Guest viewing is limited

TKR VW's new joint venture

You are getting through some good milestones! I'm very close to where you are right now. My PT told me that they're scheduling me for 3 more weeks (2X/week, 1hour each; I also get a half hour of massage with masseuse on staff 1X each week), and then they are thinking I will be "discharged," with follow-up occurring at some point.

I agree with you "keeping your hand (or knee!) in" with PT...I'm considering doing a maintenance program they offer, where you pay X (gotta find out what that is!) for 10 sessions. You have the use of their equipment and their PT assistants, to make sure you are doing the exercises correctly. The assistant who is working with you can consult the PT for advice on upping the level of activities, changing them, or doing new ones. I may try this, as it will keep me honest in terms of keeping my body moving. While ADLs are fine, I tend to get involved on the internet or painting and sit for hours at a time without moving much. I see this maintenance program as a sort of assisted bridge into using an athletic facility, which I have yet to find. (My previous one closed without notice--seems to be a problem with these businesses. I hate it when that happens!)
 
I like the idea of a PT bridge @Polkadot and I think that is what I am doing now with my remaining visits as they don't have any sort of maintenance program and I know I need to keep working on balance, coordination, and strength on my own. It is really important to do the exercises correctly, with good form, so that we don't cause additional issues with hips, backs, etc. Early on I was asking my PT about doing more at home and he warned about "a bad case of telephone" where the exercises end up very different from what was first presented in the PT session. So I take copious notes, with cues, take photos, and ask at the next session if I have a question about an exercise. I love PT so this is a challenging transition.
 
I love the "telephone" allusion! I wonder if today's kids would get it? I wish I had done the notes and photos thing. Maybe I will in these last few weeks.
 
I held on to both railings and managed to walk foot over foot downstairs today. :happydance:(I cannot do it holding only on one side, but that will come in time, right?)
Congrats on all of your huge ginormous amazing accomplishments!! Kneerah!! :wowspring::yay::happydance::spin::yes!:Going downstairs holding onto one or maybe even 0 railings:yikes: is a great goal! I started off holding both, and sometimes still do, especially when tired or a little achy so I don't sacrifice form, but much of the time don't hold any. Of course I have been known to let my hand rest on top of the railing and let it glide down, as gliding is all the rage these days!:yes:
 
I am still having trouble with going down the stairs foot over foot so good for you! My stairs are curved so holding both sides is not an option. I either have to hold the rail or slide my hand down the wall. It is one of the accomplishments I am very much looking forward to. Going up foot over foot is not a problem although I am slow!
 
Great news about doing stairs! Foot over foot isn't easy until the leg muscles get back up to strength. One thing that's helped me is simply doing the stairs deliberately, using my leg muscles to lift rather than hauling on the rails (going up). Going down, I rely on the rail for balance, but make sure my feet are properly placed (I tend to angle to the side) and my legs do the work of supporting my body going down. I make the muscles do their job. After a few weeks I've noticed stairs are becoming much easier. I'm having to think less while going up and down, and it's taking less effort.
 
Sorry I didn't specifically mention your accomplishment of going downstairs foot over foot. It's one of my not-yet-realized goals, so I did notice and applaud!:yay: (I'm trying not to be jealous!). :giggle:
 
I also still hold on to the rails. It's not that I'm weak, I'm cautious!
 
Wow, just look at all your recovery milestones! You've come a long way @VW54! And going down the stairs, "normal style," ? KNEERAH!!!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks to all.
I am smiling ear to ear!
Today I tried again to see if it wasn't a fluke.
I managed 10 out of the 15. Then the grip/claw/ tight feeling was too much. We must listen to our bodies so I didn't push myself.
At the spa today a mini milestone: I could climb 3 steps up underwater without holding on to anything! Did that twice. The water level is first shoulder level then breast level (which we know varies body to body:heehee:) then waist level. For the next 3 I had to grab railing.
I will follow advice and only do steps foot over foot if I can do them properly. If I find myself twisting my body I will stop, turn around, and continue down backwards and wait another day.
An aside story: DH dropped me off at metro station2 days ago. The lift to take me and my rather heavy swim/ rehab bag on wheels was not working. Not a soul around to ask for help. I grabbed bag and cane in one hand and holding on to railing walked the 30 steps down to the platform backwards.
A young woman coming up the steps looked at me funny. I said to her:" works better for me this way. ":yes:
 
:wowspring:Way to go! Well done on the stairs both in and out of the water! You are so right - good form is paramount. I tend to forget sometimes as I am so eager to try a new skill but have been really intentional with walking and stair climbing and biking to use good form. Sure don't want other aches and pains in addition to this :censored: knee. Love the backwards story (and great T-shirt slogan to add to our collection.).
 
that must have been quite the sight seeing you going down the stairs of the metro backwards with your heavy swim/rehab bag. good for you getting the job done!:thumb: you sure are making some good progress. just wondering, do you wear those rubber watershoes in the pool? i found in my niece's pool, i was worried about slipping on the stairs.
 
I walked down steps backwards for at least 25 years! When people looked at me funny, I just smiled and told them if I fell, I'd fall up instead of down! I have finally learned to do them the right way!
 
@liam2015 No, don't wear any water shoes. My feet have plenty of calluses to give me a good grip.:snork: At the spa one is required to wear bath slippers but at the same time there are some places there that are very slippery. I walk ever so slowly there. I wear my croc slippers.
I understand my mum so much better now...how she walked with her bad knees. Wish I could tell her.
 
I love your backwards "Stairway to Metro," story! Talk about a victory! You rock VW54!:thumb:
 
Oh my, I has a lot to catch up on!! Your wedding pictures were stunning. You looked so happy and dancing 5 dances all I can say is wow!!

I understand wanting to stay with some maintenance PT I think that's really a great idea. Your story of walking downstairs made be both happy and sad. Sad because no one helped you, but I laughed out loud picturing you going down backwards.

I've made some good progress with my range but I can't walk up or down stairs step over step with or without railing! I think a lot of it for me is strength. That's great progress, kneerah! You've had an exciting last week!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow! Congrats on your walking downstairs normally and for going backwards when you had to take the Metro. You have me beat! I must "run" to catch up to you. :happydance:
 
Not much change: managed 12 of 15 steps down again. Was wearing my earth shoes mentioned in @kmak81230 s thread and walked to within shop and back home in them. Did take cane as a security blanket plus lots of people walking their dogs at that time. I walked slowly but shoes felt good and only back of my knee twinged everyso often.
Had a very hard time falling asleep. Not the knee.
Our 100 year old auntie was in her last hours. Just before I went to bed, my DH, who was with her in Salzburg, called to say she had laboured breathing. Auntie died early this morning. Have always had a special connection with her. It was expected but still we are all sad nonetheless. She was a Grand Dame in many senses of the word. Am happy to have shared a great part of my life with her.
 
Last edited:

Members online

Back
Top Bottom