Guest viewing is limited

TKR VSing's Recovery Thread

Oh totally!! I'm not looking forward to mopping and cleaning toilets but I don't like feeling like a burden so I keep thinking I should be doing this or that. (I have been doing a few things here and there, shhhhh, don't tell) Me, who loves to watch shows is actually getting bored with tv! The cleaning can wait, the big thing in this house is getting someone to walk the dog, something I can't do yet!
 
3 weeks postop yesterday. I feel like I am about 7-10 days behind what I was last year after my left one. I have been so hesitant this time about walking with just a cane but finally did today for a little while. I think it’s more mental than physical because it gave out on me a few times. I did raise the
seat on my bicycle as far as it would go and was able to make full rotation on the pedals finally. It felt good to finally be able to do it. Also finally got my flexion to 90 though it takes some doing to get there. Baby steps but finally seeing some progress at least.
 
Two steps forward and 3 steps back. This new knee has felt so unstable that I have been hesitant to walk unaided on it. Told myself yesterday that I needed to be brave and take off. Did fine for several steps during the day then it ‘locked up’ and if I had not been next to a table I would have landed on the floor. Felt all the ligaments tighten up at once and it threw my balance off. So back using the walker today. Hopefully it is just them healing but it sure is frustrating. It’s been 3 1/2 weeks since surgery. My extension is good and my flexion is at least 90 or better when I really push it. So ready for a normal life.
 
Oh my goodness! I'm sorry this happened. Hopefully our knowledgable moderators will have some good advice.
 
4 weeks postop tomorrow. I have this weird fear of walking without my walker. I just don’t trust my new knee yet. I’m not sure why I am being like this. Last year I had to make myself use it or my cane, I kept leaving them in the other room. I am not usually scared of anything. Has anyone else had this at this point in recovery? I don’t know how to snap out of it.
 
In time it will pass. I was very afraid of anyone getting too close to me for months. I’d be in a grocery store, pushing a shopping cart, and if someone came remotely close I would automatically stop short, which my knee did not like! Even when I finally started driving (at 11 weeks!) I was afraid of cars getting too close.

My opinion is it’s just a reaction to what was done to us during the surgery. Even though our mind understands the why of the surgical trauma, I think we unconsciously react to it anyway, somewhere in our mind, and it causes some fear for a while. Like I said, that‘s just my opinion.
 
Thank you. My mind knows the truth but I just needed some encouragement. I am normally the most independent person I know. That’s why this is so strange.
 
Was able to ride my bike for 7 minutes today! Amazing how stiff it feels when I start compared to how quickly it loosens up. Still not comfortable walking unaided but decided to try using one crutch. Had some left over from my last scope a few years ago. Much more stable than my cane. Baby steps….
 
4 weeks postop. Got out of the house and went to an (indoor) concert last night. Getting out for the first time did me a world of good. I went on crutches because I didn’t know how far I had to walk. Thankfully no one sat on my right and I was able to keep my leg stretched out. Felt so good to be almost normal again.
 
I hear ya. I haven't really been anywhere except for the doctor's or PT lately. Last night I went to a winery with my sister and daughter. My sister had kindly reserved the couch area for us so I could stretch my leg out. I did find that after the hour and a half we were there that my knee had had enough and I was ready to go home. It was nice to get out of the house though....
 
6 week checkup today. xray was good. Extension at 0 and flexion at 120. Did not go to outpatient PT this time because I knew what to do and I have a stationary bike at home so I was happy with results. Still using one crutch when I get tired to keep my gait normal. Every knee replacement is definitely different. Glad my first time was easier or I may have postponed this one. There is finally a light at the end of the tunnel!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom