BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[MUA] Well, I am confused<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by 9 of 11, Mar 17, 2019.

1. 9 of 11

9 of 11 new member

United States United States
    Had the MUA today, full flexion and gained about 2 degrees extension , just under +5 , knee is swollen and may need my cane for 24 hours so not sure if this was worth it but will see, do have a new OS as my former left to return to his home state. Love this new doctor, if and that is a huge if, repeat this party, he would do my left knee. I will see how I am tomorrow, ice, ice, ice today

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Definitely :ice: and be gentle with the knee.

3. 9 of 11

9 of 11 new member

Just a quick question, how long does recovery from a MUA take? It’s been over a week and I expected a little less swelling and a lot less pain, which has really centered on the top of my foot and upper right side of my ankle, usually taking about 500 Tylenol 2 or 3 x a day and 1/2 a norco before bed and occasionally during the day. And before anyone wonders I ice for an hour at least 4 x a day and most of the night. Elevate 2 /3x / day. Thanks for any insights

4. Rockgirl4

Rockgirl4 member

@9 of 11 My MUA was in 2016 and set me back severely. My leg swelled considerably more than expected, and my quad bruised all over. It took 3 weeks to see any improvement, and that improvement was mild. I just had my TKR on that knee 4 days ago, and my surgeon confirmed my knee was full of scar tissue even after the MUA in 2015 (keep in mind that MUA was due to a different type of knee surgery called ACI). In his words, the trauma of the MUA created more scar tissue, as those tissues were extremely inflamed and angry--the overaggressive PT afterwards made matters worse.

5. 9 of 11

9 of 11 new member

My niece just came over and did some weird taping on my knee to decrease swelling and my gait and pain improved immediately, odd I know but pretty amazing. She is a gentle PT so I am blessed with that

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rockgirl4

Rockgirl4 member

@9 of 11 I've had taping done for a variety of knee and ankle issues over the years. It's some wonderful stuff. I'm glad she was able to help you.:flwrysmile:

7. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

As with every part of this recovery, how long things take is very variable. I would think the more force used in an MUA, the more disruption to your leg, and the longer it could take to recover.
    This is just a guess, but my guess is this is where your surgeon held your leg so he could push it into the bend and it caused trauma in this area.

As an example, years ago I had a lower back molar extracted. The dentist had a hard time doing it. The next few days my jawbone and just below was really sore. When I mentioned that at my next follow up he sheepishly said, “that’s where I was holding you still with one hand while getting the tooth out.” It suddenly made perfect sense to me.