THR Wcgirl again painting rainbows

Ahh, all is well with the world. I am now able to eat - no bowel issues. Had family & friend tonite but have a slight fever -- too much laughing? It was good to have guests. perhaps not enough water. Did get some good naps and I didn't need meds as often. And ate well. Had a couple of walks... I'm late on my Tylenol. Seems to me this happened w my first hip.
 
I've been going around w meds. I thought I was doing better w meds and thought I could back off on Dilaudid. My plan was to go to Tylenol only. Nurse changed order to scheduled dosage and did not tell me that would decrease dosage. I get spasm in my poor knee and aches feeling when it wears off and it's too early for the next dose. So now I'm back on to the Dilaudid thinking I'll wait to make the change when I get home. All this needs a new nurses order but was able to get Dilaudid now. Nurses are great here but each has their own way of communicating and it's easy to miscommunicate when I'm not understanding their restrictions. Here we go again. Good chat this early morning. :yawn:
 
Keep on with the prunes! I had them with porridge and worked well. I too went into a rehab home and found it brilliant. Lots of nurses and carers with good qualifications. I too was asked about number of stairs and the environment I was living in. Being social and going for lunch with everyone else and then able to retire to a quiet room and put my foot up was really great. I missed the automatic bed when I got home!

All the best for your recovery...
 
:flwrysmile:Good for you for being positive and figuring out these early days of recovery.
Too early to be worrying about getting off of your meds.:unsure:
Stay hydrated and hope your weekend is sweet!:angel:
 
Happy Saturday :wave:
Wishing you a great weekend as you begin healing!
I hope it's a peaceful one and your pain is well controlled.
@wcgirl
 
Hey, @wcgirl, hope your day is going well and those meds sorted. Here I thought it would be so much easier for you in rehab rather than at home having to figure things out in a drug induced haze! But, I guess it's a challenge no matter where you are, it just takes time and deliberation to figure it all out--and once you do that it's probably time for a change! But glad you're able to eat again, that must be nice. If we've got an aching hip, it's nice to be able to at least throw back a few decent meals as partial recompense. Have a good day.
 
Finally! Pain med every 5 hrs, Tylenol 1,000 mg every 8 hours. Around the clock and On Time! The night nurses helped me sort it out. They have regulations so it took re-reading My Doctors protocol release paperwork. Yes, we all get that packet upon release. It tells you what meds to take & when, what exercises you should be doing, etc. it's very specific. I am now so much more comfortable. I have lots of quad pain which gets into my knees. I had this before I went into surgery. I had to really force myself to quit messing w my quads and the rest was exactly what I needed. I have it back after surgery. Note to self: Do not do quad stretches or anything that causes quad pain. I still have the spasms but I now remember that it goes away w rest. Walking is plenty as well as just getting in and out of bed. Here in New England we had crazy temp drop. Shivering is deadly to irritated quad muscles. And then the ice Cube. I piled on the blankets. Sooo, I am finally sleeping well at nite w my timer set for the next scheduled medication. I also note in my diary when the ice needs to be replaced, when I pee and meal times. Time for a little rest before my 8am breakfast.
:yes!::loveshwr:
 
Sorry for the cold weather but yes, Ice those quads, keep on warm blanket and warm socks for feet while sitting .
I can certainly sympathize with those poor quads.
Felt like I ran a marathon and then slept for a week.
Ooowwweee!
All temporary...so hang in there.
Big payoff awaits!:happyfeet:
 
Happy Sunday!
It's good to read you got the meds figured out and also found a way to stay warm while on ice :ice:
Hope today is a good one for you :SUNsmile:
@wcgirl
 
Nice to read that you've got most everything sorted out, @wcgirl. In many ways, I think you're ahead many who got home after 24 hours or less, usually in a drug induced fog, and had to figure out the rest/activity, meds, and icing schedule. Sounds as if your medical team has been doing a great job helping you figure this out so when you do get home you'll have a schedule to follow to minimize discomfort and keep you moving forward. And good for you for keeping track of activities as well--I thought about that when I first got home but after writing a few things down at first I was too undisciplined and hazy minded to continue. But, happy Sunday to you and hope today is a good day.
 
Just had a rough 2 hrs. Dilaudin delivered 50 min after my call. I was a 7 by then. The discomfort lessened a little. Finished soup, egg salad & canned pears. Then I started to get chilled as I got organized for TV sports nite. In bed shivers got worse. Heavy blanket made it worse. Called for Nurse & Told her this was an 11! I needed to pee so she helped me in to bathroom because I was shaking so bad. Pain in hip, QUAD spasm Y-ouch! and knee. 'Evacuated' and it was over! Nerves? Too long a wait? I'd been 'swell' all weekend! I'm good now. Nurse just gave me my Tylenol that seems to take the edge off. Can't wait to get home and manage my own meds. Hope they let me go Tues latest!
 
What a roller coaster for you @wcgirl It will be easier to manage when you get home. Keep a journal, and set your alarm for the middle of the night meds. :fingersx: you can get home soon!

Wishing that the meds are given as instructed so that you have a comfortable and restful night :sleep:
 
That's the issue. I do have the alarm set and ask early enough. Diabetics took precedence and delayed me 50 minutes! I'm on track now. Asking an hour sooner. Hate those spasms!
 
@wcgirl , So sorry about the drop in temperatures. Here in the Frankfurt area, we've still had temperatures between 22-24°C (I think that's in the 70s in Fahrenheit) and it's been sunny and dry. We badly need some rain. I hope, you'll be able to go home soon and - no more spasms. Rehab isn't a vacation, and although qualified people give you guidance for your recovery, you need some peace and need to relax as well - and be in control to determine your own medication and recovery plan. Out of interest @wcgirl and @SurreyGirl , under what circumstances do you qualify to go to a rehab centre in the UK and in the US? Or is it your own choice? How long does one usually stay there. In the UK, can you get it paid for by the National Health Service or does the insurance company pay if you have a private insurance? My rehab period was paid for and organised by the statutory German Pension Organisation, not by my statutory sickness insurance company. That's how they do it in Germany for some strange reason. I think the idea behind it is to make you fit for work so you don't need an early pension.
Best from Constanze
 
I paid privately but most people there were being paid for by private insurance policies. I was one of only 2/30 who had had the op on the NHS and not privately.

Most people were staying there for 1-2 weeks and having physio/hydro twice a day.

There are also NHS rehab places which are paid for by the NHS usually where a persons home circumstance makes their home unsuitable for recovery.
 
Last edited:
The heat was turned on... in the halls but not the rooms. I was picking out my couch in the reception area tonite! My sweet niece had a great idea - run the hot water in the shower! Wish I could lie down in there it was so nice.
I go home soon 2 more nites! Can't wait! bandage removed and sticky remains. Ouchy ouchy! Visitors tonite, body heat! :console2: :alarm:
 
Last edited:
Glad you will be able to go home soon.
I hope you have a good day today.
Sending good mojo your way!:tada:
 
Hi there :wave:
One more sleep and you get to go home! :happydance:
I hope your last full day there is a pleasant and warm one.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful day.
@wcgirl
 
Couple of good meetings. Chatted w person who orders meds for release that I'd like 1/2mg Dilaudid. It will help me weaning off meds & I won't have to try to cut 2mg pills in half or quarters. :sos:
PT had me get familiar w Walker w wheels & brakes and how to get into car for ride home. :yikes:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom