TKR VSing's Recovery Thread

What always amazes me is that dead-weight stiff pain that comes with gravity when you get up and walk. The knee feels like a tree trunk. Moving definitely helps loosen that up but my gosh, it can be painful.

How often are you scheduled for PT?

PT has been to my home the last 3 days. I cancelled today’s. Im having one of those ‘why in the hell did I do this?’ mornings that only people in this forum can understand. The dr wanted them to come 3 days a week the next 2 weeks but I said only 2. I can do it on my own at my own pace. I have to keep reminding myself it’s only been 5 days.

This early you don't need a PT session every day. You need to begin your healing and that has hardly had a chance to start. Gentle bends and short walks are all you need right now. Good for you for taking charge of your recovery and doing what is best for you.

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Day 6. Finally able to lift my leg up (a little) from flat position for the first time since surgery. What a crazy thing to be excited about. Reminds me of the scene in Princess Bride when he was able to move his head. Down to taking 2 Lortab a day. One about 10am and one before bedtime about 10pm. Every knee is different because I could do more by now last year with the left one. Still sleeping in recliner but may try the bed tonight. Can only get my leg on the bed by using the other foot to lift it. Feels like dead weight. I know each day is getting better-just trying to be patient.

I hear ya! I was excited when I could finally lift my own leg and not have my husband have to do it every time. Small steps!

Day 8- yesterday was a great day, today it woke me up hurting. Does anyone else have their knee feel like it ‘grabs’ you or locks up and you get your weight off it quick when you are walking? Always a little scary.

All par for the course. Your knee had a lot of trauma done to it during the surgery. Treat it gently.

Yep, sometimes if feels like it's going to give way, other times it feels like a tree trunk.

Day 10- feels like I am backing up. I was much better last year by this point. I am suddenly nervous about putting wt on my new knee when walking because it does this spasm/grabbing thing sometimes. I can only get it to about 60 degrees or so flexion. I was at 90 by now last year. Yes it is swollen still but it just doesn’t want to bend. I think if it was just pain I could push through it. It has the tight rubber band feeling I remember from my first one. I can lift it from a flat position but only if I concentrate on what muscle to use to lift it. I am just having an impatient day. I am not a person that stays still very long. Ready to be back to normal.

@VSing I am right there with you. I feel like I'm going backwards too. I don't feel like I can bend as well as my last TKR and I'm impatient to get through this. I am doing too much, on my feet too much putting this away, folding a few towels, watering a few pots. My own dumb fault. My IT band is SOOO tight this time and just won't allow my knee to bend. I need patience, ice, elevation and to slow down but it's very hard. I don't sit still very long either normally and it's hard to just let a messy house sit but I must!!!!

I just read this excellent article on Bonesmart https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tkr-where-are-you-in-recovery.13290/

Last edited:
@Susie-Q thank you for posting that article although my surgery is exactly 1 month from today, I am learning so much from everyone here at bonesmart and so thankful a friend told me about the site.

Day 12- I am not sure what is going on with this knee. The last couple of days I have been relying heavily on my walker. The new knee is so unstable. It either gives out or it cramps up when I put all my weight on it. Still very swollen. Can lift it without difficulty. Appears to be straight. Been working on flexion but with the swelling still only about 70 degrees. Very discouraging. Would prob be better if I had not had such an easy recovery last year and expected the same with this one. I see my dr on Wednesday this week for 2 week checkup

Went for my 2 week checkup with dr. He reassured me that all knees heal differently and to not compare to my LTKR last year. I have almost full extension but only about 70% flexion. He said that would improve when swelling was down and he would not worry about that until another 2-3 months out then would talk about MUA if it was no better. He said he wanted full extension before flexion anyway. Made me feel a little better and I will keep on pushing myself with gently increasing the bending. I am still so ready to walk unassisted but at least I am not worried about it as much.

@VSing I'm still using my walker and I'm only 1 day ahead of you. There are times around my house when I will walk without it but when my pain pills wear off and I'm not feeling as stable, I still use it. I am only at 72 flexion and 5 extension. Hoping to possibly see some improvement at PT today so we'll see. One day at a time..... It's good your doc says things will improve when swelling goes down. We'll see what mine says tomorrow...... :chinstroke:

It’s been 2 1/2 weeks since my TKR. Am I the only one that still feels my new knee is unstable to walk on unaided? My dr told me not to compare to last time but I can’t help it. I was walking good and even drove to the dentist alone at 3 weeks last time. Not happy with my progress this time. Still very swollen and painful. Trying to stay upbeat. Doing all my exercises and trying to increase my flexion.

Sometimes my knee feels stable, sometimes it doesn't. Especially at night when going to the bathroom and it's so stiff so I still use the walker then. It depends on what time of day and how much meds I've got on board. Every knee is different so try not to compare it to your last one....

Came back to add.... the weather has turned cool here with rain and so this morning I thought I'd wear my slippers for added warmth. I felt unstable wearing them, too much sliding around of my feet so I took them off. I feel much more stable walking in just my stocking/bare feet. I noticed too when walking in my backyard the other day, the lawn was SO UNSTABLE compared to the cement patio. I took great care walking on it and went very slow. I'm not ready for walking on grass yet. Remember, it's still very early days for us yet.

Last edited:
Not happy with my progress this time. Still very swollen and painful. Trying to stay upbeat. Doing all my exercises and trying to increase my flexion.
Your knees are proof that each one heals differently. It’s way too early to be unhappy with your progress, your poor knee has been through a lot and is upset. Try to relax and give your knee the privilege of sorting itself out.

Stop trying so hard with the exercises, that could be maintaining pain and swelling. Instead, concentrate on reducing the swelling, and resting, so your knee can heal. Don’t look at resting/icing/ elevating as doing nothing, look at it as giving your knee the best opportunity in which to heal.

Thank you. Only people on this forum can relate and understand how this surgery affects us. Who would have thought I would be so looking forward to sweeping and mopping my floors again?!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom