THR Wcgirl again painting rainbows

:hi:. All done!
Hope today is a better day and the pain meds get sorted!
New Double hippy in the house!:chuckmarch:

My allergy to nstaids have caused trouble w pain these 1st 24 hour.
Thanks for keeping in touch. @Constanze, so happy to hear you are doing so well.

This morning is a new day! Sitting up In a chair and comfortable. PT soon. Coffee next.

Yay for sitting up in chair! I hope you get your meds on schedule today.
Let us know how PT goes for you.
Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.
@wcgirl

PT on hospital excellemt. Easy. Did walk slowly & short distance. I'm at rehab now! Meal all constipating foods. Got prune juice. Will take a walk in a little bit. Need to get mstsbolism moving!

You're doing great! Hopefully the prune juice works.
Try Pumpkin Puree' if it doesn't and you feel it's something you can tolerate.
Someone suggested it on the forum once and what's great about it is it's only one ingredient. You can sprinkle a little Cinnamon on it if that appeals to you. The Pumpkin Puree has to be ONLY Pumpkin Puree, no other ingredients in the can. Here are a few more recipes in case you find yourself in need -

This is the "Bomb" recipe for anyone Brave (or Desperate) enough to use it.
  • one dose liquid milk of magnesia in an 8 oz. measuring cup
  • fill to 8 oz. mark with prune juice
  • Add 1 Tbsp. dark Karo syrup
  • Heat in microwave
  • Enjoy.
The Candy Apple
  • one dose of MoM in an 8 oz. measuring cup
  • fill to 8 oz. mark with apple juice
  • spoonful of brown sugar
  • Heat in microwave
  • Enjoy
Thoughts on the Bomb:
  • Beware starting this recipe if you've only purchased Cherry Flavored MoM
  • DH got "100% Prune Juice" as opposed to the store brand kind where (though it said 100% Prune Juice, the first ingredient was Water, which made DH deem if unacceptable) :bignono: The consistency of the PJ he got was very thick/syrupy.
  • I think the idea of the Karo was to sweeten the pot.... but with the cherry flavor and the Karo the resulting hot drink was sickeningly sweet and had the texture of hot beef gravy.
Thoughts on the Candy Apple:

• I didn't make this, but if I were going to - I'd get the regular MoM
  • Buy the cheapest Apple Juice you can find...
  • I would error on the side of too little brown sugar, at least to start.
  • @wcgirl

That was me @Layla with the pumpkin prize (!) and I'm telling you @wcgirl it's night and day difference digetsively this time (RT hip) from the LFT one I did earlier, because I started the pumpkin later on lefty and also took all those dreaded stool softeners first time with lefty. Did not start out well. This time --hubby brought the pumpkin purée to the hospital on day one and I've had it with breakfast every single morning w/pure prune juice and normal breakfast food ever since, for two weeks now, and did not have ANY constipation or diarrhea or even nausea or digestive problems. And I have been taking the oxy and steroids and toradol etc ....so it's been really nice to have at least one nasty side effect taken off the plate.

Wishing you the best healing energy going forward ...and get someone to get you some pumpkin, should be easy.... it's the season!!

I love the Pumpkin Puree idea @1stSurgery
It is the best! Especially if you don't mind the taste of it, which I don't.
I didn't have a problem myself, but it never hurts to know those healthy helpful hints. Such an easy one to remember. Those others were recipes were posted by a member awhile back. NanaMama. Trying to get hubs to go to the store and buy the ingredients to mix up one of those would have been like pulling teeth.
Hopefully given enough options people who are struggling can find one that sounds appealing to them.

Sorry for the derail on your thread @wcgirl
It didn't really happen, you're just imagining it did, it's the narcotics,
OR you're wondering whose thread you're on :heehee:
Just a little post op humor, lol.

Unfortunately after crackers water dailaudid prylocet and prune juice after a few bites of dinner I threw it all up. I just asked three of the gals here if they knew that I just had a hip replacement and they didn't seem to know. And why I needed help with my leg. They know now! Tomorrow they will all know. The nurse is very good. Slept 5 hrs this last time.

There is no cooking here! I have prunes. They've always worked before.

Gals? You mean nurses? They didn't know you had a hip replacement? :yikes:
Sound the alarm :sos:

Hopefully just aides and not the nurses... Presumably nurses would have read the chart, right? Nurses make all the difference in the world from what I've seen (more from family than my own short stay)

Yes, assistants. I spoke to he nurse. She is great. Had my prunes finally. 2 pitted prunes. Thankfully I like them. :heehee:

There is no cooking here! I have prunes. They've always worked before.
The pumpkin doesn't require cooking, comes in a can available at most grocery stores. Has no other ingredient, just pumpkin ...I add cinnamon! Good luck with the prunes, they're good too.

Hi @wcgirl Hope your pain is being managed properly now and those prunes are starting to work. I am almost four weeks post op on right hip and having left hip done four weeks from tomorrow (Thurs). I'm going to try the pumpkin that @1stSurgery recommends for my next post op adventures! Wishing you a comfortable night and a good day tomorrow.

:flwrysmile:

Hi @wcgirl . I'm glad you had a better night.

So you are in a rehab centre. Tell us more about that. How Long will you be in rehab for? It interesting comparing it with rehab in Germany.

I was basically satisfied. Rehab is purpose-bound (the activities depend on what condition or operation you've got/had). It's as a rule 3 weeks. I'm sure all nurses knew I had a hip replacement. Howewer, in my rehab centre in Wiesbaden, we had people with hip replacements, back conditions, and heart conditions together in one building (and also at one table for lunch). This "food thing" sounds familiar. The standard meal at lunch was typically German - usually some sort of meat with potatoes (until they come out of your ears), occasionally salad, but if you wanted pasta or vegetarian food, you could ask and it was available. Bread was served for supper with sausage, ham or cheese (again typcially German:)) - salads were available but ran out if you turned up a little later.

Maybe the building was a bit old but the personnel was very professional. And - this is where the German thoroughness comes in:

They asked me how far away parking facilities were from my work (I commute to work by car).

They asked me how many steps my stairs had/on which floor I live/on which floor my bedroom is in my house/building.

For people who go to rehab, they work out a plan for each individual (a sort of time-table like you would have at college). There are individual physiotherapy/gymnastics sessions, activity groups, i.e. light exercises in groups (not hard, only arm movements sitting down or going clump clump with your feet for example), you would get a few hours of gym training per week, i.e. on the machines or the exercise bike - which exercises on which machine would be specified on your timetable, they explain all about hip restrictions and how to work around the restrictions, they offer lectures on joints and arthritis. As soon as the incision no longer weeps, you would get aquagymnastics or water jogging classes in the inhouse indoor swimming pool, and in your free time you can go for walks outside or use the swimming pool.

I think the rehab programme was very good, but sometimes there were changes, and we had to turn up at the reception every morning between about 8:00 and 8:30 a.m. to find out whether we had changes in our timetable - bit of a drag.

Happy healing

Constanze

Last edited:
Hope the rest of the night went well.
I'll bet you're getting antsy to go home. Is today the big day?
Wishing you a day of comfort as you continue your healing journey.
@wcgirl

Better night thank you. I was at Hospital M&Tues moved to rehab Wed yesterday. I think I go home on Mon Tues. had like breakfast, PT soon that'll help metabolism.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016
Recent bookmarks