Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

I agree, I had such a great recovery, this clunking was so slight earlier. With the change to something more dramatic, it has me concerned. And with them thinking after 6 weeks they may need to go in to clean out and do a release on some tendons. Does anyone know if too tight tendons could causing both of these issues or also scar tissue.

I just read this from a medical site on issues:
"A healthy patella glides up and down in a groove over the femur. Sometimes the patella dislocates after surgery. This is most commonly associated with patellae that have been resurfaced with a plastic button, which can cause the patella to track differently or catch and “clunk” as it passes over the metal flange of the knee. In some cases, the tracking problem is severe enough to warrant revision surgery."

My patella was resurfaced and a button put on it. Now I am getting scared when I see revision surgery. @Josephine and @Jamie any advice is appreciated. The clunking is getting worst and causing me issues when walking reasonable distances for sure.
 
Hmmm...if it were me, I wouldn't even go to PT! I have zero medical training so feel free to ignore me, but I would insist that my OS take a 2nd / 3rd / 4th look around and / or I would get a second opinion rather than speculating on what the problem might or might not be.

Wishing you all the best, either way!
 
Point taken, but I decided to give my original PT a chance to at least listen. And see what she thought.

Well I was really surprised. First of all she said your right it shouldn't hurt. She started by restricting me to elevators or ramps, no stairs except the few into my home. Next she said your knee is inflamed and badly irritated. So no PT that puts weight or strain on it at all. She did a ROM on both knees, I'm 127 on my non-op and 120 on my operative knee. Then she had me straighten my leg, asked if that hurt or caused the sharp pain under the knee cap, it did not. Then she had me do straight leg lifts. I did fine, so I told her I was already doing 30 of them to help strengthen quads. She did the same for side and on my stomach. She had me do the same with the non-op knee, I hadn't been doing those, they needed it. She wanted strengthening evenly and balanced in the quads and hips. I got a new rubber strap to do leg spreads above the knee on each side. She then said lets work on this inflammation and swelling. I got the tens unit and iced for 20 min. Man that felt good.

So I had asked her after describing everything if she had other patients with this problem. She said yes. Then I asked, after telling her what the OS planned if this didn't work, what they did. She said we avoided it in each case with the regimen she was working me through. She said you really don't want them going back in unless all else fails.

Not a bad session. I do twice a week for 6 weeks?.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well that's certainly hopeful. You were doing PT on your own, weren't you? Do you think it's possible you were pushing yourself too hard -- I know my tendency is probably to push myself harder than someone else would? Hopefully you will make her record perfect and will avoid any further surgery too!

Roxie
 
Well, not sure there. Sure I made the most of my sessions and did what I could minus the weight stuff that was to much. No, this problem started when I went to the new PT, the pain started there, that's when the OS put me on PT on my own. Now I wonder if something happened there and I kept aggravating it. I was careful. I'm just not sure.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you went back to your old PT. What you described her doing made a lot of sense to me.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Yea, she even fussed at me for trying to do stairs while it was like this. They got me through after surgery and found a way I could make recovery. Made sense to go back to them.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It sounds like you're on the right track with this therapist. Resolve any inflammation first and then go from there. I'm glad to hear you've found someone with a sensible approach.

Just a reminder....be sure when you're posting a quote from an article that you provide a link to it. It always helps for us to be able to review the source and see the comments in context.
 
She and her husband run the PT Rehab/Health club. its a family business for them, so they try to be vary personable and friendly. They want you to stay after the rehab and use their facility. Plus they have a lot more knowledge than most PT. I heard them say things and assess things with me I never heard from the other PT place I went to. The husband did a walk evaluation on me and showed me how to correct my gait. They have a really impressive facility with lots of equipment and machines since they are also trying to fill a health club role.
Fortunately I have a portable tens unit at home, so I have started using it with the ice for my at home PT.
 
I told her I was already doing 30 of them to help strengthen quads.
That's quite a lot to be doing at under 12 weeks, you know. No exercise should be done with that many reps as it can cause the very kind of issues you are experiencing. Too much of anything is never a good idea.
The husband did a walk evaluation on me and showed me how to correct my gait.
Poor gait is probably the most common cause of pain. It is good to hear he is being that thorough.

And truly, there are heaps of issues that are just inflammatory which can be addressed in a non-surgical way.
I would be very leery of letting a surgeon start poking around on a TKR knee if I were you. It's almost certainly not necessary, specially not when I hear of comments like this
And with them thinking after 6 weeks they may need to go in to clean out and do a release on some tendons.
I get rather disturbed when I hear of surgeons wanting to 'go in and take a look' like it's nothing. It's not nothing and I strongly recommend that anyone in this situation take their time considering this, maybe even with a second opinion.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I agree with your recommendations. I think I will cut back on reps. I defiantly don't want them going back in. I had already started looking for another OS in case I needed a second opinion. I will work with the PT to see if we can get this straightened out through conservative means.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Trapped and forced to walk.
Well I went for a simple walk to
The post office here on campus. Got down to where a co-worker told me there should be a break in the construction they are doing across campus. Turns out there was no break and I had to walk several
blocks down to an intersection where there was a break across the construction zone, then walk all the way back to get back around. My knee was not very happy with me. I had the ball of cotton feeling all afternoon and last night.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ouch @wberry. Be careful. And I know personally it's blistering hot in Kansas right now too. That won't help matters.

Is it feeling any better today?

Roxie
 
Yes, I went home and iced and elevated for about two hours after work.
Still felt a little stiff this morning, but better. Next time I will simply drive.
And you are not kidding about hot.
 
I am seriously thinking about getting a folding bike to keep in my trunk in case stuff like this happens.
I frequently have to go across campus to meetings and a folding bike would be awesome. I can do a recumbent fine now, wonder if i can ride a regular bike yet? or is that to much like doing stairs right now?
 
If you have a bike that doesn't have the cross bar, that would be good to start out with. You might have some challenges with the bar and it does make reacting in an emergency more difficult. Be careful!
 
I am seriously thinking about getting a folding bike to keep in my trunk in case stuff like this happens.
I frequently have to go across campus to meetings and a folding bike would be awesome. I can do a recumbent fine now, wonder if i can ride a regular bike yet? or is that to much like doing stairs right now?
I am ahead of you by some weeks have static bike at lowest seat setting and bike happily but still cannot ride my road bike not sure if it is panic holding me back or what


20/01/2015
 
Had two boggles yesterday. The difference now is I catch them and the don't hurt. I wend down to about a 45 degree bend on one. It's almost like the quick drop you have going down stairs on the operative knee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom