will play out. I'm just along for the ride at this point.
On a much brighter note, out new puppy, a Newfie, named Tank, is now 16 weeks old and about as awesome of a dog as we've ever had. He's our 4th Newfie, and easily, the smartest, best looking, and a real serious handful at times. LOL He can be a sweet angel boy, or a demonic little punk. (Teething is the root of his demonic moments) He's turned our house into a home again, and he makes the rough days just a bunch better for me.
Again, hope everyone is well. I only post to this forum from my PC which is in my man cave aka the basement. Since June 24th, when I was released from the hospital, this might be my 6th time down here. I've been practically living outdoors, because i missed it so much over the last year plus.

Best regards and peace to all

Westy

PS...a pic of the little beast from a week or so back....yeah just standing on a table to see what we would do. My wife said, the heck with it, if he wants to stay up there, let him. LOL
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Westy's Hip Recovery Thread
    trouble.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 280
Westy,
Sorry to hear you have continued pain, stay on top of your hip and let your OS know of any changes.
Tank looks like he is going to keep you busy and entertained.
 
Give it time for healing. It takes months to regain leg strength .Just walk and each day will be different. Get new shoes... try to practice heel to toe walking. The old shoes have the old gait ... it makes a big difference.
What helped me a great deal was the anti gravity tread mill in PT. Each day my own weight is added slowly as the machine holds up your weight for better balance , coordination and gait to adjust and regulate endurance, mobility and strength. Eventually adds your total weight to walk as improvement progresses.
Sending healing blessings your way.
 
:wave:Cranky and Tank...
Now that sounds like a movie title:heehee:
You certainly have a right to be cranky sometimes, but I'm glad you have Tank for company and a distraction...he looks awesome and mischevious.:) :-) (:
Strange times indeed.
Adversity often brings out the best and worst in people, and unfortunately the worst seems to be at the forefront so often these days.:blackcloud:
Certainly don't blame you for living outdoors...I stay out of the house on the weekends as much as possible.
I'm sorry you have to use your Norco again, but I'm certain you need a reprieve from intense pain so we do what we gotta sometimes.
I hope things settle down to a low roar, for you and for all the rest.
Still hoping things get better and better, friend.
 
@Westy We are all a bit cranky these days. Life is just frustrating with all this pandemic business. Then add your recovery that seems to last forever - enough already!

Hang in there. Keep reminding yourself that this is all temporary. Hippielife's idea about very gradually building up your distance is a good one. Tank will keep you company!
 
Good to see your update but wish the pain was a little better for you.
Please don't give up on your recovery. It's going to take a long time but I think you will experience improvements, just not along the normal time frame.

You have been through it, for sure, and have every right to be cranky.

Love the picture of Tank! :dogsniff:
 
Thanks for updating, Westy. It’s always nice to read your posts. I wish you luck with your OS appointment this week. I hope you leave there with a renewed sense of hope, feeling reassured. I‘m sorry for the pain you’re suffering, wish it was more tolerable for you. Pain is draining and it’s understandable you’d feel irritable or annoyed some days. Add to that the crazy times we‘re all navigating with the pandemic and the collateral damage it’s caused and we ALL feel cranky at times. Please don’t lose hope because there is time and room for improvement and a much brighter future. We’re here for you and will continue to cheer you on from the sidelines.

I love Tank! The new ruler of the roost. Glad he brings you joy and keeps you company.
I hope you have a good week! :)
@Westy
 
Good to see you posting. I can't imagine the journey you've been on but I know it's easy for me to say stay positive. I've got aches and pains in both hips, and I most likely will for the rest of my life, but I am still mobile. I think taking it slowly as long as you can stay infection free you'll keep seeing improvements and your ability to walk further will get better. Hang in there.
 
Good to see you drop by with an update, hopefully the appointment with the OS goes well. Sorry you're still dealing with pain, hopefully that will start to lighten up.

Tank is gorgeous and definitely looks to be a furry bunch of fun! My friend has a Newfie and he's a riot, keeps her hopping but she loves it. Our fur babies are great distractions when we're feeling down. They're good for our blood pressure too!
 
Hey Westy,
Something brought you to mind today and I’m wondering how you’re doing? If you receive alerts we’d love to hear from you. I hope you’re making progress and feeling well.
Wishing you a healthy, happy New Year!
@Westy
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom