THR Wcgirl again painting rainbows

How wonderful that you were able to have your children with you for 3 weeks, @wcgirl, and that they were such a good help for you, and those healthy meals--I am envious. I love all my children but other than my younger daughter who is a medical assistant, I am not sure I'd trust any of them to provide much care and, unfortunately, none of them are good cooks. For me it was wonderful on those few occasions when friends brought a meal. My husband tried valiantly to supply meals, but he's not used to cooking and meals were basic at best. Good news is that meant I didn't gain any weight during recovery! Have a satisfying time at your hair appointment today--a big step forward when your hair is buffed and puffed, and you leave with good spirits when you leave. Have a great day!
 
@wcgirl I miss the New England fall colours! Sounds like they were pretty spectacular this year with the later season :) We get the most amazing golds, mixed in with the towering evergreens here, and also some smattering of reds and oranges in the ornamental trees in folks' gardens.

Driving is great. I will advise not to do long drives for awhile. After driving for a week and a half, I drove an hour to see my young horse at my trainer friends place on Friday, was out of the car for about an hour but on my feet, and then drove home. I was sore the next day (yesterday) in the hip joint area, even with just that small pivot movement. Cleary muscles that hadn't been used for awhile did a little extra duty! Icing has helped sort that out. It was one of those "just because you can doesn't mean you should" moments I think!! LOL!!

Have a great day and enjoy your freedom again. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your kids and daughter-in-law! Perfect timing! :-)
 
5 weeks I drove for PT incision massage, then into the pool 80 degrees for gentle range of motion ‘exercises’. The water is usually 84 and felt cool - nice for any swelling. Iced for 10 minutes before grocery run. Then 30 min laying flat to open hips and relax. Making dinner for myself and doing laundry. Everything is easy reach. Tomorrow will be a rainy windy Cape day good for lazing around, bookwork, reading and/or catching up on missed TV shows. I’d had a little hitch in the hip but I think that released in the pool as most of my swelling is gone. Feeling good & walking pretty well w cane every other step.
 
Wonderful update, thanks for sharing.
It sounds as though you're progressing nicely and getting back into the swing of things.
I hope you enjoy your day of lazing around tomorrow. A great rest of the week to you!
@wcgirl
 
Oh, @wcgirl, a massage and then a warm and relaxing pool experience--sounds lovely. Glad that you feel as if you're walking comfortably, and feeling good--you are clearly well on your way in this recovery journey--hurray for you!
 
Well I have to say I don’t have animals and don’t muck out stalls! I’m humbled by how well my fellow hipsters fare while managing so many responsibilities that really can’t be handed over. It is interesting how we adjusted and adapted as we have had to prior to surgery. You are still doing it!
Suddenly today I’m totally shocked to be walking all around the house without walking aids. Can this be? I do remember it was sudden w first surgery.
 
Yes! It's real....you're doing it, yay! :yay:
:walking:Walking, walking....you're on your way.
@wcgirl
 
Soooo, I was walking well in the morning... and I guess I’ll keep that cane handy. :heehee:
Today it poured buckets. I’ll have to get some walking in at fine stores everywhere tomorrow. My Rainy lazy day ended up w To Do Lists! Hard to lay around after recouping for 5 weeks!
 
Hope you have a fun day shopping.
Don't wear yourself out....easy to do in these early weeks.
A great Wednesday to you!
@wcgirl
 
Last edited:
Yup, those first steps without a walking aid are pretty wonderful, @wcgirl, even if they are only a very few at first. They really do make you feel like--gosh, recovery IS possible! Don't do too much, and wear yourself out, but it does sound like you're doing very well, chugging along nicely on the recovery journey. And walking in stores is great--although my first trip to Costco exhausted me, I did get in a great walk along nice, wide aisles which was very helpful at first. Cheers.
 
Just getting by your thread...and:wowspring:
You sound like you are on your way! Do take time to rest after all your doings!
Lots of healing still happening!
Have a great weekend!:roseshwr:
 
Happy Saturday!
I hope your doing well and got through the shopping on Wednesday.
Leave us an update next time you stop by. Would love to hear of your progress.
Have a nice weekend!
@wcgirl
 
Shopping ended up being longer than I thought but I enjoyed it thoroughly. I was in one store for a little over an hour, taking my time to look through everything. I usually go in and get what I need and get out - 15 minutes max. It was so good to get out on a sunny day and to take my time and remember the things that I really needed. Lunch home and a 30 minute rest was great. Did another errand in the afternoon and later a friend brot dinner. It was a very good day. On Thurs I played morning bridge out, lunch & rest at home, then went to PT. Incision massage and gentle stretching in the pool was fabulous. I've had a couple of early morning appointments scheduled. 'Micky' mouse is no longer with us. And my cable service has been upgraded inside and out. After a quiet day yesterday I went out for a buffet and was able to walk unaided - clenching all the way. :eyebrows:
I'm back and forth with the cane & crutch. I can still trip myself with the cane but it keeps people at a safe distance. The crutch is the best as I concentrate on my posture more and is much more comfortable to walk some distance with it. All & all things are going fairly smoothly. Was surprised with the Nor'easter and snow here which is very unusual in November. Today is bright sunshine & clear blue skies and lawns covered with red & brown oak leaves mixed with golden pine needles. Temps are below freezing at night and maybe 40s during the day with lots of wind. I bought casual flannel pants and wool socks! Still using my sock tool and long handled shoe horn. :thumb:
 
What a great update. Thanks for sharing.
It sounds like you're doing really well balancing activity with rest.
We're cold in my neck of the woods and have experienced snow already also.
It's gone now....don't miss it. I know it will return soon and be here for the duration.
Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!
@wcgirl
 
:tada:Great job and I think you are doing just fine!
All temporary.
Hope you take today to chill out!:ice:
 
Using whatever assistive device works best for you seems like a smart approach, @wcgirl. I never tried a crutch, hated the walker and found a walking pole was good for a while after that. I finally ditched it when I realized that for the most part I was walking unaided, and just carrying it to warn folks off and I could also lean on it if I had to stay for a bit. I almost tripped my husband at one point through carelessness, and that is when I decided that it was time to walk on my own without anything. Sure, it wasn't a fast paced walk, but walking a bit slower forced me to concentrate on proper gait and I've never looked back. Happy Monday!
 
At 8 weeks Recovery Surges forward, slows down, symptoms change, walking longer feels better, nap is healing, sleepless night, busy days, after PT on cloud 9, lazy next day, need my crutch, morning stretch, baby steps again. Is this normal, what was that twinge, that itch, that pinch, that head ache, that belly ache? What did I eat? Watching movies, walking the circuit, feeling stronger, energy drain. Is this healthy, good for me, slowing my progress. Argh! I’m glad I was able to recheck my progress on my 1st hip in 2015 here on Bonesmart. I never thought I’d be going through this again. My Surgeon improved his procedure this time so he said. Perhaps I improved how I recovered w more patience w myself. I’m flying out in 5 days. Daily improvements, setbacks, just breath and move on. Actually I think that little hitch is gone after that hot shower! Imagine that?
 
You've captured it all!
Crazy ride that it is. Melt into it, go with the flow, let it happen.
All temporary and signs that you're healing.
I'll bet it was comforting to look back and realize it's all pretty darned normal for recovery.
Enjoy the ride and don't forget to smell the roses along the way!
@wcgirl
 
Sounds like you're doing wonderfully, @wcgirl! I think the normal ups and downs affect us all--good days followed by weird aches and pains the next. But I'm betting overall that you're feeling much improved, especially compared to just out of surgery on October 8! You say you're flying out in 5 days--hope it's somewhere fun and you're looking forward to it, nothing like happy anticipation to put one in an excellent mood! Happy Wednesday!
 
Today I had a minor accident w my car. It was shocking & mortifying. I was going very slow leaving a parking spot and stopped to put visor down because of the suns glare but didn’t see the light pole next to me. The cement base was below my view and about 3’ high and wide. The pole itself was in the blind spot by the drivers windshield & door. So when I accelerated slowly I turned into it and caught my front fender, tire and scraped the driverside door. It was a hard jolt and a shock for sure! I thought I’d mention it because it is something I thought hard about when I was anxious to drive at 4 weeks. I’m 9 weeks out and it is still scary. I feel fine. In fact I’m walking better as I paced in the repair shop for about 45 minutes. The claim is submitted but crazy how quickly things happen. I have PT in the morning...
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom