@Westy
My goodness man - I am new to this forum and have just read your full thread. I had a rare complication after my right THR that has caused tremendous pain and disability over the past year, during which I have felt very sorry for myself, have not been able to do my job properly, and have been almost completely housebound. But what I have endured is nothing compared to what you have experienced. You are one strong man, and I know you are going to kick this thing’s butt and get back to your real life!
I am a (veterinary) medical professional and not inclined to the woo-woo stuff, but I thought I’d share with you that learning to meditate helped me to endure the seemingly-relentless pain of my condition and maintain an optimistic outlook, which I consider essential to physical recovery and well-being. I also had some full-body massage and acupuncture during that period - the massage in particular was amazingly helpful for relaxing me and switching off the terror that I may never return to normal. I also used a cold laser on my screwed-up soft tissues - I’m not sure how much improvement I can attribute to that, but I have definitely improved over the time I have used it. My job, life, and identity all depend on physical integrity, the outdoors, and activity - so this period was truly terrifying. Those negative emotions, when sustained over a long period of time, really take a toll on our bodies just when we need them to heal as well as possible, so although I did not endure the infection issues that are at the root of your suffering, I thought I’d share what was helpful for me in addressing serious pain and lack of healing. I am so grateful that you have the support of your wonderful wife, children, and friends - I hate to think of what it would be like for a single, more isolated person to go through such a thing. :-(
I’d also like to take this opportunity to thank all the forum members for the love, kindness, and support I’ve seen poured out on these pages. Speaking for myself, I really throttle down on what I tell spouse, friends, and family about my pain and fear because I think it can be overwhelming for them over a long period of time. It is wonderful that the forum is here to accept all of that and provide unqualified non-stop support, particularly during these uncertain times when so many people have their own struggles to contend with.
Peace and love to all of you, and particularly Westy! Warm hugs to you, and I am looking forward to hearing that your surgery was a success and you are on the path to health and mobility.