Hip Infection* Westy's Hip Recovery Thread

,@Westy I have taken time thinking about you and how best to answer your worries, I so feel for you, I know exactly how you are feeling it is a state of absolutely, not knowing what to do next or how you can help yourself. I am so pleased people have bought up about nutrition and general health, the amount of antibs you are on and have been on will have knocked your immune system to pieces and needs building up. Do try and see a nutritionist. Over the last two years having my spacer in I have spent so much time researching the health benefits of so many things. I now take a large amount of supplements helped by my dietician and it does help I am healthy yes still not got my hip yet but feel very well and not had antibs in over a year, I think one thing is it helps to know you are helping yourself too. Pain is such a difficult thing and everybody is different but generally being healthier will help, sometimes it helps to go back to the old ways, ice especially. Give yourself time to get over all this infection, worry and stress. The reason we have delayed another attempt on my hip is mostly because I just could not think of coping with sepsis again, covid has delayed it and honestly I am glad, I will have one more try i feel I will let myself down if I do not. I talked with our eldest son when at my lowest, I just did not want to upset my husband more. You are strong and you will get stronger and be able to think things out, be kind to yourself and give yourself time, remember the longer you wait the less likely it is for the infection to come back. There is huge advances in mushroom compounds in medical research centres do perhaps do abit of research.. Hugsx
 
I know they say you have to suffer to play the blues, you get through this you've got a real future as a player. I'd say the pain isn't helping you in making your decisions. I can really understand wanting to wait especially for the hospitals and Dr.s to settle into whatever the new normal will be. So far you've had everything that could go wrong happen so I'd play it very safe.
 
Good morning all, it's just after midnight here,

I can't begin to express my gratitude for all the thoughtful responses. You're all amazing and so well versed in this stuff, I'm blown away. Thank you a million times to each of you who responded to my call for your thoughts and ideas.

I had the chance to speak with a very good friend and fellow musician (drummer) who I've known for 12 years or so. We've played together and worked on several songs. Ironically, he's both an internal medicine doctor, and a shrink. LOL He ended up choosing the shrink route as the path for his career because he got such a great rewarding feeling from working with Military Veteran's coming back from war.
He's a brilliant musician, and obviously a super smart guy. The best part about him, he's down to earth and tells it like it is, no nonsense. After a time on the phone, he was of the opinion that if I chose the pain management route, it might not be helpful. The reason he said that is simply because even strong doses of Norco, which I was taking after the last surgery weren't all that helpful. Add to that, they did nothing to improve my mobility. That said, he added that if I chose this route, he felt it would be entirely ethical and understandable given what I've been through.
On a side note, he had back surgery a few years ago from the top guy in our area, and that failed in just under a year. The back doc wanted to do a second surgery, he declined and chose to wear a back brace and live his life that way. He's about 14 years younger than me, and in great shape. He felt the risks in the second surgery were too high, infection, another failed suregery, etc.

He recommended a pain doc he knows well and had him call me, This pain doc was able to review all my records through MyChart prior to calling me. He came to the conclusion that I'm a good candidate for his program and he'd be willing to work with me starting right away..
That was both good and bad news. It more or less forces me to make a decision soon. I thought about it long and hard for 24 straight hours and weighed all the pros and cons. So now, I've come to the conclusion that I don't think that's the right way to go for me at this time. I've decided to try one surgery, and see how that goes. Now it's a matter of getting a surgical date and making sure that it allows for enough prep time.
One major thing that was discovered during all this deep thought. :) Prior to my first surgery, I had to take the MRSA Swab test. I came back positive for MSSA +1 growth. My initial OS put me on an ointment for 5 days prior to surgery to kill the bacteria. It's a type of staph that shows up in 30% of the population. (per what I've read about it)
Now I'm convinced that very Staph is probably what caused my infection. We couldn't get a positive ID on the exact bacteria due to the fact that I had been on a ton of oral antibiotic when they suspected infection. Because of that I was treated with the IV stuff for virtually every bacteria that can grow in that area. (per the ID doc) YIKES!!!!!!
So, for now, it looks like I'm going ahead with surgery #5. I'm leaning 90%+ in that direction and have contacted the new OS via MyChart to let him know.
I want to ask him about conditions at the hospital and get his true feel about them. As mentioned, they just started doing elective surgeries again on 14 may due to the Covid shut down.

I'm so sorry for these EPIC long posts, but with many of you taking up your valuable time to respond to me, I feel I owe it to you to keep you informed. It's the very least I can do., It's also proper decorum to a bunch of great people who are trying to help an old guy out. I appreciate each of you more than you can ever know.

Have a great rest of the weekend, stay safe and healthy my hipster friends. :)

Westy

PS...more to come once I hear from the OS.
 
Would if we could...have a crystal ball.:unsure:
I feel like the disinfection protocols and such at medical facilities is being executed even more judiciously.
Hoping you can find some distraction today and that you get a break from the pain.
Keep the faith...
 
@Westy You are taking your time, weighing your options and discussing things with what sounds like the right people.
I am glad that you are going to give it another try.
My sister and my husband are facing procedures soon in the hospital and I agree with @Mojo333.
The infection control protocols are at an all time high right now. I continue to comfort myself with that fact whenever I begin to fret and worry.

Wishing you the very best in outcomes, no matter what you decide.

Thank you for your updates.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you got some sound advise and came to a reasoned decision @Westy. Hopefully now that you have chosen a path some of weight upon your shoulders has lessened. We will all be rooting for a positive outcome:cheers:, stay strong my friend.
 
I’m glad you have a direction. Analysis paralysis can keep us from action but action always feels good after good advice from good friends. I will be eagerly following your progress. Peace and blessings. Pat.
 
@Westy sounds like you have a really good friend there. Happy that you had someone you trust with a medical background as well as the psyche background that you could bounce things off of.

Could you maybe go with the pain management doc, avoiding injections, until you can actually get the surgery done? He may have some better options than the norco. Just a thought. As always, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. :angel:

And thank your friend for taking care of our Vets, they often times slip through the cracks. :friends:
 
Hey There Hipster Friends,


Guess what time it is??? It's time to get busy, again!!! I'm having my "revision" surgery this coming week. I've done all my pre surgical testing and had the Covid 19 test today.

I'm sure many of you know all this stuff, but I'll repeat what my new OS has told me thus far. Even with good solid, infection free labs, there's still a 10 to 15% chance that the infection is still present. Once he opens me up, he'll take tissue and fluid samples. Testing for bacteria is done on the spot, and allegedly, the results will be known quickly. If there is still an infection, it's going to be another surgery that involves, cleaning up dead tissue, dead bone matter, full irrigation, and another medicated spacer for 6 more weeks. Additionally, I'll have 6 more weeks of the lovely IV antibiotics. That's the worst case scenario. You have no idea how badly I don't want this to be the result. I've had enough of this whole hip thing and am ready to get on with life. (I know others have dealt with far more than I have, and I admire your strength and desire to get better like you can't imagine)

If he finds everything to be infection free, it's revision time. He'll cleanup the area real well, irrigate the heck out of it with strong antibiotic solution and then, proceed with the revision. Fingers crossed that this is the way it goes. He claims after looking at latest X-rays, surgery should be 3 hours (ish). If things go well, and pain is controlled, I might be able to go home the day after surgery. If pain is bad, I'll stay an extra day. if it's another spacer, I'm still going to aim to get outta there ASAP. I've already put my ID Doc on notice that I'm having surgery, so if I need her services, she'll be on the job. She's one of the best doc's I've ever dealt with, but I HOPE I don't require her services. LOL

I'll report back when I can. Meantime, if you all have any extra good vibes or mojo to spare, I could certainly use all I can get right now. Thanks, I hope all are having a good summer thus far. These are sure some crazy times we're living through. Very surreal to me. Be well everyone, thanks for reading.

Westy

PS, excuse any typos or bad spelling, yes friends, I'm still on NORCO. While this past week was a pretty good one, pain wise, the last few days have been rough.
 
Oh my goodness @Westy wishing you the very best of outcomes with your revision. I say revision because that’s what you need and to move forward.
Would you mind posting your actual date so we can concentrate our good vibes, prayers, good energy on the right date?
:praying:
 
Hi @Westy ,

I am new to the forum and have just read most of your thread. You are one gutsy guy!

Of course you don't know me, but my gut reaction is that you are doing what is best for you and yours by going for it (and I have an impressive track record with my gut reactions...)!

I am pulling for you to have a successful surgery, along with the BoneSmart staff and members!

I notice that your given name is John, so John, you are now in my prayers for your return to good heath.

You are a great dad, just the way you talk about your four children, it is lovely.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:wave:@Westy
Very surreal times indeed :nah:and then to be dealing with this hip infection and all that it involves...:sad:
I, like Crickethip, will be rooting for this revision ...I do so hope that is what can happen and that you are able to get home quickly. I'm happy you have an ID doc that you have faith in and I will be directing all the positive mojo to your surgical team and to you for all to go beautifully.

It has been such a tough year since your original THR...I'm sure for your family also. Hope today is a better day, friend.
 
Good luck @Westy !! Sending my hip's good karma over to you, so hopefully this upcoming op will be YOUR hip's grand finale!! :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx:. You've been through so much I am in awe that you are still so positive. Stay strong, and know we're all here behind you, cheering you on. :dancy:
 
Hello Westy, It’s good to hear from you. Thanks for the update. You will be in my thoughts for the best possible outcome as you are taking next steps this week. You sound very courageous and upbeat. I’m sure visions of a brighter future are encouraging and I will be praying to that end. :prayer:
Please let us know how you’re doing when you’re able.
Hugs :console2:
@Westy
 
Hello everyone, and as always, thank you so very much for the kind words and positive vibes. The date is..........TOMORROW, (22 June) the TIME is 12 NOON. OS has the room scheduled for 3 hours, so that's the lower end of his estimated time, which was 3 to 5 hours. The ironic part of this, my mother, a great, strong, independent, outside the box thinker, and my personal hero and idol, passed away on 22 June several years back. Even more ironic, my first post op visit with the OS is scheduled for 7 July, the birth date of my late father in law.

I have to be 100% open with you all, because you've done so much to help me through to this point. i'm not even a tiny bit scared of the surgical procedure. I never have been, through the previous 4. However, I'm absolutely terrified of waking up to find out he had to put in another medical spacer and I'll need to go on 6 more weeks of IV antibiotics. I hate to sound like a whiner, because so many of you have been through so dang much, but that's my biggest fear. I've already lost an entire year of my life to this deal, and I'm an old guy. 66 1/2 to be exact. Prior to the 6/27/19 hip replacement, I was a very active guy. This past 12 months, I've turned into a slug. LOL, seriously.

Right now, as I sit here, typing this, I am still having second thoughts about showing up for the procedure. I know that's a BAD attitude, but I'm being honest with my online friends and support community. My new OS is straight up 100% honest, and I really respect and like him. He tells it like it is, and I appreciate that.

So, I'm taking all of you to the hospital with me tomorrow (in spirit.) I know I'll have my team supporting me and that helps. Without this forum and all the wonderful people who freely share your stories, suggestions, and advice. I surely wouldn't be as well versed in this stuff as I am. Thank you all so much for all you've shared with me. It's been such a tremendous help, words can't really describe it.

Off topic, we have a new puppy coming on July 20th. While I would have preferred to adopt a dog from one of the numerous shelters in our area, once Covid hit, they were all cleaned out, fast. The demand for dogs and cats at local shelters was at record highs. I ended up calling a breeder we've purchased from in the past. She too reported huge demand. We had to wait a few months for this guy to be born, but I'm glad we did. He's an all brown Newfoundland. Our previous 3 Newf's have been either all black, or black and white. I'm really excited about this little guy. In the attached pic, he's just 3 weeks old. It will be so great to have a furry friend back in the house, it's been too long. When he's full grown, he'll be about 180 pounds of gentle giant and a huge fur ball. :)

Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there. Once again, thanks everyone, for everything you've shared with me. I feel like I'm part of of the Bone Smart family, only because you all welcomed me.
Stay healthy and safe all.

Westy
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Westy's Hip Recovery Thread
    fullsizeoutput_7fe3.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 382
Aww Westy, your post is really touching. I’m happy you’re not afraid of the surgery itself and certainly understand your fear of waking with an antibiotic spacer again.

It’s good you’re reaching out and staying connected here, you are a part of the BoneSmart family and we care about you. Many who read this will be with you in spirit through thoughts, good vibes, love, positive energy, prayer etc. I myself believe in prayer and will concentrate on that as opposed to “what if’s”.

That puppy is absolutely adorable and something exciting to look forward to. Concentrate on that litttle fur ball when you’re feeling apprehensive also the love of your family, close friends and the support and encouragement we’ll readily offer once you’re ready to communicate with us again. Sending a warm hug your way with a wish for brighter days soon.

Prayers for healing and happy endings. :prayer:
@Westy
 
I’m so glad you have this opportunity to finally get your life back. I have special feelings for June 22 for various reasons so I’m sending those vibes your way. I miss not having a fur baby dog in the house. Won’t he be a fun motivator for you, he’s adorable! Blessings for the best possible outcome for your surgery with good pain control and a fresh start to healing recovery. We’ll see you on that side soon. ❤️ Pat
 
@Westy wishing you a peaceful night, happy Father's Day and what a cute puppy! Will be sending you all the prayers and good thoughts I can tomorrow for your surgery! Rooting for a revision, minimal pain and a nice easy recovery this time around! :friends:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom