Guest viewing is limited

TKR VW's new joint venture

It's exactly at the cross of C,D LF3,LF4 so just "behind" the patella. At the back of the knee it's probably the popliteus acting up again D, E LB4.
Like this?

[Bonesmart.org] VW's new joint venture


The red spot is probably something like Pes Anserine and MPFL pain
As for the blue, that is not in the popliteal fossa but would more likely be Hamstring stretches or compartment syndrome.

the pain is very bad when I pretend to try to get more extension ( though I am at 0)
Why would you try to get more extension when you're already at zero? Makes no sense to me!
 
Thanks @Josephine. Sigh no...I am not aiming to get more extension. I was trying to explain when I get the pain. I get it when I am stretching in bed when I wake up. And it's the same move as if one tried to press knee into mattress.
The other pain behind the knee is exactly where the bend is on the outside part of knee but deep inside. My physiotherapist told me it was the popliteus(?). I had it 3 weeks ago, it got a bit better after 4 days, so I was guessing I have it again, now the last 3 days when all I was dping was ADL. Will give it even more rest than planned. Difficult as so many people expect me to be able to do more 10 weeks post op... Oh well, more explaining in store. :-)

Am elevating and icing as I write.
 
@liam2015, I too loved Hystersisters! I found them when I learned I had endometrial cancer and needed surgery. They were super helpful to me in terms of information, though I never posted there. When I decided I needed to take the plunge into replacing my knees, I looked for an online resource that would be as good as that one--and guess what? I found one. :roseshwr:
 
@VW54, I sure hope you find out what's causing your pain. I had the pain when pressing the knee into the mattress in my left knee before surgery. I still have it, to a far lesser degree, now. In my case, it's the hamstrings being shortened and as they stretch back to normal the pain is going away. So I hope your pain is something that simple and easy to put right. Going to rehab may have irritated something that wasn't irritated before.
 
Hi VW: I also have had the behind the knee pain - my PT diagnosed it as the popliteus muscle - I have not felt the "Pop" muscle strain in over a week (I have been babying it by not doing the extension stretches or overstriding my walking) - if that's what it is behind the knee then you will need to back off any aggressive stretches - the long walking strides would sometimes cause it to flare up for me. Currently the tendons at the back of my knee are feeling the stretching that I've started again to improve my extension - in a good way though. As @Susie has reminded us, these are tight, strong tendons, along with a big, tight hamstring so if you are like me with poor extension prior to surgery (both my knees were probably 5 degrees for years and I rarely stretched), then it will take some work to stretch them out -- and also balancing not overstretching to the point of strain.
 
i have also felt that pain in the back of my knee when stretching upon wakening and forgetting about my operated knee.
 
@VW54, whatever the cause, rest, ice and elevation for a few days should go a long way toward alleviating it? I certainly hopeso! This recovery if full of detours and dangerous curves for all of us. You are not alone!:SUNsmile:
 
Hope you can find the patience to baby that pop thing.
 
Just a short report. Tomorrow it's 10 weeks since post op. 2 weeks rehab and also will be getting check-up Xray.
I have been sooo busy last 2 days and today at the wedding (DD *19th) planner meeting had my leg down too long. (Bending hurts as I write)
Rehab people will get to know me as the resolute woman. Hehe. Biking is going fine there.Water walking too.
Bye for now: bedtime for me, plus another warm muggy night predicted again.
PS: car lock finally repaired today! 8 blinkety days. Imagine!
 
Holy cow - your life is so busy - rehab camp and a wedding!!! You are resolute!!! Glad the car lock got fixed.
 
Got the latest Xrays of op knee (standing, side and front view) Xray doctor interpretation has me a bit worried (there I go again!) It says it is a well placed implant, well cemented and anchored yet there is evidence of bruising and internal bleeding.

-?-

It might explain why I have had more pain last 4 to 5 days making certain moves etc and the pain I asked @Josephine and @Celle about?

I called the doctor's office but now again facing an extended holiday weekend. I don't expect any call back before Wednesday.

I felt miserable early last night but took Tramal drops and went to bed early 9pm. Am all better now.

Bought myself a collapsible cane today too. €25. The ones on Amazon may have been less expensive but they don't have good descriptions. Frustrating!

Have still a few things to do for DDs wedding next Saturday. ...and then all the household stuff.

Ugh.( every flat surface has something on it aughhh)

Off to read more threads now.
 
Yes! That has me baffled too! I read accompanying letter out loud to my husband and took out X ray to look at it. My first words were: "how can you see bruising behind the patella on this? Furthermore, how can you see any bruising or bleeding on an xray? " His biology knowledge is far less than mine. I just asked him if what it said in German is what I understood to be bruising/bleeding. Affirmative.
So...here i am perplexed.
Oh well. Will ice and elevate and not do too much else.
 
As I wrote elsewhere, we have a family member who was an orthopedist at a children's hospital. I took this recent photo to show. I can share with you the numb area. Hasn't changed very much at all since surgery. The numbers are for where it still hurts the most. @nensi, you said you were interested to see what I had to show my OS in July. The red spot to the right of incision/scar is where the drainage tube was. Still hasn't gone, and its been almost 11 weeks. hmmm.

Other news, am on the end spurt of getting things, (mostly games) ready for DD's wedding. Still have to decorate my hat. If it turns out well; shall wear it, though I'm probably going to be the only one wearing one. haha. Still have to sow the blue garter.
Hope to manage the wedding day itself. Ceremony is at 4 p.m. and party starts at 6 p.m. Am taking my lightweight stool with me to plonk my leg on or to sit on if there’s a longer wait at any time and no other seats around. If I am tired, I will go to another room there and snooze. I hope the weather is good and not too hot. Hope my leg is not as stiff as it is now. I want to try at least 2 waltzes, one w DH and one w new son.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] VW's new joint venture
    numb area Aug 2017 .jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 177
11 p.m. on a Sunday night. Haven't done anything other than ADL and reading sometimes at table sometimes in bed and my knee and ankle got very swollen and quite warm to the touch this evening. I haven't a clue why. Past three days no PT at all. Were it week 3 or 4, I would imagine it was due too much walking around the house, but now that's so little. Not even 300 meters worth, at the most! Yes, yes I know there are setbacks. But this is the second time now. Last Sunday same thing. 3 days no PT ( rehab) and then my knee is worse than say after one day no rehab.
It's swollen behind the knee but I have checked not Baker's cyst. So swollen behind knee that I can't bend it more than 90. So a bad setback IMO.

On top of this we now have plumbing problems.
Seems to be the main pipes are blocked up and when we or upstairs neighbours run water, it bubbles up our bathtub and sink. Oh the stench !! yuck. And this coming Tuesday is a religious holiday so many people are making a long weekend out of this. Many firms might not even be open tomorrow. Hope DH can be more forceful getting this solved. My German is good...but locals will hear an accent and not react appropriately. SIGH.
If it's not one thing, it's another. ( Building is only 50 years old. )
 
I hope were able to get your plumbing problems solved quickly. I can't wait to hear about your daughter's wedding :)
 
Hello
I don't want you to be alarmed, but I have had thee blood clots in the last five years and maybe you should check that out right away. Mine were always behind and just below my knee. I had RTKR July 19th with a blood clot three days later. An ultrasound will spot it. My lower leg was hot, swollen and red. Better to be safe. Ask your doctor tomorrow.
 
Thanks@earlgrey. I had a half way check up by the doctor (ND) who runs the rehab and she said my problems are due to the swelling I have behind the knee. Of course I said I get them every evening and after rehab. She said: "it's to be expected, you're building up muscles that have not been in use over a year or more."
I don't think it is a blood clot...of course I can't be absolutely sure. Am waiting for OS to call me back.
The swelling responds well to icing and elevation.

@knit2tog Plumbing problems solved very quickly. Plumber called by house association management(translation from German) and with an implement called a snake all blockages cleared. DH even cleaned the entire tub.!

Future SIL called to ask if I would be able to dance a waltz at wedding. I said I would try.
In addition to fold up stool, am taking cold packs in a mini cooler. Hope restaurant can put them in the freezer should I need them. It'll be a looooong night. Cake isn't cut until 11 p.m. or midnight by custom here.
So after 11 weeks post op I can definitely say doc's prediction was right: I would not be worse off than I was beginning of May. A tiny bit better in time for Dds wedding.

I have 3 more weeks at outpatient rehab. I like the recumbent bike. Am up to 4 km/ or 18 minutes.
The spin bikes ' saddles hurt my behind after 5 minutes. LOL.
I like the water therapy a lot. Pity it's only 20 minutes. I go to the spa afterwards on Thursdays with DH. Love the many different whirlpools.
The other exercises. Eh...I do them strictly when PT is watching...otherwise take it easy on self.
I can go down shallow steps underwater but not yet otherwise.(go down backwards here at home)
My implant still clonks every time I raise it to make a step which in turn means I often find myself walking peglegged to avoid that. And so, alas, no change in that aspect. Same for clamp/ tight bandage feeling. Still very much there and gets worse the longer I walk.
More news, hopefully w photo w newlywed couple on Sunday.:loveshwr:
 
I wrote on the bug and techy thread that I can only read the TKR Recovery thread when I am not signed in. Which means I cannot reply to anybody's threads right now as I only have access to comment on my own thread. Hope it gets resolved soon.( @Jamie , FYI)
Miss not being able to participate.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom