Guest viewing is limited

TKR VW's new joint venture

My deepest sympathy to you in your loss. Your Auntie surely lived a long life. I bet you have many wonderful memories with her that you will always treasure. Hugs, Helen
 
So sorry to hear about your aunt VW! ((Hugs)). It's so tough to lose those special people in our lives.
 
@VW54 I am so sorry for your loss. :prayer: for you and your family. Even tho expected it is hard when we lose a loved one. We don't so much grieve for them, we grieve for ourselves because we miss them. Wow 100 years old. What a life she must gave had.

Your stair accomplishment challenged me to try strong after step. I actually did it one time, holdingbon of course. The next time my brain didn't want to help. I just stood there thinking about it, ha ha. Thanks for your posts and sharing your progress! It can happen:dancy::loveshwr:
 
My deepest sympathies to you on the loss of your special Auntie @VW54. It's never easy to lose a loved one and though she had an incredibly long life, you will all miss her. How lucky you all were to have had her in your lives for so long. (((HUGS))):console2:
 
Thanks to you all for the kind words. It has been several rather hectic days with many of us, esp. my DH making arrangements for the announcement, service and burial. ...and, and, and. So much to think about. phone calls, e-mails sms going back and forth. Many of you know how it is.
Most persons attending will be traveling from out of town, so that too has to be considered. Not sure yet if my DD and SIL will be attending. They get back from their honeymoon the day before, and that = 1 day travel.
Auntie spoiled our daughter rotten! and us too. As a gift for her birth, she promised to cover the cost of Pampers (<-or the like) for as long as she needed them. (3 and a half years worth!) She paid for our daughter's piano lessons too: 5 years long. There is so much more. She will remain in our memories a long time.

knee (k)news: Had horrible pain at one point last night. It was when I tried to turn around, similar to the arthritic pain I used to have. And the night before, pain that wouldn't let me fall asleep until I relented and took some Tramol drops. ...even though I "only" did ADL stuff. Perhaps too much standing and or walking putting things away. ? I don't know, really. I skipped rehab today because I had to catch up on sleep, deep sleep, that is, and because I noticed that on Monday I simply was not "with it" plus tummy troubles due to my own stupidity: had consumed high lactose ice-cream treats and what not all. Maybe it was sorrow coming out in my weak spot.

Curiously, I didn't wear the earth shoes on Sunday and that's the night I had more pain. I seem to have new varicose veins where the popliteus muscle attaches to the back of knee. I do have some fine varicose veins in the ankle regions, so this thick one is new. Not sure if I should worry. Decided not to.
 
My sympathies on the loss of your Auntie. She was a lovely woman and your love for her shines through every word.

Sometimes pain or swelling increases a little for no reason we can find. Might be the weather. Might be they disliked a position, or the exercise. When that happens I rest, elevate and ice more than usual hoping to settle it down. So far that's always worked. Sounds like you're doing much the same, and that's probably the best way to approach it for now. You've been doing well, so keep looking forward!
 
You've really had a very hectic few days VW54 and are simultaneously mourning the loss of your beloved Auntie. I think perhaps you may have just overdone a little bit of everything. Wise decision to skip Rehab and just rest! Like many here, I follow the Rx that Susie just gave when I hit a rough patch. Hopefully, this will set you back on the right path very soon. Hang in there!
 
Tomorrow, on the 31st is my 3 month kneeversary.
Just today my DH met a an ex-school colleague who had a TKR just about exactly 2 years ago. He is a few years younger and very sporty, trim, fit etc. He told DH that he felt very good after 4 months and went back to all his sports ( ? don't know which):chinstroke:at 6 months. My DH mentioned to him that the clunks and mechanical feel still bothers me a lot. His reply astounded my H. Namely, he too was very bothered at first, but after a whole year, he got used to it.:skep:
:scare:
a. whole. year.
OMG.
no, :thud:I didn't want to know this, and now that I do, I cannot not think about it. :mute:curses)

Today at rehab it was only 20 minutes/4 Km on the recumbent bike and then we had a "talk" about pain. How it ensues and what the psychological effects can be on our selves, on our partners and friends.
Then we had meditation and again I almost fell asleep. :sleeep:

Tomorrow is a diagnostic day at rehab. I only know they do an EEG and measure blood pressure. Perhaps they check how much "better" I am re walking, getting up, sitting down and steps up and down:treadmill:. I will let you know.
Only one more week left.:beer: But when I think about all what we have planned for after that, I get tired :yawn:thinking about the logistics...and they include taking care of my MIL as she readjusts to living in a big house without her sister. We all want to move her here...or better phrased, we want her to want to move here.

I notice on my PC that we don't have our well-known membership status nor level of entries mentioned but our age is double.
 
VW54, I'm sorry you found that info from your DH's friend distressing, but...I'll tell you what I said to someone else the other day. I am much more concerned about all the crunchy, ouchy crepitus coming out of my natural knee! Oh yeah; pfft! The new knee? Nah. It doesn't hurt and there's nothing we can do about it, so why fret? It took me about 14 months before I actually *forgot* I had a fake hip, so if my knee follows suit, I'll be happy.

Great to hear you are just about done with Rehab! Cheers!:cheers: Congratulations on your 3 month Kneeversary as well!:happydance:

Uh-oh, sounds like soon you're going to have a lot on your hands with MIL? Does she live far away? Is she in good health?
 
@VW54 i am way behind in my reading so I am sorry to not have added my condolences. Having such a special person as your Auntie in our lives is such a blessing and losing her will definitely leave a void. I am sorry that you all will miss her. It sounds as though she had a wonderful life and loved to share!
Great work on the stairs and sorry you have suffered a bit of a set back. I'm sure with some rest, elevation and ice you will soon move forward again!
 
Our ages are doubled????? I promise I am not 118 yet.:mcoffee: I resigned myself to one year a few weeks ago - it makes me think I'm doing really well since I'm only a third of the way there :tada:.

When I first get to spin class I notice the clicking and popping with each pedal stroke - then the music starts - it's quite loud - and I forget all about it. It doesn't hurt so I'm trying to dismiss it. Glad you are almost done with rehab.
 
If our ages doubled, I'm guessing we wouldn't care what our knees were doing, would we!
Happy 3 month knee-versary!!!
 
oh, I see now -- just listed twice not double the age - you had me worried there. Although the stiffness each morning when I get up makes me feel like 118 :loll:
 
Today was mixed bag at rehab. Ergonometry and EEG...I wonder what that would be in English. In any case while pedaling a stationary bike, was supposed to get to 60 revolutions per minute, I couldn't, only to 55 or so, mostly 50, the heart gets monitored as does blood pressure. Well the electrodes refused to stick (suction cups) and so it measured poorly, but the part when it worked showed a good rate. (I was never worried, as the same had been done pre op 3 months ago) the blood pressure sky-rocketed to 190 /100 and then 10 min after the pedaling, only went down to 160/90. I measure at home with a doctor tested device and my BP is always ok. I was supposed to do this for 15 minutes but stopped after 8 because I was getting light-headed. That saddle was so hard on my behind too.
I was told to make appt w cardiologist for a 24 hr measuring device. OK with me. Maybe my morning meds don't work after 12 noon.

Then, a new PT showed up and watched me walk. He noticed slight limp, asked me why. I told him about the clonking. The chap put his hand on my knee and walked crouching along side me 10 steps and said: "Oh yes! I see what you mean. I feel it, it's always on the outstretching part of your step, wow!" and then "It's because your ham strings are weak." So I got a new set of very easy to do "exercises" to strengthen the hamstrings.

He had me sit up on a very high bench and started to pull on my op leg. I told him to stop and he did. He said he just wanted to see if it clonked in the sitting position as well. (uhm.. Yes, but only if I try to shimmy over, or when I just raise my behind while sitting) Confirmed his suspicion. He did however say some patients always have the clonking but get used to it (as above, yesterday's post) Again, I wonder IF I will be one of those persons.

He did give me a tip on how to help my neck pain. Have to teach DH how to put pressure on the right spot.

Regarding funeral for Auntie (Thanks also @Canada35, @SusieShoes ) It's now for the 8th, so after rehab is finished. My MIL is 96, lives in Salzburg, a 3 hr drive or 3 hr train/bus ride away, and has had a difficult time letting others (her children, the other nephews and nieces) make some decisions about the funeral and kept changing her mind driving everyone to despair. The grand nephews and nieces have stepped in and funny enough, that is ok with her. She has poor hearing and imagines us saying things we didn't and then gets mad at us. She cannot walk more than 20 steps at a time. We are trying to convince her to switch to a walker, but she hates the idea of it.
My MIL and her sister had lady who lived with them and watched over them both together with various visiting nurses for bathing, wound care, etc. Most of this was financed by Auntie. Things will have to change. House will have to be sold, eventually. Live-in carer might be affordable until December. I am staying out of this financial discussion. But I know it will affect us if my DH feels obligated to step in and co-finance her care. Oh well.
 
Last edited:
Your PT sounds as though it's going really well. Certainly you have a great attitude toward it: take what you can use, and leave the rest. Ham strings are so important to recovery. Among other things, they're the key to good extension. Just how they affect clonking, I haven't a clue... but I do know that as my walking has given me better extension, and strengthened those hamstrings and the surrounding muscles also, the clonking in my knees has become less. My right no longer clonks at all (it's the better knee) and the left clonks some, but not nearly as much. It does do what your knee does when I sidle over while sitting sometimes, or in bed. Even the right will do that on rare occasions.

I feel for you about your MIL. I have my FIL living with me and it's been much like what you're describing. He didn't want to use a walker, but we made him. After using it for a little bit, he realized he walked more securely when using it. Consider helping your MIL "bling out" her walker with useful things like purse hooks (I used one of these on mine for outings), a basket for carrying things like drinks or snacks, or a cute tag with her name. If she can personalize it, perhaps she will like it better. As for finances... I know what you mean. I leave that aspect to Mr. Shoes and his sister. If caring for MIL starts to cut into your own finances, though... that's a tough one.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom