THR VSlowLife's Recovery Thread

That is really a long trip for just a quick check up and x-ray.

It is, but he definitely wants to see me and there will be no x-ray just yet, I learned. I was able to push it off for another week.

I think your cold is probably increasing your heart rate. Mine was in the 80s when I was ill.

I hope so. Thank you!

By spring we should be almost completely healed and able to enjoy the warm weather and flowers!!

That would be great. Spring is only a month away. Maybe some more time will need to pass, but at least I could admire some spring bulbs.

Funny how dogs and cats cuddle next to us when we are ill.

Yes! The great comforters! Twenty is a super long life for a cat. I am sure you miss your cat very much. My last one died at 16, 1 1/2 years ago.

My cold is about the same. No better or worse. OS office said if it gets worse to see my GP. No fever. Between PT and visiting nurse, I know for sure, no fever. Just a head cold. Everything is running clear so far.

I am able to walk more without the cane, but not too much or I need to ice the muscles. Taking daily naps.
 
:wowspring:I am at the four week mark since surgery!! So glad to be here. When I look at the last few weeks, times seems to have flown by. I got rid of my greys yesterday. Another small activity to reclaiming my life.

I had a few small “zingers” I call them, as I began to sit last night and this morning. Part of the healing process, so I am not worried. No numbness.

I did balancing exercises with PT yesterday and did very well. I have balancing tools at home and used them before surgery. We had 45 mph gusts and PT did not want me walking outside. Will do that today. Home PT has been extended another week since I can’t drive.

The other good news is my cold is finally feeling better this morning. :egypdance:Less coughing. Hello week five!

I hope all my “new” hip friends are doing well and keep finding happy little improvements.
 
Happy Four Week Anniversary!
To me there was some benefit to feeling comfortable with my appearance. Washing those grays right outta your hair felt good, I'll bet. After a couple days of catching my pale face, bed-head reflection in the bathroom mirror, I started doing a quick blow dry and applying a teensy bit of make-up, for me it made a diffence in the way I felt for the day.

Great news your cold is fading. This should be a good weekend for you.
Were you not released to drive yet?
@VSlowLife
 
Happy 4 weeks and happy Friday!

Thank you! Yes, it is encouraging, day by day. PT said I could try rotating my legs on a staircase. I did for five steps and no extra pain tonight. Six steps tomorrow!!

It is a big trip, on public transportation, and I will take it day by day. Skype? Time will tell.
 
Congratulations - you've made it through the toughest first month with flying colours!! :yes!: Well done you, lots of research and preparedness and patience has paid off. For me, months 2 and 3 brought many recovery leaps. Enjoy the next phase!
There is probably also a long slow 'recovery desert' period to come later on, but that too will pass and (at 9 months for me) I feel confident saying that you'll be feeling 'normal' before you know it. Take care.
 
:hi: Happy Saturday.
PT said I could try rotating my legs on a staircase. I did for five steps and no extra pain tonight. Six steps tomorrow!!
This confused me a bit.:what:
What does rotating your legs on the stairs mean?
Hope you have a great weekend.
 
What does rotating your legs on the stairs mean?

After surgery I was taught in the hospital to have my surgical leg go down a step with a cane in the opposite hand. Always going down with the surgical leg. Then only up with non-surgical leg. My PT continued this.

As a bilateral hippy, you had no "non-surgical" leg, I am thinking.

It may have been someone on bonesmart who mentioned "bad leg goes to hell, good leg goes to heaven" as a way to remember to do this the right way.

By rotating my legs, I am now starting to walk down the stairs /up the stairs with alternating legs, still with a cane opposite my operated leg.
 
Splendid...I see.

I used this same process as one leg emerged a bit stronger so was dubbed my "good leg" so I get the process.
So happy to see you are doing well.
All to be well worth it in the end.
:egypdance:
 
Thank you everyone!! If I have not said it already, it is worth repeating. I so appreciate everyone’s support and comments, throughout this journey. :loveshwr:It’s so nice to get by with help from friends, new friends, and the staff. This is a wonderful format, for a surgical, recovery journey. I think it is unequaled anywhere else.

I am finding myself more out of bed/ recliner, than the week before :egypdance:

I can use the stairs like a normal person, but still use the cane to support my new hip, as I do. I am using a small, sturdy, cooler bag, from summer food shopping, to hang over my shoulder, I so my hands are free, as I go up or down the stairs. It has a square bottom, to accommodate small amounts of folded laundry in it, on the way up, or other things on the way down.

I think alternating my legs using the stairs has helped my hip muscles settle around my hip better, and it feels slightly more normal to walk, than when I was just using one leg to go down and the other to go up.

So much so, that when I heard “Once in a Lifetime” with David Byrne singing, I started dancing in my kitchen! For a moment, I forgot I had a new hip! Such a good sign!
I hope everyone is having a good weekend! :loveshwr:
 
So much so, that when I heard “Once in a Lifetime” with David Byrne singing, I started dancing in my kitchen! For a moment, I forgot I had a new hip! Such a good sign!


This is why we do this! Way to go @VSlowLife.. you are having a very good recovery.:loveshwr:
 
Last day of home PT. Started doing a bit of my former balancing and lower leg stretches with my home tools. I make sure if my right side gets weak I can catch myself on something.

I was tested yesterday, and I do not have strep, just a viral cold that Is taking it’s sweet time leaving. My OS pushed off my follow up appointment to mid March.

It will be a slow day, today. I challenged myself a bit too much yesterday.

I hope everyone is doing well in their progress.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom