Guest viewing is limited

TKR VW's new joint venture

VW54, that was a big shopping expedition! Initially, I'd guess everyone limps more without the cane? I know I did. My OS told me he didn't care if I used a cane for the first 6 months because his only concern was good form. PT is a bit pushier on that time frame, but also insisted on good form before ditching walking aids. Today was actually the first day I went out alone and walked outdoors a bit without the cane. It felt freaky, almost like I was nekkid, lol. But, I was walking just fine. You will too, sooner than you think.:yes!:
 
Actually, Pheebs, people are not supposed to limp when walking with a cane or no aids at all. Your OS and therapist are correct. If you limp, you're not ready for that step yet and need to stay with whatever aid lets you walk correctly. Otherwise you risk "learning" bad habits and (even worse) making other body parts hurt or become over stressed. No limping!!! :no-fin:
 
Jamie, agreed. When I first switched from two crutches to cane, I limped. When PT saw that, he told me back to crutches. When I first tried no cane, I limped so immediately went back to the cane. I then discussed it with my OS and he gave me the speech about the importance of good form. Now, finally (phew) I am not limping; huzzah! But, it took 9 l-o-n-g weeks. Sometimes, if I've done too much during the day and my leg is tired, I will feel my form slipping and you can bet I grab the cane. :SUNsmile:
 
@kmak81230 oh yes, please ( with a cherry on top) let's hope it is so!
@Pheebs52 , I was told by my Physiotherapist that I could ditch the walker and sticks at home as the gait was good. There seems to be a relapse.
I've been limping so long already. Pre op about 7 months, maybe a year, off and on. I'm not sure if it's also a brain muscle thing. But interesting that I limp a lot less with trekking sticks. Perhaps when I lift my upgraded knee I'm distributing less weight on whatever muscle that keeps the clonking sensation at bay. Equals less tension, smoother gait. Will ask physiotherapist next Tuesday.
 
I've just been doing a lot more ADL than intended.
I washed the old feather pillow and it burst at the seams. Spent about half an hour off and on or rather up and down almost in crouch position to gather the blasted feathers from inside our front loader and all over the floor. Feathers now put to dry in 4 flat containers. The other 100+ floating ones all over our bathroom, I'll vacuum up later.
No need for bouncy ball exercises anymore.
 
That sounds like enough ADL for three people! Not to mention a scene from a sitcom. :heehee:
 
VW54, yikes! Now you'll have to go pillow shopping, lol! Just be sure to bring the trekking sticks.:SUNsmile:
 
Oh no on the pillow issue! That is a whole lot of work on a new knee. You'll need to return to doing our guidelines for a few days, I bet. But, you'll snap back! You are doing so good already!
 
Yikes on the feather pillow! So sorry there was not someone there to help you with that.
 
re pillow misadventure: DH vacuumed/hoovered inside washing machine (I took a fan and aimed it there) and the bathroom and hallway. The gathered feathers are drying in a pillowcase on the balcony. DH has two new pillows, we switch them for him every week. I'll make a new smaller one w the washed feathers.
Re gait: I've decided to use a trick on myself: am wearing outdoor shoes that are just a teeny-tiny bit snug on me to remind myself to walk more consciously and doing a monty python kind of exaggerated rolling step. It's stressing me because of the clonk/clicks I sense, but am doing what am supposed to do. Can't win on this aspect of new knee...not yet anyway.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's amazing the little tips I get from other BoneSmarties! Washing my pillow is on my list for when I get home from the hospital (I should say I put that on my sister's to-do-list for me.) Because of your experience VW54, I'll have her put it in a new pillow cover BEFORE washing it. So, thanks for letting me learn from your experience.

All in all, it sounds like you're having a happy recovery. :yahoo:Slow and steady wins the race.
 
@VW54, from what I read in here the click/clonk will go away as you heal and are able to do more things. There is that to look forward to :yes:
 
@VW54, shoes definitely make a difference in gait so it will be interesting to see how these work for you.:SUNsmile:
 
Has anyone here ever heard of the practice of using "quark" and its healing powers?
Very common around these parts (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) to use something akin to curdled cheese, more like ricotta or cream cheese to make a poultice to use on parts of the body that are inflamed.
I used it pre-op on recommendation from physiotherapist. Now 2 Orthopedists have told me to use this instead of the Naproxen, which was upsetting my tummy.
Didn't hurt to use it...( 3 hours on) and swelling went down.
Guess some old fahioned house cures do work. (?)
But it's funny smearing the stuff one normally uses as a pastry filling on one's knee.:heehee:
Just had to share. :)
(Lindsey Vonn also uses this; google her name and quark if you want to know more about Topfen)
 
It's a new one to me, but I can't see that a quark poultice would do any harm, as long as your incision is completely healed. If it works for you, that's good, and it's safer than taking Naproxen.
 
Have seen several people who have complained/asked about/ mentioned the itching around the site of operation or sometimes the entire leg. Can't remember any explanation given for that. My mum and auntie would say to us children that when our scabs itched not to scratch because it was a sign that it was healing underneath.
Now I have that itchiness too ( same soap as always) and I am using a cool washcloth to get that under control.
Any ideas why we are itching? And more: what to do?
BTW, It's weird to feel itchy on a part that is normally numb.
 
I wonder why the numb spot is always willing to hurt or itch or whatever other unpleasant sensation--but it won't stop being numb!
 
Must google quark! Interesting! I'd say Lindsay Vonn is a good endorsement.:yes!:

Ah, the internal knee itch, very strange indeed, but I assume it's just some sort of nerves reconnecting at random moments. For what it's worth, mine only occurs in the numb, *dead-zone* area as well. It's hard to ignore, isn't it? I don't have any scabs in that area, so I scratch a bit and then it seems to stop, but it can go on for awhile, perhaps 30 minutes or so.
 
Until last year, before op, soooooo many of my Austrian friends were telling me to use quark/topfen for my achy knee. I just thought it's probably the same as putting a cool pack or icing...probably placebo and ignored the strong suggestions. Then physiotherapist said use it and then another one said use it. I relented. The stuff is relatively cheap just messy to apply and keep in place when I had walking to do around the housr. (Fat ace bandage kept cloth smeared w thick layer of quark in place)
After 3rd day, yeah swelling did go down. But I told myself it probably would have done so anyway.
Now post op I get advice from two Orthopedic docs. That stunned me. So ok already. I will try every evening now for a week. Will let you all know. (Could really just be placebo)
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom