Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR VA Mom March 2023

She told me I should be at a very high level of pain during physical therapy
Ask them to explain, very slowly, why this is so. Why causing pain to already quite seriously traumatised tissue can be a benefit.
If you see them again, that is. Maybe just don't bother.
 
Thank you all for your insights and advice. I have requested a new physical therapist. Here’s hoping we’re on the same page!

I have another question. I am 9 DPO BTKR today and I’m still using my walker but I’m hoping to graduate off of that in the next week or so. Did those of you with bilateral knee surgery find that you could use a cane? I don’t understand how to use a cane when both knees are weak. Did anyone use walking sticks or forearm crutches? Thank you for any advice.
 
So happy to read that you are getting a new therapist, @VA Mom ! The fact that you are taking control of your recovery is great!

I'm afraid I can't help with your question about moving to the cane, since I only had one knee replaced. If none of our other bilateral members stop by, you could post your question on their pages or review their thread for information if they are no longer active on the site. You can find them by typing Bilateral TKR into the Search box at the far right of the blue tool bar.
 
Here’s hoping we’re on the same page!
I didn't do formal PT, but I did see them while in the hospital to help get me up and moving, plus allowed one to come out once or twice after I went home, as my insurance also has the PTs check on the patients plus remove all the ace bandages, etc. But, before I allowed them near me, I set the ground rules and told them what was, and wasn't, allowed and what I would and wouldn't do. That makes sure you're on the same page, regardless of the Pt's personal philosophy, as it's your body and only your decision on what is acceptable, and what isn't.

No one, not your doctor, PT, spouse, friend, neighbor or the perfect patient who "sailed through recovery with no pain", :heehee:, can tell you how to recover. You can listen to advice, but in the end only you can decide what course your recovery will take. Well, only you and your knee can decide..........
 
I think forearm crutches will be a good idea. I had both kneecaps removed years ago, which leaves me with weaker than normal knees. After I graduated from the walker, (around 6-8 weeks), I used the forearm crutches for about a month then slowly went to a cane. I think they would keep you sturdier.
 
Beachy, you have a wonderful sense of humor and have an entertaining way of looking at things such as PTs who don't empathize with our pain. I was lucky to have a gentler PT, but I think they are few and far between.
 
Thank you, @lovetocookandsew. You’re right. We have to be in charge of our recovery, even though that can be difficult with so many contradictory opinions. But, in the end, it’s our body. We are the ones who have to live with it. :tada:
And, thank you, @sistersinhim. I think I might like forearm crutches. Did you find them easy to master? Or, a bit of a learning curve?
 
There was a small learning curb, but I had no problem mastering them.
 
18 DPO today and I finally got a real shower! My OS said I could shower on Day 3, but my shower is really awkward to get into. So, with some advice from my home physical therapist , a small step stool, and a shower chair, I finally did it! It was a joint effort with my husband’s help to get in and to get out, but we did it! Washing my hair for real was an excellent feeling. But, until I could do that, I had used those disposable shower caps with no rinse shampoo in them during my bedside sponge baths, and those really helped me feel better until I could actually shower today. I definitely recommend those!
I‘m still using a walker, but my physical therapist is going to try to help me transition off it this week. Here’s hoping that goes ok. :) :-) (:
I appreciate reading everyone’s stories. I have learned more from this forum than anywhere else. And, the community and camaraderie has been such a great support. Thank you!
 
We're happy to read you're finding the forum helpful. Thanks for sharing that, VA Mom and for joining us.

First "real" showers are wonderful! I think my first was pretty quick, but none the less satisfying.
I wish you luck with transitioning off the walker this week. Please let us know how it goes, we're rooting for you!
A great week to you!
@VA Mom
 
And, thank you, @sistersinhim. I think I might like forearm crutches. Did you find them easy to master? Or, a bit of a learning curve?
These were the ones I was given by my hospital and I definitely found them helpful. I felt very safe with them and carried on using one crutch until about 3 - months when I switched to just carrying a foldable stick.
They weren't difficult to use- no learning curve needed. Just physio in hospital gave me a couple of lessons on how to walk and use stairs.
 
I greatly prefer forearm crutches too. They are much more controllable. So note that you cannot rest on them like you can with the regular crutches (which you aren’t supposed to do anyway.)
 
I‘m still using a walker, but my physical therapist is going to try to help me transition off it this week.
There is no rush to get off of the walker. You can do a lot of safe walking with it. I was still using mine out of the house for at least 6 weeks. I was so afraid of someone bumping into me and then falling. That is something no joint replacement person wants to do! Your safety comes first, not some time table!
 
Thanks again, @sistersinhim. I don’t like these “timetables.” I don’t feel secure with the cane, which is what my physical therapist wants me to transition to. Especially in the morning, or after sitting awhile, I feel so stiff and unsteady. A cane doesn’t feel like enough yet. I like the walker. I feel more comfortable with it, even as I lean on it less and less, so I know I’m making progress. I think I’m going to get something more bilateral, like forearm crutches or hiking poles. Just to see.

Also, these variable pains in my knees are such a pain, too! Pun intended. Every day it seems that one part of my knee feels better, but another has more pain. :nah:I’m guessing that’s probably normal, but it’s frustrating.

And, I’m getting quite a bit of pain in one of my SI joints. All the stretches I know require positions I can’t get my body/knees into right now. :bow:I have been doing seated hamstring stretches, but that’s it. Anyone have any other suggestions?
 
I found the forearm crutches were a good transition from the cane. The most important thing, though, is to not be forced to do anything you are not ready to do. You know your body better than anyone else!

Those 'popping up' pains are completely normal. Aggravating, but nothing to worry about, just part of the healing process.
 
A cane doesn’t feel like enough yet. I like the walker. I feel more comfortable with it, even as I lean on it less and less, so I know I’m making progress.
Only you know what you are feeling. The PT is there to offer suggestions, but you have every right to say "no" if something isn't right for you.

I started to transition by using the cane in the house (where I could put the other hand on a wall, if needed!) only and continued to use the walker when I went out. It took time to feel steady with the cane, but I did get there in my own time.

You will transition when you feel ready. Don't let anyone push you.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a good month so far.
Wishing you only the best as you continue healing! :)
@VA Mom
 
All the stretches I know require positions I can’t get my body/knees into right now. :bow:I have been doing seated hamstring stretches, bu
Not surprised- since you have had bilateral surgery and don't have a good leg to help.
I was able to get down on the floor to exercise at about 5-6 weeks but don't think I could have got up again without my good leg. I think just walking as well as you can and stretching out your stride may be the best exercise at your stage. But others who have had bilateral surgery may have better ideas.
Random pains are totally normal as well.
It takes a good while for your gait to fully normalise and until then you will be putting all sorts of forces on different joints.
I can walk really good distances now without a limp but I am still aware that when standing for any length of time I put most of my weight on my good side.
 
Actually thinking about it you may be better off with a bilateral -as you will not be as lop-sided and tending to favour your good leg as someone like me! So maybe your rehab will be more evenly balanced?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom