Good morning all, it's just after midnight here,
I can't begin to express my gratitude for all the thoughtful responses. You're all amazing and so well versed in this stuff, I'm blown away. Thank you a million times to each of you who responded to my call for your thoughts and ideas.
I had the chance to speak with a very good friend and fellow musician (drummer) who I've known for 12 years or so. We've played together and worked on several songs. Ironically, he's both an internal medicine doctor, and a shrink. LOL He ended up choosing the shrink route as the path for his career because he got such a great rewarding feeling from working with Military Veteran's coming back from war.
He's a brilliant musician, and obviously a super smart guy. The best part about him, he's down to earth and tells it like it is, no nonsense. After a time on the phone, he was of the opinion that if I chose the pain management route, it might not be helpful. The reason he said that is simply because even strong doses of Norco, which I was taking after the last surgery weren't all that helpful. Add to that, they did nothing to improve my mobility. That said, he added that if I chose this route, he felt it would be entirely ethical and understandable given what I've been through.
On a side note, he had back surgery a few years ago from the top guy in our area, and that failed in just under a year. The back doc wanted to do a second surgery, he declined and chose to wear a back brace and live his life that way. He's about 14 years younger than me, and in great shape. He felt the risks in the second surgery were too high, infection, another failed suregery, etc.
He recommended a pain doc he knows well and had him call me, This pain doc was able to review all my records through MyChart prior to calling me. He came to the conclusion that I'm a good candidate for his program and he'd be willing to work with me starting right away..
That was both good and bad news. It more or less forces me to make a decision soon. I thought about it long and hard for 24 straight hours and weighed all the pros and cons. So now, I've come to the conclusion that I don't think that's the right way to go for me at this time. I've decided to try one surgery, and see how that goes. Now it's a matter of getting a surgical date and making sure that it allows for enough prep time.
One major thing that was discovered during all this deep thought.

Prior to my first surgery, I had to take the MRSA Swab test. I came back positive for MSSA +1 growth. My initial OS put me on an ointment for 5 days prior to surgery to kill the bacteria. It's a type of staph that shows up in 30% of the population. (per what I've read about it)
Now I'm convinced that very Staph is probably what caused my infection. We couldn't get a positive ID on the exact bacteria due to the fact that I had been on a ton of oral antibiotic when they suspected infection. Because of that I was treated with the IV stuff for virtually every bacteria that can grow in that area. (per the ID doc) YIKES!!!!!!
So, for now, it looks like I'm going ahead with surgery #5. I'm leaning 90%+ in that direction and have contacted the new OS via MyChart to let him know.
I want to ask him about conditions at the hospital and get his true feel about them. As mentioned, they just started doing elective surgeries again on 14 may due to the Covid shut down.
I'm so sorry for these EPIC long posts, but with many of you taking up your valuable time to respond to me, I feel I owe it to you to keep you informed. It's the very least I can do., It's also proper decorum to a bunch of great people who are trying to help an old guy out. I appreciate each of you more than you can ever know.
Have a great rest of the weekend, stay safe and healthy my hipster friends.
Westy
PS...more to come once I hear from the OS.