Bilateral TKR VA Mom March 2023

Thank you, @Layla ! Sometimes I can’t believe it’s only been one month, and other times it seems far longer than one month! It’s definitely two steps forward, one step backwards (pun intended) on this recovery, isn’t it?

And, thank you for your thoughts @EalingGran. I appreciate that.

I’m still plodding away. The main issues currently are that I seem to be struggling with flexion and perhaps going backwards with extension. I’m not super worried about it because I’ve been reading BoneSmart, but it is a little bit concerning. I am doing outpatient PT now with a therapist I have worked with before. He is willing to be conservative and not overly aggressive, which is how I want to proceed. I’m doing some strengthening and some stretching, overall fewer exercises than my in-home PT hade me doing.

Also, I question for all of you out there that had knee replacements. I’ve been having a regular clunking in one knee. It started at about two weeks and has consistently continued when I walk. When I asked the PA about it, she said it might get better or I might just get used to it. What have others experience been with me clunking? It doesn’t hurt, it’s just slightly annoying.
 
I’ve been having a regular clunking in one knee. It started at about two weeks and has consistently continued when I walk. When I asked the PA about it, she said it might get better or I might just get used to it. What have others experience been with me clunking? It doesn’t hurt, it’s just slightly annoying.
You will hear from others saying they've experienced the same. While I haven't had a knee replaced, this a very common question. The clunking sensation is the prosthetic settling in with the surrounding soft tissue in an effort to eventually work seamlessly together. Since there is no accompanying pain, try to rest assured that this is an occurrence shared by many during the healing process.

A great week to you VA Mom!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, VA Mom!
I hope you've enjoyed some progress since you last posted. Let us know how it's going for you when you have time. Wishing you a lovely Spring!
@VA Mom
 
Hi @Layla thank you for checking in on me. I’m doing pretty well. My left knee feels really good - strong with little pain, just that relentless stiffness. My right knee still has pain daily and keeps me from sleeping in a bed. I know that the 2 knees are siblings, not twins, but it is frustrating and sometimes worrisome. I don’t know which knee is the “normal” one, but from all I have read on here, they probably both are! :good-bad:

my physical therapists at outpatient have been good. No pain, just strong discomfort when we try to get my flexion and extension, but again, after all I have read on here, I’m not super worried about getting certain numbers. Plus, two different therapists got very different numbers on my same knees, so it’s all just a ballpark idea anyway. :whistle: I am going to start focusing a bit more on function, and being able to do things I used to like cooking meals for my family and being able to do the workouts I love. But, slowly is still my mantra. I am currently icing and elevating as I type.:ice:

i am so grateful to this amazing community! I am on here daily. I can only imagine how different and difficult my recovery would have been without you all to “talk me through it” virtually. Thank you!
 
I am going to start focusing a bit more on function
You have the right idea the numbers really don't matter. It's what you can do that counts. When I returned to my OS for my 2nd after-surgery appointment, he only wanted to see what my knee could do. I moved it all on my own and never did he measure me.
i am so grateful to this amazing community! I am on here daily. I can only imagine how different and difficult my recovery would have been without you all to “talk me through it” virtually. Thank you!
Thank you so much! People like you make our time trying to help others so rewarding. I found Bonesmart 6 months before my TKR so I knew what to expect. That was extremely comforting in those dark, painful days! Now, it's payback time for me to try to help others!
 
You're welcome!
I like that you keep in mind that the knees are sibs, not twins. :wink:
I am sorry, Righty, is hindering you a bit but have every confidence given more time that will all resolve. You're doing great! You have the right idea on not focusing on any numbers, but rather engaging in the activities of daily living which is healthy exercise and will help you re-gain stability while your ROM naturally increases over time.

Thank you for your kind words in regard to BoneSmart. It is much appreciated. We treasure you being a part of it all and hope you will continue to share your journey with us. All the best to you!
@VA Mom
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well and only keeps getting better for you.
With any luck you’re getting back to making meals for your family and engaging in the workouts you were missing. Wishing you a great Summer 2023!
@VA Mom
 
thank you for the anniversary wishes! I haven’t been on here as much lately as we are in the summer months here in the United States (where I am) and my children are home from school and that keeps me very busy.
in the good news department, I have been cleared by my orthopedic surgeon to go forth and live my life without any further follow up until my one year anniversary (unless anything changes with my knees). He eyeballed both my knees and told me I was 115/2 on my right knee and 120/0 on my left knee. He had told me prior to surgery that his goal was just to get to 115, so he is pleased. And, I have graduated from physical therapy.
we went on a family vacation and that was the first time I really took my new knees out for a spin. :spin:We walked 2 to 3 miles most days, but one day we did 6 miles, and my feet hurt worse than my knees! I never could’ve done that six months ago.
In the less good news department, my knee still hurt every day, although it’s not that bone on bone pain anymore, thank goodness. I still need to take Tylenol twice a day. Every couple of weeks I try skipping the Tylenol for a few days and I immediately regret it. :no-fin: I am hoping there will be a day when I no longer need daily Tylenol. Also, without the pressure of knowing that I’m going to be seen by my PT, I have been slacking off on my home exercises. I really need to stay on that, at least in some form. As you all know, we’ve gone through too much to take anything for granted.
overall, three months has been a great turning point. I no longer think about my knees every day all day, although still quite a bit. And, most excitedly, I no longer get stuck with my legs in extension. I used to “get stuck” if I stood at the counter, making a cup of coffee, or if I sat on the couch and put my legs up. I’m so glad to be free of that!
I hope that all of my fellow bones smarties are doing well!

@Layla
 
What a great update, thanks for sharing!
I think you’ll be able to stop the daily Tylenol one day. Rather than trying to skip it for a full day every couple weeks…I wonder if only skipping one of the two doses will be too uncomfortable for you at this point? Consider that rather than skip a full day.

Thanks for stopping by and letting us know how well you’re doing.
May it only get better! :)
@VA Mom
 
Thanks, @Layla. I’ll try just one dose of Tylenol a day for a few days and see how that feels. That’s a great thought. :thankyou:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom