THR VSlowLife's Pre-op Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be following you into recovery. Wishing you the best!
I was encouraged to keep my quads strong and my hamstrings stretched going into the knees, and for those and the shoulder, to do lots of leg balancing exercises to avoid falls.
:roseshwr: Thank you! Leg balancing I can do with little pain. I have exercises from my old PT, and bought the PT balancing equipment on Amazon. Those work, but some of the pre-op exercises the doctor sent can take my breath away. I can slowly do the chair raises for my quads with hip cushions in the chair. Thank you for mentioning stretching the hamstrings, I will see if I can still do those.
I do wall push ups, as the doctor ordered for the shoulders. No pain there. Then I do this other exercise where you slowly follow the door frame with your arms, from the waist up and back, in a cycle.
 
@VSlowLife you're getting there, checking off all the different tests and such. I wasn't really given any pre-op exercises though there were some in the booklet they have me at the joint clinic. Didn't do them or much else that last month.

Before that I had been going to the gym and water walking but even that got to be too much. That last month, especially when I was working was brutal, I went to work, came home, did a few things like clean litter boxes, feed the cats and then crawled in bed to get up and do it again tomorrow. The last week before the original surgery date I worked on getting the house kind of setup for recovery, hubby was home by then and helped.

I'm sure that you will have all your duckies in a row, you seem to be one of those organized people. It seems so funny to me now, in hindsight that I didn't have any of these tests run prior to spine surgery and didn't have any special things set up for recovery. They gave me (well charged my insurance) for the walker they sent me home with and that was about it. Kind of crazy huh?!

We'll be here with you to ease your mind and answer any questions that might pop up. You've got this! :friends:
 
For me, even a seated squeeze of the buttocks seems to loosen the hamstrings a bit. Not sure if it strengthens them or if your soon to be better hip would like that.
 
Thank you so much!
We'll be here with you to ease your mind and answer any questions that might pop up. You've got this! :friends:
You are right!Spine surgery was so little preparation compared to this hip surgery! Thank you for telling me how you struggled with various exercises before surgery, too. It makes me feel better. :bow:

I am also so grateful for your, and everyone’s advice/contributions on the forum, because it really helps to feel like you have had the very best advice to get prepared and to recover.

Yes, I am a list person, and thanks to everyone here, I have crossed off quite a bit of my list.
 
Yes, I am a list person, and thanks to everyone here, I have crossed off quite a bit of my list.

I'm a list person too. I haven't figured out if it's because I like to set small goals of what needs to get done or if it's because I forget half the stuff I remember I need to do if I don't write it down :rotfl:
 
And speaking of lists, make sure you have something ready so you can track your meds after surgery. The brain can get really foggy and you don't want to over or under medicate.
 
And speaking of lists, make sure you have something ready so you can track your meds after surgery. The brain can get really foggy and you don't want to over or under medicate.

List is always the best...
I didn't use any though. I used my iPhone. you can setup as many alarms as you want them and as soon as the phone rings to remind you, you reactivate your alarm for the next time.
It worked for me.
:)
 
I used a notebook which had my pills listed and I checked it off as I took them. I then used my phone to set an alarm to remind me I needed to take something. Often had multiple alarms set at different times. Love the phones for that. The list worked for me since some of my pills were every 6hrs and others every 8h and others once in am and others am and pm and post op brain did not remember which ones I took and what was due without the list. I would put a check mark after whatever I took so I could check back.
 
Thank you @RinTinTin and @leejaa ! :) :-) (:

Anyone have success in using the dog leash for a log leg? It is sturdier than my bathrobe belt. Is it sanitary enough to use?

Is there something around the house that could be used as a dressing stick
or better to buy one?
 
I have used a reacher more than the dressing stick for help in getting dressed. You could use a dog leash, I know others have posted that they did. Will you have the 90 degree bending precautions after your surgery? If so, it can be difficult to get the belt or leash around foot in appropriate location easily. If you have precautions you might want to get the stiff handle leg lifter from amazon especially as you still have another hip to go. Much easier with a stiff handle to reach the loop to your foot.
 
I didn't use the dressing stick very much, actually only time I used it was to pop my heel into my sneaker. Forgot I had the long handled shoe horn! :heehee:

I had the leg lifter but couldn't quite get the hang of it. May have to do with being short and it's long. I could get it on my foot but not get enough leverage to pull my leg. I usually just grabbed the leg of my PJ's or leggings when I needed help moving my leg. Luckily it wasn't all that long that it didn't cooperate.
 
That is good to know about the dressing stick. I will try dressing with the reacher.
Will you have the 90 degree bending precautions after your surgery?
If the surgery goes as expected, no restrictions, however, not sure if my femur fractures a bit, if that will be true. I will call.

The surgical coordinator nurse called me today. I am already scheduled first in the morning, of my date. I did not expect that, because it could mean I will be home the next day, she said. :yes:

I know that leg lifter is not covered by Medicare. Only a walker and a port a potty, the nurse said. I may buy one and not take it out of the packaging if it is not needed. Thank you!
 
Thank you @RinTinTin and @leejaa ! :) :-) (:

Anyone have success in using the dog leash for a log leg? It is sturdier than my bathrobe belt. Is it sanitary enough to use?

Is there something around the house that could be used as a dressing stick
or better to buy one?

I've been told that long tongs can be used as a grabber, I'll have to try putting my socks on with one :) :-) (:
 
Oh, I do have some long kitchen tongs. I will give them a try! @BruceH

I do use the half-pipe like, plastic sock device with the ropes. As long as I pinch the ends, I can slide my socks on, but I need to do 95% of the sock on so it gets on my toes well. I can get my socks off with a metal shoe horn.

I will try lifting my leg with flannel PJs and see how that works. Thank you @Elf1 !
 
You are on your way to hippie freedom! What a long journey you've had.
I liked the leg lifter it was most helpful even if you only need for a week or two. I wonder if the dog leash will let your knee sag a bit?
The PT person gave me one while there in June and even though I had one at home they told me to keep it., Maybe you will get as lucky!
 
The PT person gave me one while there in June and even though I had one at home they told me to keep it., Maybe you will get as lucky!
Thank I will ask. Yes, it has been along journey. At this point, it can’t happen soon enough.
Anyone have a difficult time with more pain, due to pre-surgery PT? I thought my therapist was gentle enough yesterday, but wow, my hips and knees are not shaking it off at all, today. Arthritis Tylenol does nothing, of course. I left a message with my OS’s office today. I had to, I started crying.
 
Then I would forego the pre op PT.. You are having enough pain without them aggravating things more.
I was able to do just one or two exercises that didn't compound the pain and other issues and only if I did just a few repetitions. So I doubt those exercises were going to do anything to help me, long term afterwards.
Good luck,, you are getting closer and closer!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom