TKR VW's new joint venture

I just googled Quark, (not readily available here) and according to Wikipedia, it is often used in Switzerland as an alternative to ice for reducing swelling. The advantage over ice is that it isn't as cold, thereby reducing the possibility of soft tissue damage and supposedly, remains cool for a longer period of time. I'll stick with ice, but if you are having good results, that's...er...*cool*, lol!

I'm eager to see if this quark thing works. I mean, I've seen some amazing folk medicine in my day, especially in Bolivia (where they would pack the joint with a poultice of coca leaves, and people swear it works). I can't get coca leaves here, but I can get messy cheesy stuff. If it works, I'll try it. :smile2:

Placebo or not, if the pain stops, that's a good thing :loveshwr:

The human mind is an amazing thing.

Hahahaha, @VW54, too funny about the pillow escapade ! I could so see that in an "I Love Lucy" episode. Good that you kept your sense of humor about it.
And about the quark, honestly I'd rather eat it then smear it on my knee but whatever works I guess. But I think you are right, lathering the stuff on cold and then staying immobile, with knee elevated probably would have the same effect as with an ice pack.
Now, if you want, you could do an experiment and make some measurements.... just kidding ! I have been away from my science too long already!

Just remember, ladies, that if you're going to try putting quark (or any other remedy ) on your knee, do make sure that the incision is totally healed first, with no open areas or scabs. If you do it any sooner, you could risk introducing infection.

My last home visit PT was here just now.
I reported how I had been doing w all sorts and what I had noticed with my gait and bouncy ball exercises and stationery bike. Basically it's something that I noticed 3 days ago and wanted her to confirm before I write about it here:
If I hold my feet perfectly parallel and roll back and forth on the ball, if I hold the ball of my foot slightly more inwards on the bike pedal say just 5 to 10 degrees, if I stand up a tiny bit more "pigeon toed" than my normal more splayed outward stance and If I pretend to walk on a narrow plank there's hardly any clonking!
But that's not my natural way of holding my leg.
She tested all exercises with me holding leg more straight or foot slightly more turned. (really very slight : like abovementioned 5 to 6°) and she too noticed hardly any clonking.
This leads me to believe there is a minimal misalignment of my implant! The doctor cannot possibly know how I walk w my fat thighs and using computer assisted placement, put implant as the bone is built. She said after Xrays get taken next week or over next, and OS is back he might want me to get an MRI but even s! . I do not want another operation on this leg. I would rather learn to hold my leg ever so slightly straighter. And I shall walk as if on a narrow path from now on.:)
In addition to this with her at my side I tried going steps down foot over foot. Managed 3 x but she said, maybe in a few days I can try 4 and so on with a pause of a day in between.
I like the idea.

VW54, I practice a LOT of what you refer to as "plank" walking. I call it "The Field Sobriety Test," but it's the same thing. I believe it forces us to place more weight on the OP foot, and that's a good thing.

FWIW, my kneecap was realigned and this has forced me to walk differently. Finally, it's beginning to feel natural, but it takes time.

Naturally, I know nothing about the state of your implant, but if in your shoes, I'd try not to think about a possible misalignment....just saying. Why borrow trouble? Wait until you have the X-Ray, and if it's misaligned, there will be plenty of time to fret then. I say this as a former Fretmaster.:SUNsmile:

My auntie called me a "worry wort" and even made a big pink pompom with googly eyes on it and told me "this worry wort will now take over."
I was in high school then. Part of my nature hm.?
Yeah...I'll be walking planks. Some call it the "model runway walk"

I'm going to weigh in on this one...you are familiar with the Murphy's law?
"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong" and then there are corollaries such as "if more than one thing can go wrong, the worst of the things will go wrong."
You could apply it to worrying, or then again - you could LET IT GO.

I also work on the "plank" walk as I think it helps to stretch out my non-straightening leg and hamstring and forces me to focus on correct gait. As a fellow worrier I can sympathize with your distress over the clonking. My PT is on to my constant worries and now, as a joke, asks me first thing "so what is Kathleen worrying about today?" I also know that it is possible to change your gait so unless the xrays show something misaligned that will be problematic for functionality in the long run I think you are on the right path if you focus on walking with a straighter leg/foot gait for the time being.

If I hold my feet perfectly parallel and roll back and forth on the ball, if I hold the ball of my foot slightly more inwards on the bike pedal say just 5 to 10 degrees, if I stand up a tiny bit more "pigeon toed" than my normal more splayed outward stance and If I pretend to walk on a narrow plank there's hardly any clonking!
But that's not my natural way of holding my leg.
She tested all exercises with me holding leg more straight or foot slightly more turned. (really very slight : like abovementioned 5 to 6°) and she too noticed hardly any clonking.
This leads me to believe there is a minimal misalignment of my implant! The doctor cannot possibly know how I walk w my fat thighs and using computer assisted placement, put implant as the bone is built. She said after Xrays get taken next week or over next, and OS is back he might want me to get an MRI but even s! . I do not want another operation on this leg. I would rather learn to hold my leg ever so slightly straighter.
Forgive me, but I think you're over-thinking this.

It's quite normal for your knee to clunk after a knee replacement. Usually, it goes away, as muscles and tendons tighten up again.
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

My right knee clunked for 5 years after my revision TKR and in the past 6 months it has stopped doing so. My knee has always worked perfectly.

There's no need to think about needing additional surgery. Wait and see if the clunking stops as your knee heals.

But ...
@Celle
I notice the difference. The PT noticed the difference. It's often written on this forum that we know our knees and can tell what does them good or harm.
I agree that it's a healing process and all might change as muscles get stronger. HOWEVER
(and I capatalized that purposely, not shouting just for emphasis...) I find it difficult to exercise, just to merely walk do steps, get up, sit down actually everything with the obvious clunk with almost every move. If that's so, how can I manage exercises to strengthen muscles let alone go back to enjoying life and not always regretting this move. Yes there are better times but so few. Yes its only been 8 weeks... andwe shouldn't compare but I read from others on this forum throughout the years who are a lot happier with their knee and whatever clonking they have hardly hinders them. Like with you. You write it took 6 months.
But it didn't prevent you from continued progress.
It feels like a piece of metal that bends then unbends and at times it feels like it's going to bend the wrong way. I repeat myself: it's keeping me from enjoying life. I had hoped things would be better by now.
I know we are supposed to be positive on this forum. Right now I cannot, and am dreading ...overthinking what might all happen now that I am about to start outpatient rehab.
Yes. I am still a worry wort after all these years.

See how it goes. If it doesn't improve over time, maybe you could ask for more investigations, to establish if the implant is loose. You may even need to ask for a second opinion.

If the worst comes to the worst and you do need to have a revision, make sure that it's done by a surgeon who specializes in difficult knees, and not by your original surgeon.

But I'm jumping ahead there - it will probably not be necessary.

Mine clunked loud enough for my roommate to hear it. Now, it has quieted down some. I think yours will, too. At least I hope so!

@VW54, does it hurt when the new knee clunks? If not, let it clunk and go about your business. If you've mentioned it to your surgeon and he isn't worried, you've done all you can for now.

Keep walking and see if the knee quiets down as it gets stronger.

See all the others who have survived this? We will get there too.

Hello after my first day at outpatient rehab.
Almost 11 p.m. and I fell asleep after dinner, a 1 hour unintentional nap.
It took us 35 min across town to get there by car. Public transport means 1 hour 10 minutes if all works well and I don't miss a bus connection.
Filled out forms, and was shown around the place. It's quite new as is the outpatient programme. Then they gave me my 6 week programme listing activities by day. Then came a one hour talk and check up by local orthopedist who knows my OS from student times. He also timed me in how long it takes me to get up from a chair, without aid 5 meters and back and sit down again. Also how long to go down 10 steps. The latter very long as I'm doing baby steps. Also how long to walk 4 stadizm laps on a machine. I was tired and achy by then. 10 pause only to change into sports clothes.
Then came the sports physiotherapist. Similar Qs as Orthopedist but he wanted to see how much I could do in terms of which muscles were working and how strong. He measured Flexion of 110. Same as My OS last week guestimated. my other leg only gets 125 ( fat thighs) so I am almost there in that aspect. Both kept asking me where I had pain and when and to scale pain 1 to 10.
But pain levels change depending on the time and what I did before! I said that so many times to them but they need now numbers for their statistics health plan society...whatever. checked my balance and I guess he was impressed. Said no need to work on that.
Then he took me to the room with all the apparatuses. I first did leg lifts and bends at the bar then a machine where one pushes a big square away and it slides ones knees to one's chest 30x that. 10 minutes on the bike w special adjustments to make them easy on my knees.
Then hurry to put on swimsuit for water therapy 30 min. What a strange sensation that was... I could "feel" the implant ...and the tight feeling lessened a bit, albeit only while in warm water.
Then hurried for relaxation technique. only two of us at that time. I was ravished for food since I had not eaten since 11 and it was 6 p.m. When the psychologist put on the ambience music and told us to relax muscles etc, I fell asleep. Woke myself up with a snort!
Begged DH to stop at fast food place for dinner. He didn't protest this time. Good move hm?
Tomorrow I have water therapy again and coordination exercises scheduled as well as a lecture on nutrition.
The programme director cancelled TENS because she said I didn't need it if I was doing all the other build up exercises. There is more to tell but too involved to tell now . The woman is a nut case...but that's a whole nother story. You should have seen the Orthopedic doctor roll his eyes and heard his sarcastic comments once she left the room. But they were in low German...in any case...I'm going to go back to sleep.
More news as they happen. BTW, It was easy to ignore clonking today.

Oh my goodness, I'm afraid you've done way too much today. I hope you don't pay for it tonight and tomorrow. That PT sure had you jump in with both feet. If you have pain, you'll have to let those tissues calm down before going back. Please treat your knee gently.

@VW54, no wonder you were able to ignore clunking today....you were too busy! Hah! Distraction can be a wonderful thing.:SUNsmile: That said, they had you do an awful lot for Day One, so I hope you don't get any severe blowback! Bet you'll sleep like the dead tonight though!

Sleep well @VW54 - you earned it. What a schedule! You need to bring a snack with you tomorrow. The machine with the square sounds like the infamous leg press. I hope you don't overdo it on that machine. I couldn't help but laugh when you said you had to hurry to go and relax . . . . glad you got a nap in . . you probably needed that more than meditation. I'll look forward to hearing more about your time at camp

Check in when you can @VW54, and thanks for the detailed report. Scientist that I am, I find the measurements interesting! I've been measuring my knee circumference since you reported that. Today I'll do my time trials.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom