TKR VW's new joint venture

Congrats on driving VW! It's a great milestone. That's terrible about the lock -- and of course these things always happen on the weekend when you can't get any help. I hope it will not be too expensive to fix and you can wait until after your big trip to buy a new vehicle - your SA trip sounds fabulous.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, dear, big bummer on the lock! Car repair stuff is just so annoying, and as you said, often pricey. I hope it's a fairly cheap and quick fix! :fingersx:

Congrats on the driving though! Whoohoo, "On the Road Again,"=Freedom! I hope, if need be, you can rent a car for your *spa* duty trips, rather than take public transportation. I feel the latter would be exhausting and probably rather uncomfortable, especially after a day of PT. :driver:
 
oh darn on the car. well after 16 years it's paid for itself. maybe this is a blessing in disguise and you can get a new or newer car. hope it will see you through until your spa days are finished and you're back from your trip. that's great you can drive now; all you need is to get into and start up your car.
 
If you don't get the car back, skip rehab. Just the getting there and back will be too much for your knee. It won't hurt you to miss a day or two. It's better that getting knocked down on public transport and have to lug all that stuff around with a new knee!
 
I was thinking about that option as well.
If we don't get a replacement car by the time I have to leave at 7:30 a.m. ( the garage opens at 7...supposedly it will only take them 10 minutes to open the car. Then my DH can drive me but I might have toake my way back alone.) I might take a taxi to the first bus which is at the start so am sure to get a seat. The connection bus is only for 4 of the last stops so should be almost empty too. The most ardous part is the walk from home to metro (650 m) then from metro to bus junction (160 m). We'll see. Depends on how well I sleep also.
Will let you all know.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Today is my second month kneeversary. It aches for attention. LOL.
Car (mis)adventure first. DH got up earlier than he needed to. Got to service only to be told that they had no replacement car at the moment. They couldn't open car right away as mechanic who does that only arrived at 8. I called a taxi. DH biked home and joined me for the entire ride there, carried my bag. It took with taxi (13 Euros) to bus and conx exactly 1 hour door to door. He took a different route back to see if bus plus 2 x metro is easier. (faster by 10 minutes but not that much easier) The toughest part was the jiggling of the bus. I used my bag to raise leg, and crutches to fix leg. Worked fine.
Rehab was ok but I didn't do ALL the floor exercises. I also wore an elastic brace today and did 13 min biking. Water therapy was good but getting out I slipped and banged opknee sideways on a wall next to step. Ouchy. Was ok after 3 min.
While I was there the mechanics drilled out the lock (there's a hole there now) They ordered a new lock which should arrive Wednesday maybe Thursday. If not by then we shall have a hissy fit.
DH took everything out of car. Tomorrow when it's supposed to go up to 98 F we will park car in the basement of spa. We plan to spend the day till evening at the spa. Make use of it. Entrance is quite dear: 18 Euros. DH will put drilled out lock in for camouflage, and hope no one can short it to steal it for joy ride or vandalise it. It's a very safe city and a spa at the edge of town it is so unlikely anyone goes there to steal cars. Not 16 year old cars, anyway.
At night we'll break building rules and park it in our courtyard. We rarely do this and the curmudgeons are away anyway.
Am resting and icing knee before my movie date. DH will drive me there and fetch me from metro. I appreciate it that so much.
Did I mention we're having our 4th heat wave since May? Ufff. "Ice ice baby!"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy (?) Kneeversary @VW54! Your spa day and travel to and from sound like a bit of an adventure. I cringed when I read you banged your knee exiting the pool, but can easily see how that could happen; pfft! Good plan for dealing with your heatwave.:ice:
 
Happy Kneeversary @VW54! Sorry you had to have a bump on the knee to celebrate. I hope your day went well with all the travel logistics and that you get your car lock sooner rather than later. I expect all will be ok with the "fake" lock for now.
 
Happy Knee- versary - hipperdiepiep hoera !
Later, you will read your thread and be amazed at all the things you have weathered in this TKR journey. The more I experience the more I realise that for all my preparations, I still didn't really know what I was getting into.
Nevertheless, having said it, still glad I made the choice now.
 
Happy kneeanniversary! I'm sorry to hear you bumped your knee. I hope it is feeling ok.
 
Yay for your two month kneeversary! Our new knees are quite resilient, aren't they? They weather most knocks and jolts without much of a complaint. Hope you don't get a nasty bruise, though. The fake lock ruse should work. Crossing my fingers that you get through your heat wave without incident.
 
Thanks fellow bonesmarties!
A couple of things that happened today which I can share with you and am certain you'll know why:
I was waiting at the bus stop and looked up at the blue sky and noticed a plane leaving a long straight trail. Thought to myself: "plane is scarring the sky.":umm:
I saw two other women in the foyer of the cinema using crutches and didn't hesitate to ask them: knee or hip? And when was their op.:what:
Two of us said almost in unison:" when you're walking w crutches suddenly you notice everyone else that does, whereas before you'd walk around them to get past them and never wonder what they had.:unsure:
At the movie I went to see, I was envious of all the elderly characters that could sit either crosslegged on the floor or w knees bent under on the sofa, or how quickly they walked.:rotfl:
 
Great observations VW. I also find myself looking at people's knees when in crowded summer places to see if I notice scars . . . and I am so much more observant of people's gait . . . funny how this experience makes us notice these things.
 
When in Walmart this past Saturday, a young man that works there had fallen on his knee. I went over when I saw another worker looking at it and noticed that it was swelling. I told him to get an ice pack and elevate that leg. It just came out of my mouth naturally! We go through this and want to help others with our experience!
 
I hope you got the lock on your car fixed and you are back up to speed. So you didn't tell us what movie you saw?? Do tell. I always look at peoples knees now! As I walk by people I hear them saying ohhh, she had two knees:loll: A man ran out of the restaurant we were in the other day to ask me about my knees. He had recently had a total and I think he wanted to compare "war" stories :rofsign:how I wish I could roll on the floor. Well I could roll on the floor just not sure I could get up. I could, it's just not a pretty sight!
 
:dubious:I'm at the ODIC for a while.
Spa after rehab yesterday. Lots of oh so lovely and spacious whirlpools w lots of water massage spouts. So tempting. Tried twice to walk down steps underwater. Not quite. Tried breaststroke: nope, no can do w op leg. Walking underwater good but weird sensation.
And the vast wooded grounds with lovely walks.
Then today...
Physiotherapist today "worked" on my gait on land and in the water.:walking:
Elevating and icing as I write.
Happy to report that bicycle is no problem at all.
Low resistance, 16 minutes today.
Re car: we have a temporary lock. Part may come in tomorrow, but we will be at spa again.
Weather here: now: 3 p.m:37 C( 98.6) tomorrow maybe 39C.(102) Aughh.:thud:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@becticu: the movie is called The Party. Very strange B&W, short only 70 min. but excellent performances.
 
Yesterday, when I went to my PCP for a red spot consultation, I was wearing a sundress, no TEDS, scars more than peeping out. Afterwards, my daughter told the story at dinner how everyone was ogling my scars. I, of course, was oblivious, being absorbed in a new mother jonesy magazine that I contemplated stealing, uh liberating.
But, yeah ! In the little time that I have been up and about I am constantly drawn to observing gaits, etc.
New normal, I guess, after being so knee-centric.
 
VW - that sounds like a lot of activity - the spa sounds lovely, breaststroke not so much. Hope you don't stay too long in the ODIC - lovely people in the club, but it's best not to be a regular. Glad you got a temporary lock for the auto.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom