Guest viewing is limited

TKR VSing's Recovery Thread

Back on the rollercoaster. :( Had too good of a day yesterday and overdid it. Extension was at +2 yesterday. Today my knee was stiff and hot to touch Couldn’t extend past a +5. Resting and icing today after therapy. Can’t seem to straighten it today.
 
Just returning from my family beach trip. Had no problems walking in the sand from the house to the beach. Just more careful and slower than usual. it was very hard to resist playing in the water and getting tossed around by the waves :surfer:but I knew better. Will make up for it next year. Only part that was not fun was going up and down stairs multiple times a day. Sat In my recliner with ice as soon as I got home. :ice: Ready to rest it for a few days
 
Vacation are challenging in recovery, but rewarding.
After you rest a few days, you just might feel better than you did before your vacation.
:sleeep::ice:
 
What a great vacation report! It just goes to show people that it can be done at less than two months out. It sounds like you were very smart in your activities and babied that baby knee. Smart lady!
 
WooHoo! Graduation day from physical therapy! 8 weeks postop LTKR. Extension at 0° and flexion at 120°. Was released to continue riding stationary bike at home daily. Hopefully can have my other knee done in a few months. It will be stronger before surgery than this one was now that I know how to strengthen that quad. I know this one still has a while to go but it was so encouraging to see progress When I walked in there a little over 3 weeks ago I needed a cane to walk stable.
 
Yay, graduation day from PT! That's a huge hurdle you have passed.
 
8 months postop LTKR. Recently feeling tightness behind knee and some pain. I started back riding my stationary bike this week hoping it will loosen my knee. Can I expect to ever be able to flex it as much as my other knee?
 
My ROM continued to improve in my second year, and in my third year. Yours probably will, too.
 
I continued to have tightness into my first. It became less as I continued to heal. You are still healing and have some swelling, which is why you feel that tightness. Internal swelling is the last place to leave and there is only a small space inside there. Even a little amount of fluid will cause you to feel tight.
 
Well I did it again. Had my TRKR on 8/31. Came home same day of surgery. It’s funny how you forget how much this hurts the first few days or we would never have the other one done. I am on postop day 2 and it hurts like this morning.
 
Welcome back to recovery!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​


4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website
​

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
Welcome to the other side, @VSing on knee #2! I'll be following your recovery since we are so close in dates.
 
Yesterday was excruciating pain. Feel like it is better today. I can walk with the walker but getting up and down is still rough. Not looking forward to PT today but it is a necessary evil and I can tell him to stop if I want to. Still no appetite. I drink plenty of fluids but have only eaten a little yogurt since Monday.
 
VSing, you are in such early days! Usually, the first 3 weeks or so can be pretty rough. Your appetite will return in time.
Yes, do not let PT push you to the point of pain! This early in the game all you really need is gentle stretching and a few jaunts to the bathroom and back.
Hang in there!
 
I had my surgery on the 30th. My dr recommended starting PT 7-10 days after but I think that's too early. Mind is scheduled for the 13th, twice a week. That's plenty early. My last TKR 11 years ago I didn't start PT until week 3. Good luck @VSing and don't do anything you don't want to do!
 
Last edited:
My doctor recommended PT as soon as I got home, so 2 days after surgery! I am having my other knee done in November, and I might wait a week?? Any recommendations would be welcome!
 
I agree on waiting a little longer for PT. I was up walking the day of surgery (with a walker) but when PT wanted me to try to bend my leg on day 2 I wanted to laugh. There was no way that was happening.
 
4 day postop. Went over 12 hours with no pain or painkillers for the first time. Had PT torture session this morning but finally got to 60 degree flexion-only made it to 52 yesterday. I know every person and surgery is different. Had more flexion and strength by now last year with my left one. Not as frustrating this time because I know it takes time and I’m not pushing it. Baby steps!
 
Had PT torture session this morning but finally got to 60 degree flexion-only made it to 52 yesterday.
Not that there should ever be a ”PT torture session” but 4 days post op is especially far too early for it. Don’t allow that, it isn’t necessary in order to have a good outcome.

You have lots and lots of time for your ROM to increase. At only 4 days after surgery it is likely that your swelling will still increase, and that is why you can’t bend your knee. Pushing for more bend in a PT session, especially this early, only increases swelling, which makes it counterproductive.

Your ROM can also fluctuate from day to day, so don't stress about the number. Relax, rest, ice, elevate, do some gentle bends for mobility and take some short walks every hour or two. All this, without torture.
 
Whoa! My knee decided to kick the pain up a notch this afternoon. Was not bad at all this morning. If it is like this in the morning I will text my PT guy and tell him to forget it tomorrow! Walking around the house and ankle pumps will be my PT
 
Back
Top Bottom