THR Wcgirl again painting rainbows

Oops...almost forgot....
HAPPY THREE MONTH ANNIVERSARY! :flwrysmile:
@wcgirl
 
Went for an overnight trip. Preparing for the trip and closing up my home got my IT Band in a snit. I had to use my cane the whole day! That was a bit scary! After some of my early PT bed exercises and a wonderful night sleep I was back walking as well as I had been before. Great day sightseeing then a very bumpy ferry boat ride home. Looking forward to my pool exercises and getting back into a 'routine'.
 
:hi:I'm sorry you hit a bit of the Overdid It Club...:umm:
Sometimes movements we seem ready for cause something to get aggravated...it will get less so with time.
Hope all eases soon.:yes:
 
Good morning, @wcgirl. Sorry to read your IT band is acting up, but sounds like you've got a plan (ahhh...the pool) to help get things right again. I am hoping by now things are feeling better and you're back on a solid recovery track. I was stupid last weekend and threw my back out, really uncomfortable but by week's end, with a lot of rest and my faithful heating pad, plus some daily exercise, I am back in business again. I still get frustrated as I feel stiff and ungainly sometimes, but trying not to focus on that and rather accept that it's going to take time and effort for months to regain even half of what I enjoyed before all this hip "nonsense". With a bum left hip waiting in the wings for surgery someday, I suspect it's going to be a long, hard road to travel. But what other choice do I have other than to just keep on truckin'! Happy Monday to you!
 
Hi @wcgirl :wave:
Nice update. It's good to read you had a lovely time.
Sounds like your stint in the ODIC was short lived, thankfully!
Wishing you great success at falling back into a routine.
Have a wonderful week!
 
I’m finally back to Burdenko pool exercises. But in betweentime when I sit too long after a ‘busy’ spell of errands in & out of the car and a mile long walk with or without cane, I feel like I have bricks instead of feet! Let’s see, checking my calendar— I’m 3 1/2 half months... Well! No wonder! Perhaps I might be expecting too much?! More houseguests next week and I want so much to be able to keep up!
I’ve been reading recently about weight loss in several posts. I did read that hipsters would need more calories as we heal, especially early on. I’ve been eating sensibly and when I am hungry. I find it really helps with energy drain. Weight loss will happen as I get more active.
Home for a couple of days but that doesn’t necessarily mean I won’t challenge my recovery. I Sometimes get too ambitious with projects! :scare:Glad I revisited my calendar!
 
As you recall from your last hip, recovery takes a lot longer than 3 1/2 months.
It's good you remind yourself of that now and again, as you have in checking the calendar.
I hope you're able to pace yourself next week with visiting house guests.
Enjoy their company!
@wcgirl
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well.
Enjoy the weekend! :flwrysmile:
@wcgirl
 
I agree, @wcgirl, finding the "sweet spot" between movement and rest can be so challenging. I hope the pool exercises are helping. I am lucky that weight loss isn't one of the challenges I'm facing but so disappointed to read that I can't eat extra while healing and not gain weight. I am pretty disciplined, but if one has to be recovering, how lovely would it be if we could eat anything we want without putting on a pound? I've not found this to be true--rats! Snowing in my neck of the woods today. No milk or eggs in any of the three grocery stores I went to this morning, so I'm feeling crabby. Having wine for lunch!
 
Well I guess it's been a while since I've posted last. 9 mos since my surgery. Just amazing. I returned to PT at 7 mos for a tuneup. My IT bands were acting up in both legs. I'd been doing pool exercises religiously, but I also needed to ramp them up to get more strength in my legs. I had 6 sessions and IT issues are gone. Im finding that walking is really good when I take the time. I still do my upgraded pool work. I have been able to get out to golf a couple of times a week. And now I've had the opportunity to get back into sailing. I wasn't sure how I'd be climbing in & out of boats but it's just remembering where to step and where to hold on. I'm testing the waters - so to speak. I'm counting my blessing and taking things slow. I even got a chance to get out and dance a couple of evenings. Hoping all my October 2019 hipsters are doing well. I'm criusing around now to check them out. :swim::capn::spin:
 
:wave:@wcgirl
So good to hear from you!:tada:
It's so nice to get back to our lives with great hips, right?
Thanks for the update and hope your summer is Sweet!:yahoo:
 
Hey @wcgirl
So nice to read your lovely update.
Golfing, climbing in and out of boats to go sailing, I guess you've jumped back into life.
So inspirational for those following behind you. Thanks for stopping by to share.
Enjoy the Summer!
 
Hi @wcgirl ,
I enjoyed reading your update. Enjoy summer! Sailing sounds fun (and maybe a little bit of swimming?). "The waters" are so good for people. Hugs from Constanze
 
Yay, glad to read of your wonderful recovery and return to activities you enjoy. I want to be YOU! Okay, I have no interest in sailing, but being able to do things that I love without the pain and ache of this pesky unoperated hip is definitely something I'm looking forward to. Initially I thought 2019 would be a year of recovery and comfortable living, but second hip had other plans--now I'm focusing on 2020 as being that year. Cheers, @wcgirl!
 
Wow, I can’t believe I haven’t been here for over a year!
Thank you @Barbaraj for your kind words. I hope you are doing great.
I do have a question for our advisors. I am 5 1/2 & 3 years out from total hip replacements. I notice that I feel better every year! But this past year I have been watched for high blood calcium. Is there someone I should talk to on the orthopedic side of this. I am wondering if this is part of the bone rebuilding process or something else. Thank you for any feedback that you could give me. I’ve been looking on the something else part of it but I remember reading about the healing & rebuilding of the bone around the prosthesis and wondered if this might have something to do w this.
Thank you as always!
 
But this past year I have been watched for high blood calcium. Is there someone I should talk to on the orthopedic side of this.
Hello @wcgirl .

Have you had tests to help explain why you have a high blood calcium level?
I don't think it would be due to anything caused by your hip replacements, but your surgeon may want to know if there has been any change in your bone density levels.

The most common cause of high blood calcium is a small, benign (not malignant) tumour in one or more of your parathyroid glands.

You have 4 parathyroid glands, each one situated in a corner of your thyroid gland. Their main function is to control calcium levels in the body.

This happened to me several years ago. One of my parathyroid glands started leeching the calcium out of my bones and increasing my blood calcium levels which, in turn, caused me to develop kidney stones. It also decreased my bone density.

I had the part of my thyroid gland that contained the rogue parathyroid gland removed and very soon after that my blood calcium levels returned to normal, I stopped making kidney stones and, over the course of about 6 months my bone density returned to normal.

If you haven't already done so, do discuss the possible reasons for your high blood calcium levels with your own doctor/PCP.
 
Thank you @Celle, you have eased my mind immeasurably! Yes, I have been looking into the parathyroid side. So far so good, but I am following up. It helps me to find someone who has had experience in this regard. Nothing like sharing experiences. Have a good safe holiday.:thankyou:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom