MUA Well, I am confused<

Had the MUA today, full flexion and gained about 2 degrees extension , just under +5 , knee is swollen and may need my cane for 24 hours so not sure if this was worth it but will see, do have a new OS as my former left to return to his home state. Love this new doctor, if and that is a huge if, repeat this party, he would do my left knee. I will see how I am tomorrow, ice, ice, ice today
 
Last edited:
Definitely :ice: and be gentle with the knee.
 
Just a quick question, how long does recovery from a MUA take? It’s been over a week and I expected a little less swelling and a lot less pain, which has really centered on the top of my foot and upper right side of my ankle, usually taking about 500 Tylenol 2 or 3 x a day and 1/2 a norco before bed and occasionally during the day. And before anyone wonders I ice for an hour at least 4 x a day and most of the night. Elevate 2 /3x / day. Thanks for any insights
 
@9 of 11 My MUA was in 2016 and set me back severely. My leg swelled considerably more than expected, and my quad bruised all over. It took 3 weeks to see any improvement, and that improvement was mild. I just had my TKR on that knee 4 days ago, and my surgeon confirmed my knee was full of scar tissue even after the MUA in 2015 (keep in mind that MUA was due to a different type of knee surgery called ACI). In his words, the trauma of the MUA created more scar tissue, as those tissues were extremely inflamed and angry--the overaggressive PT afterwards made matters worse.
 
My niece just came over and did some weird taping on my knee to decrease swelling and my gait and pain improved immediately, odd I know but pretty amazing. She is a gentle PT so I am blessed with that
 
@9 of 11 I've had taping done for a variety of knee and ankle issues over the years. It's some wonderful stuff. I'm glad she was able to help you.:flwrysmile:
 
As with every part of this recovery, how long things take is very variable. I would think the more force used in an MUA, the more disruption to your leg, and the longer it could take to recover.
which has really centered on the top of my foot and upper right side of my ankle, u
This is just a guess, but my guess is this is where your surgeon held your leg so he could push it into the bend and it caused trauma in this area.

As an example, years ago I had a lower back molar extracted. The dentist had a hard time doing it. The next few days my jawbone and just below was really sore. When I mentioned that at my next follow up he sheepishly said, “that’s where I was holding you still with one hand while getting the tooth out.” It suddenly made perfect sense to me.
 
Well today was my first official day out in the field seeing my moms and babes! Carried my scale and computer with really no problems. Actually came home and cleaned my car and scrubbed it down inside and out to get ready for all those diapers and safe sleep pack and plays I bring. Scrubbed my bedroom bathroom, did the dishes and finished charting. Did some of those irritating extension exercises and off to bed up on pillows and took a pain med, iced up just to be cautious . Felt so good to be part of my team again. Work again tomorrow and ending the day with PT. Guess will see if 3 months was what I needed or if I overdid it , I feel like my knee is ready, so world here we come!
 
@9 of 11 I'm sure it felt so good to be a part of things again. :) Here's to a pain-free night and doing it again tomorrow.
 
So did post MUA visit with new OS, basically he feels my extension will improve minimally or not all as my implant is not implanted straight by the prior doc. So, the plan is to get back to life, work ( which is pretty labor heavy) and see him in 3 months if I last. He did tell me come back at any time if I need him, stop PT because I have endured enough with that, join a gym that has a good recumbent bike and walk. His only comment about my prior doc was that him leaving is not a bad thing and he has taken on quite a few new patients and yes, he is a revision specialist ( referred by my old docs PA and my niece) really, really bad day, thank goodness I got to cuddle some sweet newborns and hug some new mommies
 
Last edited:
@9 of 11 sorry to hear your prior Doc did a poor job. I had a similar experience when I broke my ankle but ended up back in the hospital within a couple of day due to an ileus and a second orthopedic surgeon looked at my case and realized the issues. I ended up having a second surgery within a week of the first that corrected the problems before I healed with an ankle that wasn't properly aligned. I hope you can keep cuddling newborns and hugging new mommies while you deal with a bad hand.
 
I'm so sorry your doctor did a poor job on your knee. I am glad that you found a new doctor who is taking care of you, and am sending good wishes your way. Cuddling sweet newborns does help lift us up, so I'm glad you get to do that a lot. Please keep us posted on your recovery!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom