THR VSlowLife's Recovery Thread

Layla, marieltha, Bruce, CricketHip
Thank you all! :loveshwr: It is a happy six weeks today! Hard to believe. The antibiotics are finally working and I am feeling more alive.:froggies:

@RinTinTin How are you doing? Have you settled on one gym?

Most notable change this week is my slight duck walking on one side is slowly getting better.

I have been getting much faster with the walker, focusing on heel to toe.
I am “free styling” a little more without a cane or walker. :walking:It’s starting to feel less like the leaning tower of Pisa, when I walk.

So happy it is nearly spring. So happy we have had daylight savings for more sun.

Be well everyone!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@RinTinTin[/USER] How are you doing? Have you settled on one gym?

Most notable change this week is my slight duck walking on one side is slowly getting better.

I have been getting much faster with the walker, focusing on heel to toe.
I am “free styling” a little more without a cane or walker. :walking:It’s starting to feel less like the leaning tower of Pisa, when I walk.

So happy it is nearly spring. So happy we have had daylight savings for more sun.

Be well everyone!

I am doing just fine... thanks for asking.
I was too busy with work this past week so I didn't have time to go to the gym.
My walking totally improved and you all know how scared I was I will keep limping and duck walking forever. Honestly, the key to improvement is: keep practicing heel to toe walking till it becomes normal and get new shoes!
:tada:
 
Last edited:
@VSlowLife , I was glad to read that you are feeling a bit better with the antibiotics and also recovering from the ODIC. Heel/toe walking really helps re-establish good patterns. I still slip occasionally when trying to keep up with my husband and force myself to slow down and repeat in my head heel/toe,heel/toe to get back in the right rhythm.

I hope you have a peaceful night and a lovely day tomorrow.
 
Week seven! Still get fatigued. I slept until 8 this morning! So not like me. I was walking most of yesterday without a cane. It’s very fatiguing. If I do too much my now slight duck walk, gets to be much worse.
Stay safe everyone!
 
Try not to get so tired your duck walk ( I called it waddling and so did my husband) comes out. Grab a cane then. It is so hard to break the habit that your body probably assumed for the time you were hurting before surgery. That darn muscle memory has to be retaught.

I was tired for quite a while and I think for me some of it was all the lack of sleep from before surgery and the months of hurting. It does go away so be kind to yourself. Space out your activities over hours and days. I kept reminding myself that nothing really had to be done all at the same time or on the same day. Now with the mandate to stay at home there really is no rush. Take care of yourself and stay safe from those nasty germs.
 
That fatigue thing crops up relentlessly and really lingers...totally agree with leejaa's advice to take things in short bits. I still need to pace myself even now at almost 10 months! But it's a good excuse to reallllly slow down and I've adapted a totally new 'chill' outlook on life, and it's not half bad. Take care and stay healthy. Slow and steady. :thumb:
 
Hello @VSlowLife

7 weeks! You have made great progress. I get a hitch in my walk when I am really tired. Muscles will come together, I don’t see dramatic improvements but steadily moving in right direction. Congratulations on walking and making progress.
 
Just a quick hello to see how you are doing. Not sure if you are in NY state also with the advise to stay away from strangers and others (sounds like the warning for kids does it not). Grey snowy day here so easy to stay in though I have no neighbors visible to get close to. Yesterday was such a beautiful sunny day here I started thinking spring was really coming. I went out to fill the bird feeders and noticed my iris have poked out from the ground - now snow covered poor things.

Take it slow and steady like you have been and stay safe.
 
Hello and Happy Wednesday. Happy Two Month Anniversary also!
I hope you’re well as you continue healing.
Take care, stay safe :)
@VSlowLife
 
Happy 2 month hipaversary! Lots more good things to come in the next 2! Don't get discouraged if you feel a little plateau around this time. I think I hit a confidence crash at around 3 months at my perceived lack of progress , but it HAS continued to come, sometimes in blips and sometimes in zooms. :yes: Keep on walkin and smiling. The world needs our grateful hipster smiling faces all the more. :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you for the happy anniversary wishes, everyone!

Sorry. Things got very scary and crazy quickly where I live, regarding the pandemic. I'm okay. Family, so far okay, but not unscathed.

I do not need a cane, as long as I take rest periods through out the day. I can sleep on my surgical side. Still find I need the pillow to help do that. Fatigue I understand well, and nap or go to bed early if needed. Or sleep late, which has surprised me at times.

Muscles that were not working so well before surgery have done some various complaints. So have the IT band and whatever seems to be its partner in crime along the side of my calf, but better than it was month ago, I am happy to say. This hip restored a bit of length that was lost from the OA to the leg. It think that has been why those things have been annoying.

Something on the side of my leg goes "boing" every once in a while. At first, I was worried something might be loose. I was moving in new ways, after my plastic sock helper broke. Now the "boing" happens infrequently. Boing, like a rubber band snapping?

In 10 days it will be 3 months. Started putting away things I had out for the immediate recovery. Had to learn to make meals again, since prepared frozen meals were used up. More clean up, which is tiring,

Thinking back, I primarily used my walker, with the cane attached for short distances, until about 6 weeks. Then, it was like a bird suddenly realizing it had wings, and I was forgetting the walker, then forgetting the cane. I am not speedy at all, but that is okay. I only had one joint replaced, as the others keep reminding me.

Stay safe everyone!
 
Good Morning @VSlowLife

Almost three months!! Sounds like you are progressing very well. Congratulations on improving strength and mobility. It does take time. I am almost 4 months and still struggle with strength and flexibility. Hoping you stay safe and the ones you love stay safe too. Hoping this passes soon. ❤️
 
Stay safe!! Glad to read that you are making progress..
I've had the occasional "boing" feeling.. not as often as you, but have had them. I figured it was a tendon snapping .. most likely trying to figure out where it now belongs.
It only gets better, well as good as it can with other joints in need. :SUNsmile:
 
So good to have you posting again. I am glad you are safe and healthy. I am sorry that your family did not come through unscathed. I believe you are much closer to NYC than I am and that is such a hot spot. Living in NY state I do watch all the updates of course and think about all the people in the area. I also have a brother in law in New Jersey so worry about him and his wife also.

Sounds like you are making great progress. I am sure your puppy is enjoying time in the yard with you and no cane. It does take time to get the energy and strength back. Still making progress myself.

I hope to see more of your posts as I know they were helpful to so many people on here. Take care and stay safe.
 
Happy Saturday! It’s good you’re not bothered by the snapping sensation. Hopefully it continues easing with time.
Be safe and stay well. :)
@VSlowLife
 
Whoa...three months already! Happy Three Month Anniversary :)
Wishing you a lovely Spring 2020. :SUNsmile:
@VSlowLife
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom