TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Birthday Laura! :martini: sounds,like you had a great day! How nice of your hubby to buy you a nice purse! Glad your knees hung in there too!
Cathy
 
Poof aka Vickie - I have wanted to take a bath so bad (I LOVE BATHS) but I am not sure if I got in my bath if I would be able to get out as it is kind of deep. My husband says you better stick to the shower and jacuzzi for now or you will get stuck. Do you have any issues with this?
 
SadKnee, I had the same concerns about getting in and out of our jacuzzi tub also. Used to, I would step over the tall sides to get in. Now I put a towel on the outside rim, sit on It and then rotate my legs over into the tub. I do the same thing getting out. I lift myself up onto the ledge, rotate my legs to the outside and then dry them off. I am using upper body strength and the non-operated leg to lift myself up. (I don't know which one to call the good knee anymore, LOL). I am always super careful doing this, so that I won't fall.

Shower people don't understand how hard it is for us bath people to give up those nice warm baths. I also had to give up sleeping on my side and still don't sleep well. BTW, I cleared it with my Dr. before I started taking baths again.

How is your recovery coming along?

Vickie
 
I had used something at home which they also gave me in the hospital that was a huge, long, thick plastic bag with a suction cup that goes around the thigh. I never tried it, but the instructions on the box said you could bathe with it.
 
Hi,
I don't usually take baths but we do have a jacuzzi but haven't tried it yet. How is everyone feeling today? I am tired today my take a nap this morning! My doggie,has been up early her tummy was growling!
Cathy
 
I'm hopping in the shower soon for my PT appointment. I'm a bit sore today as I walked a lot yesterday. :(
 
SadKnee, I had the same concerns about getting in and out of our jacuzzi tub also. Used to, I would step over the tall sides to get in. Now I put a towel on the outside rim, sit on It and then rotate my legs over into the tub. I do the same thing getting out. I lift myself up onto the ledge, rotate my legs to the outside and then dry them off. I am using upper body strength and the non-operated leg to lift myself up. (I don't know which one to call the good knee anymore, LOL). I am always super careful doing this, so that I won't fall.

Shower people don't understand how hard it is for us bath people to give up those nice warm baths. I also had to give up sleeping on my side and still don't sleep well. BTW, I cleared it with my Dr. before I started taking baths again.

How is your recovery coming along?

Vickie

Hi Vickie, thanks for your steps on how you get into your tub I greatly appreciate it! Before my TKR I only bathed and never showered so I really miss my baths! You are right bath people really do miss it!!!!

I read your instructions to my husband and he said she must be very small and thin and then he looked at me and said please don't try this you don't have the upper body strength. Grrrr at him. He wasn't trying to be mean as he is not like that, I just think he does not want me to get stuck in the tub :).
 
Sad knee, I also did a "dry run" LOL, and tested my technique out about putting my legs in and out, without water in the tub. I did NOT lower myself into the tub without the water though because I knew the water would help me to get out. My husband was also very concerned about me taking a bath. He was so afraid that I would fall. Maybe you just need a little more time to recover before you try it. We are very lucky that our husbands want to take care of us. It was very hard for mine to let go just a little and let me try and resume my life. He had gotten so used to taking care of me that he wanted to do everything!

Has your incision totally healed so that you can immerse it in water? Mine has closed, but it's a very angry red!

Vickie
 
Hi Vickie my OS gave me the OK to immerse my knee at my post op appt but then au waited another week to be on the safe side. I will post a pic of my incision on my thread and tag you so you can see it. It is looking better each week. I think I will make some new strides this weekend as it will all be on me for everything. I am going to drive myself for the first time today. I will try my dry rub in my bathtub when my hubby returns home. Have a nice day!
 
Hi
I just have a regular tub from the 50's lol. But I don't take baths so haven't tried it. The big jacuzzui ones can be tricky I bet!
Cathy
 
I have a question, does anyone feel a clickig in their knee after they bend it while they are straightening it? just wondering.... hope all you ladies have a good night.
Susie
 
I hear that clicking or clunking is normal. I had it more in the beginning and it seems to be lessening now. I'm not sure why it's lessening other than perhaps my muscles are getting stronger? I'm wondering if anyone knows why.
 
Hi,
I have that clicking or clunking also. I read somewhere that one your muscles get stronger and hold the knee in place it stops. I don't know if it completely stops or what. I sure everyone is different.
Cathy
 
I feel something in there too, if I am tuned into it. If I'm not thinking about it, then I don't really notice it. So I guess the answer is sometimes.... :)
 
Hi Cathy,
Just posted in my thread about being able to wear a heel for the first time in a couple years. I'm about to leave for my birthday party and wondered if I could wear some heeled boots. What a difference!!!! My left knee doesn't feel that great, but what a huge difference in my right knee! Although it's swollen and still not 100% by any means, I don't have that weird arthritic feeling which would stop me from wearing heels. I feel like kicking up my heels in fact! :-) Hope all is well with you and everyone else!
 
Recovery update: Next Tuesday will be my knee's six week anniversary. I am still having good and bad days like lots of other people. Some days I feel really positive and then other days, my sore knee just takes over.

I do exercises daily at 1:00 and I can pretty much count on my knee bothering me for the rest of the day. However, I can also tell that it is getting stronger and maybe some muscles are beginning to shape up a little.

I''m really thankful to have this recovery thread, because on days that I feel like nothing much is changing, I can always go back and read how I felt a week, or sometimes even just a couple of days before. It also has helped me that I've taken pictures of my knee as it has healed on the outside and can really tell a difference there.

Right now, it feels like I'm moving forward very slowly. It's tough at this stage when some friends and family think that you should be ok by now and everything should be back to "business as usual". I really thought about just deleting this post, but maybe someone else out there feels a little discouraged like I do right now. If you understand what I'm talking about, let me know. I could use some encouragement.

:sad: Vickie
 
Vickie, I do totally uderstand what your saying. I think even we think we should just be "there" already. I agree sometimes friends and family dont realize it is a slow process. I too can look back and see ive made a lot of progress but some days I have that feeling change is not coming fast enough and its so easy yto feel discouraged. I think that is a big mark of this healig process, the good days and the bad days! Know your not alone and if you ask me it sounds like your doing to terrific! Remember as they keep telling us here, be patient it will come. Hang in there Vickie and know we are all right here with you
Hugs
Susie
 
Hello Vickie....I also completely understand what you're saying. Heck, it's been over three months for me and even a night out for my birthday was an effort for me. I thought it was all cool that I could wear a small heeled boot and feel good, but having my knees bent for three hours at a restaurant was a killer! :( It's extremely hard for me to get up in the morning or get up from a seated position if I haven't been moving around. Soooooo stiff in the back of my leg! Those muscles will hopefully stretch out in time but OMG! It hurts. Makes me wonder how flying on an airplane will be in June. Hopefully it will be better by then.

Patience is totally what this is about...and diligence in doing what is good for you like icing, elevation and of course your prescribed exercises. You will get there hun....trust me. It seems like I hear these various stages from others and that's what keeps me going. Knowing I'm not the unusual one y'know?

I just wanna be ordinary! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom